Update time... and I wish it was a happy ever after story, but alas, I'll have to wait for that a bit longer...  :thumbdown:

Car is still with the dealer - Turbo replaced and the other minor issues sorted which leaves one last item.

Vibration whilst at idle. 

When in 'D' 'P' or 'N' and at tick-over, circa 800rpm there is vibration, it can be visibly seen by the off side windscreen wiper jumping around on the screen.

Rev it up or put it in 'S' or 'M' and it goes away and is very smooth, as these modes raises the tick-over it's not too surprising.  :nerd:

It's worse when it's cold, but still present when warm. It's not an oil burner engine either.  :S

The dealer can't seem to get to the bottom of it: He is adamant that it's not a mis-fire or engine running related and suggested that it could be engine mounts ect...

However, there is never any noise or vibration when the engine is running above idle, so who knows....

It's nearly a month now without my motor  :sweat:

Edited by dougle03

Is it all fixed and up and running OK ?

Must have been typing my update whilst you put your message up!!

But...... No  :no:

When the car starts, does it go to 1,100 rpm, then drop to 800 rpm in 40 seconds?

Does it have new spark plugs in and have the coils been replaced?

Are the Spark Plugs in the ones that were put in when the Replacement Engine was Fitted.

Did the Workshop actually remove and check the Spark Plugs?

?? 

What kind of other issues were there needing fixed? Just the Gear Stick Detaching.?

? Who were the Dealership that did the Engine replacement, 

the same place as did the Turbo Replacement?

Edited by goneoffSKi

When the car starts, does it go to 1,100 rpm, then drop to 800 rpm in 40 seconds?

Does it have new spark plugs in and have the coils been replaced?

Are the Spark Plugs in the ones that were put in when the Replacement Engine was Fitted.

Did the Workshop actually remove and check the Spark Plugs?

?? 

What kind of other issues were there needing fixed? Just the Gear Stick Detaching.?

? Who were the Dealership that did the Engine replacement, 

the same place as did the Turbo Replacement?

Yep, the engine races for a short time then settles to c800rpm - Only when cold though, otherwise it just settles at 800 and rattles........

Don't know about the plugs and coils - The dealer would not entertain any conversation about plugs and coils because the computer says no mis-fires despite trying to tell him that the ECU does not always catch these things....

Presumably they are the same, the engine was only done in Jan this year.

I don't think the workshop has ACTUALLY checked the plugs ect... See above

Other non-engine and gearbox issues were sorted, but i did ask them to check the DSG as I felt it was a bit rough, but they say that is fine. To be fair, I do drive a Phaeton during the week, so anything is going to feel rough compared.... :)

Skoda in Leeds Did the engine replacement back in Jan 14, and Skoda Mansfield have the car now and it's them who did the turbo...

I think I'm going to have to insist they check the plugs and coils aren't I...?

In a moment of desperation, I mentioned that I might raise a support ticket with Skoda UK -

Even I was alarmed by the service managers response - He strongly told me NOT to raise a case as he was more than capable of dealing with the issues.

This got my mind racing;

Have they changed the turbo? or was it some other minor fault that they charged Skoda more for...

Or,

all the stuff about being mapped, was that for real to try and get double bubble for the turbo replacement.

Remember that the selling 'non-skoda' garage have paid for the Turbo replacement because Skoda Mansfield said that the car had been mapped and not covered under warranty. Have they done a warranty job for Skoda AND charged the other garage for the work too...!!!

The plot thickens....

Edited by dougle03

Well one thing is clear, a case does need raised with Skoda UK. 

You need to know the truth behind the Engine Replacement.

As to Misfires and Spark Plugs, Fault Codes might not register for Misfires with the car sitting in the workshop engine being revved in 'N'.

There will not be enough Misfires in a Cycle even with failing Plugs sometimes until under load.

& there can be no Logged Misfires even with a Spark Plug Failing in No. 3 Cylinder.

I think they are Misleading You, and you need to Register a case with Skoda UK, and find out who is kidding who here.

Presuming things is not a good way to get a engine running correctly,

This Remap Stuff and Turbo Failure, and Map Removed & 40 miles to settle, is just lots of guff from them.

They need a basic check of the Plugs as a starter and they need to presume nothing.

george

PS

1,100 rpm is not the engine racing, it is how things should be on start up, not only in cold weather,

it is the same on start up on a 26*0C day. Then drops to 800 rpm.

It is their Diagnostic that may not get the Misfire, nothing really to do with the ECU.

If you are underload the ECU might well pick up the Misfire and the EPC light will show, 

or the Exhaust Control System Light will show.

PPS. 

What is it Skoda UK is paying for then,   if anything i would certainly contact them,

Do you have a Case Number & a Handler?

Edited by goneoffSKi

Wow, impressed how much BS is being peddled to you dougle03. First of all require ALL the paperwork from the garage that replaced the engine, then the same from the one which is messing you about now. Make copies and send a hard copy Firsy Class Recorded letter describing everything and asking for their assistance. One can build a car in a month's time...

On the other hand, look at the bright side, when it is all sorted out your car will be like new with almost all important bits fresh :)

Thanks all for the advise.

Reference to starting a case with Skoda Uk;

I know it's good advise, but I'm putting this off for now as I want to keep the local dealer engaged as willing partners rather than under the spotlight from HQ. I know this is a risk of drawing out the process, but I am documenting everything that's happening in a way that can be relayed to SUK if needed, but I would rather keep to local dealer on side for now at least.

Currently, I think the SUK warranty has only paid for the non-engine related items; Gear knob, centre arm rest ect...

The garage I bought the car from have picked up the new turbo costs; further work costs will depend on what they discover is causing the vibration problem at tick-over.

It's possible, and the dealer inferred this during the last conversation, that the engine replacement last Jan might have been botched. Which if true re-opens the possibility that the Turbo failed due to poor fitting rather than the fabled re-map. I doubt I'll ever get to find out, but there is not a lot of evidence of Turbo's on this engine failing regularly, mapped or otherwise!

One thing is for sure, I'll be rejecting the car If Skoda refuse to sell me an extended warranty (I was always planning to buy an extended warranty anyway).

I'll be ringing the dealership tomorrow (Mon) for an update (They were supposed to call me on Friday) and will insist that they check the plugs and coil packs! even if I have to pay for that myself, not willingly of course...

I'll update again tomorrow. Pete

Ohh, one final thing. I mentioned to the garage that when the engine was replaced in Jan, the V5 did not seem to have been updated with the new engine serial number. This I know because the the previous V5 was given to me for signing and I took a phone-photo of it before handing it back, this included the document number and date which was 22-10-13, presumably when the one previous owner moved house and certainly prior to the engine replacement in Jan 14.

The service manager said that updating was not necessary because when they (Dealer) get these new engines, they not stamped and arrive blank, the old engine number is transferred!

I've never heard of this before, could this be true? ...remember, it was the Service Manager telling me this, not the dopey service reception gorilla!! 

Stamping blank engines with the number from the old unit seems to be practice widely employed (do not want to use the word standard) by Skoda Dealerships. I suppose it is OK if the old engine gets the numbers deleted from the block.

I understand your drive to keep it dealer level and perhaps it will pay off, keep us posted.

Unstamped Complete Build Engines are not sitting around in Depots & Wholesalers.  around the World, off a Production Line,

they have Numbers on the Block,

they have Paper Work and Invoices & Bar Codes to track the Engines.

& then the DVLA want to Know what is in Vehicles, & Dealers & Workshops can have the Invoices & Letters for the Evidence as required.

Legitimate Engine Builders, Refurbishers etc can Restamp Engines, Blocks etc,

They keep records of all that.

It is amazing just the Stories some make up at Garages.

Just ask for the Letter Confirming the Replacement Engine has the Same Engine Numbers as the Original Engine,

& the name and signature of the Technician that stamped the Numbers on the Block.

http://findlaw.co.uk//law/motoring/vehicle_registration/9951.html

Other Briskoda Members have had the Correction made of Incorrect statements made by Workshops changing the New /Refurbished 

engines in the Twinchargers.

Edited by goneoffSKi

So, It's update time again.

Got a call today from the the Service Manager, I think he has taken this problem child on directly... Telling me that their efforts to track down the vibration at tick over might have had some success.

Apparently, the tick over vibration goes away when the Air Con is turned off...?

They tried to see if it was engine load dependant by switching every electrical item on, but nothing triggered it apart from the AC.

He was going to call me back when they had investigated it further, but said that if the gas was too low or too high that this can cause vibration.

He never called me back later in the day to confirm.

So here's waiting for tomorrows thrilling instalment...

It was a bit galling today because I had to tax a car that I've not had the use of for the last month... :(

So, It's update time again.

Got a call today from the the Service Manager, I think he has taken this problem child on directly... Telling me that their efforts to track down the vibration at tick over might have had some success.

Apparently, the tick over vibration goes away when the Air Con is turned off...?

They tried to see if it was engine load dependant by switching every electrical item on, but nothing triggered it apart from the AC.

He was going to call me back when they had investigated it further, but said that if the gas was too low or too high that this can cause vibration.

He never called me back later in the day to confirm.

So here's waiting for tomorrows thrilling instalment...

It was a bit galling today because I had to tax a car that I've not had the use of for the last month... :(

Sorry, I have just seen this.

Have the garage checked for an uprated lower engine mount or lower engine mount bush.

I have one of these on my car and although to my mind it is minor ( i.e difference between zero vibration and a tiny amount) there is a small increase in cabin vibration on my car when cold, clears up entirely when warm and/or when no AC is on.  Seems to mirror your symptoms.

It may even just have had a new OEM mount bush fitted when they replaced the engine, this may still be stiff and need breaking in? Or they may have uprated the shore slightly on this part in the CTHE revisions? Just speculation but would fit with some of the comments on the CTHE's better drivability (is that a word?)

No vibs on my CTHE vRS, aircon on or off.

But your engine is running healthy, a rough idle may be more pronounced if the shore is only a little harder, (PS, it was just a thought, that may or may not prove useful)

If not this, then still well worth checking if the OP's car has something like a Superpro or Powerflex bush in there.  The stpck lower mount is pretty soggy and should always give very good refinement.  So if not that then investigate the right and left side mounts.

My honest advice...

Get rid! 

This will really wear you down eventually and because you are having so many problems now, when it is fixed any slight noise etc will have you rushing back to the dealers. I had over 12 months of back and forward to the dealers and people thought I were mad for keeping the car but I really did like it so I did it but eventually enough becomes enough.

I now drive another car that I have had no problems with and I don't feel like I need to listen out for noises etc, I just jump in and drive.

It's time to notify Skoda UK, and raise a case.

Had a terrible call with the dealer this afternoon. After spending nearly two days trying to get hold of him (Service Manager), and being fobbed off by the reception more times than I can remember, I asked for the dealer principle! funny that the Service Manager was then suddenly available....

Guess what...? It's not the AirCon causing the vibration....  :dull:  Which to be fair, I was struggling to believe it would be anyway! 

The next bit floored me: I asked him what else was being done, he said: "Nothing for now, my technicians have more important things to do!". Actual words!! 

So, paid warranty work to fix a problem is no longer considered viable work such that it can be swept to one side despite the very likely negative response from customers?

I very strongly suggested that this was not acceptable and was unacceptably poor customer service, "At least lie to me...", but I got nowhere with him.

It's then that I said that I would have no alternative but to raise a support case with Skoda UK.

Again, he seemed extremely keen to dissuade from doing this, and when I said that he's leaving me no choice, he said that raising a case would not speed the work up, and if anything, would likely slow it down. He also said that the "supposed mapping would also be a problem" I pointed out that, they have done warranty work already on the car and have never yet given me any evidence that the car was mapped either. His 'mate' has apparently been in to remove the map at a cost of £150, (would be interesting to see if that went through the books?)

Either way, I said, "NO WORK IS BEING DONE", therefore what was to "slow down"....

His name is Matt Boultby, Service Manager at Rainworth Skoda in Mansfield, Notts.  :wall:

I will be logging a file with SUK and I'll be writing to the dealer principle. I don't know if this dealership is part of larger group (research required), I suspect it is, and, if so, will also be writing further up the tree too. "it might be a waste of time, but I'll feel better..."especially once I've posted the open letter to Twitter, FB and of course on here!!!"

I really like Skoda generally, I've owned vRS's before so know the brand is good. this is looking like a case of a 'potentially dishonest'  s*it dealer, with p*ss poor customer service provision, and that s an opinion I'll be more than happy to spread to the four corners of the internet too!

This Service Manager has been argumentative, aggressive, confrontational and generally does not display the behaviours and values that Skoda UK work hard to instil into their brand. I'm a construction Project Manager by trade and more than experienced dealing with 'difficult' contractors and their representatives, but I was hoping to keep things reasonably pleasant in this case as the next nearest dealer is much further away!!

I'm also aware/suspect that this post may be read by persons connected to the dealership and my message to you is: "Sort your f*cking s*it out before I have too...!"  :finger:

------------------

I wouldn't mind, but I own and drive a £60,000 VAG group car during the week, and even though VW's service is a "bit s*it" it's like 'Aston Martin' when compared this dealership's support!!!  :envy:

Rant over! that is all....

Edited by dougle03

Basically you should have been Dealing with Skoda UK Customer Services from the beginning, 

All the best with it.

http://rainworthskoda.co.uk/theteam.php

What does the 'Skoda Group Warranty & IT Manager' in the 'Team' do?

Edited by goneoffSKi

What does the 'Skoda Group Warranty & IT Manager' in the 'Team' do?

<cough< made up job title <cough>

Basically you should have been Dealing with Skoda UK Customer Services from the beginning, 

All the best with it.

Of course you're right, but I wanted to keep this friendly and at a local level. It's clear now that's not possible!!

Does the collective wisdom on this site have some tips ect to help me get to the right person within SUK quickly? I'm not sure I have the energy to spend hours going round the houses  :no:

Edited by dougle03

Contact made with SUK through the online support request form. I think the line "suspected warrant fraud" might just grab their attention... 

The Plumber, Why Contact Alasdair Stewart first off. ?

First things first, you raise a Case.

There are Owners that have been messed about by Skoda UK HQ & Customer Services for weeks and months that needed to get through to Alisdair Stewart, Brand Director Skoda UK.

Edited by goneoffSKi