Twin boot electrical infrastructure

Hi, 

my superb started throwing reversing light bulb errors, I checked bulbs - they are ok. Later noticed that opening small tailgate, interior boot lights doesn't go on, only it goes with hatchback boot open. Also while closing/opening small tailgate in some degrees boot lights turns on. So decided that this is a wire problem in place where wires goes in that twin boot mechanism. Reversing lights also related to that.

I'm planning to cut the wires(near rear window) and connect new ones and insert through that metal boot arc-tube. (or there is some other better method?)

So my question is how many wires goes to the tailgate inside that insulation? 

What proper insulation should I use to protect wires from friction to that arc-tube again?

Maybe someone already encountered that problem?

Hi, 

my superb started throwing reversing light bulb errors, I checked bulbs - they are ok. Later noticed that opening small tailgate, interior boot lights doesn't go on, only it goes with hatchback boot open. Also while closing/opening small tailgate in some degrees boot lights turns on. So decided that this is a wire problem in place where wires goes in that twin boot mechanism. Reversing lights also related to that.

I'm planning to cut the wires(near rear window) and connect new ones and insert through that metal boot arc-tube. (or there is some other better method?)

So my question is how many wires goes to the tailgate inside that insulation? 

What proper insulation should I use to protect wires from friction to that arc-tube again?

Maybe someone already encountered that problem?

I found post related to that: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/286139-superb-twindoor-wiring-fix/

I counted 10 wires in the loom. Still have question, what are diameters of those wires? Seems 2 brown wires are much wider than others. Could it be 2.5mm? What others - 1.5mm?

• 2 weeks later...

Issue solved. How it looked:

post-100958-0-23631200-1406100828_thumb.jpg

I was able to open only in sedan mode. So had to take plastic covers and take two bolts out of that twin latch mechanism, then slightly use force to open in hatch. 

I fixed it in this way, all 10 cables. Used 0.5 mm and 1.5 mm wires:

post-100958-0-36690500-1406100832_thumb.jpg

Isolated with tape:

post-100958-0-93455600-1406100835_thumb.jpg

and put it back:

post-100958-0-73455200-1406100839_thumb.jpg

I took ~2 hrs and 1 beer can. I had no more time, so fix isn't perfect. Did no soldering and no aditional protection from bending. Will see how long it takes to break again. Difficulty: easy. Money spent: 2 eur. for wires, thermal insulation and tape.