Just ordered a Yeti L&K 170!

michael99

HI All, 

I have not been using this forum much so far. I bought my wifes Roomster last year, however I have not really had a lot to say about it yet. Its been ok...just a bit thirsty as its the petrol 1.6 version

I`ve been thinking about upgrading my own car for a whilst (Fiat stilo JTD...cheap & reasonably reliable before anyone comments!)

Since I just turned 40 I was thinking I would have an excuse for my wife to preempt the mid life crisis with an audi TT mk 1. But,I have now come to the conclusion  I am fed up with unexpected garage bills, & the TT would be high risk in the maintenance department.

So my 2nd choice was a mk1 VRS fabia, however I think the fabia is something you probably leave behind in your thirties & its just a bit too basic looking for my tastes now.

So I settled on a Yeti...it has to be the L&K version with all the bells & whistles! I decided to go for a lease from fleetprices on the internet. They had a

very good deal with maintenance costs included....so now I just need to wait approx 12 weeks...I have not got my build date confirmed yet.

I've been watching this youtube video of the L&K far too many times!   Its what sold me.

Cant wait! 

• Like 3

Having just taken delivery this week of a 170CR L&K Outdoor 4x4 DSG I can honestly say you will not be disappointed, no way, and this is from someone that has just come from a Superb Combi Elegance 3.6 V6 4x4 DSG.

The torque of the 170 engine is great and I do believe the ride is better than the Superb (18" wheels) and the DSG mates perfectly with the engine for seemless changes.

Great decision, hope you enjoy yours as much as I am

Btw: after reading many topics on the seats and their range of adjustment, I went for the recommended electric adjustment and really pleased I did.

• Like 3

I agree with all of the above but I do feel for you having to wait,I was lucky enough to find an ex demo so only had to wait just over a week .three months? I don't think i could take the wait.

• Like 1

What colour!

Any other extras with the order?

Metallic black paint was the only option I went for, I figured the L&K should have the required options already! Plus its a lease so I do not want to pay for extras that I`m returning after 3 years. Kessy sounds cool but I think I can live without it. MIDI was a close call but I am on android & I`m hoping bluetooth is adequate, plus I assume its got an aux in too?

I agree with all of the above but I do feel for you having to wait,I was lucky enough to find an ex demo so only had to wait just over a week .three months? I don't think i could take the wait.

Yep its going to be a long wait...I doubt I`ll be able to ride around with the panoramic roof open in October!

Having just taken delivery this week of a 170CR L&K Outdoor 4x4 DSG I can honestly say you will not be disappointed, no way, and this is from someone that has just come from a Superb Combi Elegance 3.6 V6 4x4 DSG.

The torque of the 170 engine is great and I do believe the ride is better than the Superb (18" wheels) and the DSG mates perfectly with the engine for seemless changes.

Btw: after reading many topics on the seats and their range of adjustment, I went for the recommended electric adjustment and really pleased I did.

Oops, something I missed, I`ll have a good read on the topic. Thanks for the heads up!

Although we did not opt for the L&K, we spec'd an Elegance up to, if not over, the L&K std spec. The reason for this was that my wife did not like the brown leather and I did not want (had no need for) an oil burner. While I know the L&K has the all singing and dancing sound system it was not on our must have list. That additional cost was better spent on the additional warranty (lease peps won't worry about this aspect).

Now that we have had the 1.2TSi for a week, the 'glad we had them' options are the panoramic roof, electric drivers seat, park assist and KESSY. These are superb vehicles to drive.

• Like 1

I went back to the lease company to check out prices for Kessy & electric seats as they do look rather tempting options.

Unfortunately the quote is £22 extra per month over 3 years. I`m going to force myself to pass on this....even though its rather tempting, considering its a lease car it does not seem worth paying for the options over 3 years if you do not own it.

I also finally got my build date, week 44! that`s practically winter!

Have you got the Samaritans number that's another quarter of a year,did u list winter tyres as an option?

Umm no, I did buy a set of winter tyres for my wifeys roomster last year & that was a waste of time, gloucestershire didnt see much cold weather at all.

Whats the odds its going to be a snow storm this year! 

I was kind of hoping the 4x4 option would see me through without the winter tyres...but I`m probably being a cheapskate.

Umm no, I did buy a set of winter tyres for my wifeys roomster last year & that was a waste of time, gloucestershire didnt see much cold weather at all.

Whats the odds its going to be a snow storm this year! 

I was kind of hoping the 4x4 option would see me through without the winter tyres...but I`m probably being a cheapskate.

It's pot luck sometimes if we get much snow in the winter and I used to share your view on winter tyres. However having taken the decision a few years ago I would not look at running summer rubber in the winter again. The difference in grip in the colder temps (less than 7 deg C) is very noticeable even without snow. Remember that a 4x4 option may well help with traction to get or keep moving over a 2wd car but it will be exactly the same when braking or trying to change direction with the throttle off in an emergency. All seasons may be worth a look as a compromise.

Anyway congratulations on ordering the Yeti! I'm sure you'll love it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting, 

I personally feel the ride in our L&K is not as good it was in my old Superb Combi (170CR Elegance) the Yeti certainly crashes over potholes more than the Superb ever did, thats not to say I’m disappointed with the Yeti... it’s just not as comfortable as the Superb was.

I do agree on the electric seat however, its an option I would not have gone without.

Well I`m going to forego the electric seat option, that combined with Kessy adds almost 20% to the monthly lease payment....its not worth it for me.

However I am having second thoughts about MDI as I do use my phone as the audio hub for all media in the car....internet radio, music, etc.

However, after reading up about it, I cant see that its worth it over bluetooth or aux-in other then MDI will charge the phone? Or perhaps I`m missing something?

So far I have read on the forums, on the head unit side, the Columbus will do its job of ensuring full functionality to the phone with bluetooth...steering wheel control, track lists etc, but on the phone side, its very much dependant on which model to choose for bluetooth compatability.

So providing phone compatibility is sorted, it does not sound like MDI can offer much if I am using an android phone. It seems like all MDI can do is charge if using an MDI to USB cable as audio streaming wont work nor will phone calls though it.

So bluetooth or aux in sounds better to me anyway if using an Android phone? and charging can be done via a lighter socket pack.

Oops, that should be 10%, not 20%..where is the edit post button anyway!

Well I`m going to forego the electric seat option, that combined with Kessy adds almost 20% to the monthly lease payment....its not worth it for me.

Using Bluetooth or aux in you have to select tracks etc on the phone the steering wheel controls only work with MDI

Ok good to know, so I expect the steering wheel controls do not work through an android device connected up to MDI with a micro USB cable? Nor streaming or phone functions?

Basically you need an Iphone to make any use of MDI I assume? 

MDI works with iPhone/ipod and various other phones & USB devices.

It gives you full access to playlists, artists, track selection from the headunit, as well as charging the unit.

It is well worth specifying - it is a very useful improvement over the Bluetooth streaming option. And I would recommend also getting a brodit centre-console mount so you can hold the phone somewhere useful rather than it languishing in the cubby at the base of the centre console.

347wsq1.jpg

I personally would choose the lecky seats over kessy.

I sit down in the car more than get in and out of it. Using a remote isn't hard.

I know kessy is great as I had it on a BMW 535d msport a few years ago. But I prefer comfort in the car rather than getting in and out.

I`m sure I read somewhere on a blog that MDI only charges on android phones...but hey, if it does a lot more then that, I`ll take it!

edit - and the Brodit!

Edited by michael99

If I had the chance of electric seats I would go for personally because in my case 2 of use the car ,and there's a foot difference in height,if your the only driver I agree with your choice,as to the music I found that using 16 or 32mb card so much music (albums)can be stored on these it's a great system to have,I have found no loss in having no mdi,hope this helps

• Like 1

I`m sure I read somewhere on a blog that MDI only charges on android phones...but hey, if it does a lot more then that, I`ll take it!

edit - and the Brodit!

I quite happily charge my current iPhone 5s/iPad Mini and have previously charged my iPhone 4s using MDI cables.

Having read LOTS of posts about the Columbus & BT/ AUX / MDI, there is VERY little mention of the SD card slot along with around 16GB of space on a Hard Drive in the unit.

I have just loaded approx 6 GB of music off the SD card onto the HDD, it was a very simple process to do, & amending the list is also very simple.

It means i do not have either  - my phone battery running down playing music or have a charge cable loose between the 12v socket  & the phone to keep it topped up.

I never used the aux in my Octy & for me it is a redundant item in the Yeti.