Tdi 170 DSG 4x4 Real World Fuel Economy

Mence

Sorry if this has been posted before, I did have a quick look.

Title says it all really, I know whatever response I get it will be less than the official figures but I'm interested to know how good / bad it might actually be.

Thanks all.

I have had mine for 4 months now and am getting between 44 and 46 mpg (brim tested). This is on a mixture of A and B country roads mostly. Any speed above 60 mph hits the mpg. Badly if over 70 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the car only four days and the consumption dynamics are really interesting  as I am very keen on recording consumption figures.

I drive A and B roads to work and A and M roads home.

Driven in these conditions I am seeing 48+ on the way in and 54+ on the way home but that doesn't tell the whole story.

The fuel consumption around town (stopping/accelerating) drops to low-mid forties.

A/B roads driven 35-50 mph I am seeing up to 55 mpg

The killer is A/M roads at speed exceeding 65 miles an hour - shaped like a brick really hurts consumption,

M25 at night is more constant 60-65 rather than 70mph

Things will get better as the miles pile on, I recon you need at least 12K before you see diesels at their best.

These are maxidot readings with aircon off, but climatronic unit on.

Everyone will have different opinions, but not everyone drives the same roads in the same style.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ddyer79

Maxi dot claims 49mpg.

It's really 47mpg.

Remapped (200bhp) with 75% fast A roads/Motorways and 25% town work.

32k miles.

Doesn't include track days or towing cars on trailers.

Thanks guys, not quite as bad as I feared, fully accept that they hardly cut through the air with that shape but all in all encouraging.

BossFox has done some miles so his is nice and loose but it has been remapped, be handy to get an occasional update from the 'standard' boys as the miles pile on.

Appreciate you commenting.

Mine is 4 months old - has now covered 10,000 miles (as of today).

Up to about 6000 miles it was returning around 38mpg but all of a sudden things seemed to change (like the engine had been run in) and now I get between 40-42mpg.

Thanks guys.

137699, I have noticed same with the Octy 184, turned over 5k and it now does easily 5-7mpg more without me changing my driving style.

I could live with low 40s but nothing less really.

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting this as one of the road testers claimed an average of 48+ mpg on a recent continental trip thrashing along German motorways. Personally I think he must have used Skoda claims instead of actual figures unless the latest engines are super efficient. I have done 7 Yorkshire - Cornwall trips recently as fast as conditions allow and, even with 20 miles of the M1 at 50 mph, I really struggle to get more than 40 mpg out of my tdi 170

And how fast was "as fast as conditions allow"?

As has been reported in the past, as soon as you exceed 60ish the fuel consumption suffers.

Even towing the caravan down to the daughter's in Cornwall I can get mid to upper 30's!

On TIBET III's 'Day Out To Dubrovnik'* 2900 mile road trip, the figures for 3 up and with the rest of the space crammed with much stuff was 43 mpg (real world, not Maxidot claim) at an average speed of 54 mph. Most of it was motorway cruising at 130 kmh or so (80-85 mph). 

Non-DSG CR170.

* Well, 10 day road trip really....

Mine is an April 13 car, also manual. I understood and accepted the impact of the Yeti shape. I suppose my real question is how a group from EVO managed to get 48 on a trip where they were seeing speeds into three figures. I thought there might have been an engine update. I will write and ask EVO.

Mine upped MPG at around 6000 miles - it has recently done it again at around 14000 miles. I'm now on 16,000 miles (8 months old) and its now returning 42-44mpg quite consistently - I do a lot of motorway mileage and typically sit with the cruise set at 75mph (+/- 5mph).

My 2011 CR170 (manual) returns around 40mpg (real figures).

That's "driven with enthusiasm" on mainly rural and hilly twisty roads.

The Fuelly figures in my sig is way out of date...I've covered over 10k miles in my ownership (car just approaching 40k).

I had a 2011 170 tdi, I drove it for 120,000 miles over three years, the maxi dot showed 44 mpg for the life of the car as I never reset it.

Driving was all styles, Motorway at keeping up in the fast lane speeds) Towing trailers with cars on and town driving.

Probably the worst case scenario for best MPG

I had a 2011 170 tdi, I drove it for 120,000 miles over three years, the maxi dot showed 44 mpg for the life of the car as I never reset it.

It would not have been for the life of the car. The maxidot resets itself every 5000km.

It would not have been for the life of the car. The maxidot resets itself every 5000km.

I can't argue as I never really monitored that close as fuel was paid for, but I never reset maxidot from the day I got the Yeti, only ever showed around 44 mpg on the "average mpg 2" screen.

Here in Switzerland, popping between villages, running the 50 minutes down the motorway into Geneva once or twice a week, nipping down to the local shops, we are averaging 43.6 mpg. Wonderful car!