skoda octavia armundsen sat nav

Travelling back from Worthing Sussex to Bournemouth Dorset yesterday in my new TSI VRS - Fantastic car apart from built in SAT NAV. Selected home address at start of journey. 80 mile journey on A27 and M27 - straight road basically and no traffic conjestion. Sat Nav repeatedly suggested turning off left, presumably toward ferry terminals! Has anyone else had similar problems and if so what is the resolution? Thanks.

Edited by gem

What type of route did you select (green, orange or red highlight)?

Have you got any avoidances selected?

Mine is generally very good, but have been caught out by selecting a scenic route at the weekend, then it defaults to that setting when using the maxidot to select the route.

Thanks for your reply Miz. Have done this journey 3 times and each time selected a different route ie green, red, orange and each time the same thing happened. I don't think I have any avoidances set but will check.  Looks like a trip to the Skoda dealer!

My car is race blue also but is the 2.0 litre VRS TSI petrol manual model. Really impressed by the build quality, performance and economy. After a round trip round trip of 170 miles odd yesterday the computer is telling me that the fuel consumption was 39.2 mpg and the engine is not run in yet - I have only driven about 500 miles so far.

Are you pleased with your car? 

Edited by gem

Yes I am, mine is about run in, just under 8k now, still finding new things to adjust/wonder at. Will have to make some time for playing with voice control soon though..

I would check the traffic on the route, and turn off the traffic avoidance on the Nav to see if that is the culprit, couple of times mine has wanted to re-route me to avoid incidents, when the radio was reporting that the roads were now clear.

Edited by Miz

When I have entered the home destination and selected the route the sat nav annouces that "the route includes ferry connections" which is a nonsense because it is a straight road for virtually the whole journey on A27 & M27

When I have entered the home destination and selected the route the sat nav annouces that "the route includes ferry connections" which is a nonsense because it is a straight road for virtually the whole journey on A27 & M27

I would select avoid ferries in your options.

Something doesnt sound right. I think the only possible ferry around there (which you wouldnt take anyway) is the Hythe Ferry, and thats footies only.

When it first comes up with the routes, do they look right? Are they following the roads you expect? I would assume not if its telling you its taking you on a ferry.

During your journey does it tell you the route is being changed because of congestion?

You shouldnt need to tell it to avoid ferries, because there are none to be used for that journey.

Immediate thought is that your home address is wrong on the Sat Nav. Or, is there an option in the settings to use ferries whenever possible? If so, perhaps this is enabled, so the SatNav is taking you round the houses just so you use a ferry. I dont know that such an option exists, Im just guessing as to what could be happening.

Have already done this and has made no difference.  I assume that if there is a fault it would be covered under the warranty so I wil go and see the Skoda dealer.

Nice dog you have.  I used to have a golden labrador who lived until he was 14 - I still miss him now and he passed away 5 years ago!

Edited by gem
  • Like 1

Somethings definitely amiss then if its trying to use the ferry (which doesnt exist on that route) even though you have told it to avoid them.

What a wierd satnav they chucked in yours!!

Does it do it for other journeys?

Thanks for your reply JungleJames. There must be some humourous connection in your user name but it eludes me!

The home address is showing correctly.

There are ferries from Portsmouth, Southampton and Lymington along the coast parrallel with the route I take but ferry connection are turned off in the options menu anyway. There is no annoucement regarding the route being changed. I don't like to be defeated but I am competely perplexed by this so I think I will have to let Skoda sort it out.

Sorry, no humorous connection in my username!

When the routes first appear on the screen, do they look correct? Are they following the roads you expect? I assume not?

It was the ferries to the IOW that I was thinking of. Pompey to Fishbourne, then Yarmouth to Lymington, something like that.

Edited by JungleJames

It should not make a difference, but what version of maps do you have?

Mine is/are

Hardware 040

Software 0435

Maps 5E0051236E 0040 ECE 2014/15

It should not make a difference, but what version of maps do you have?

Mine is/are

Hardware 040

Software 0435

Maps 5E0051236E 0040 ECE 2014/15

The Ferry Map by the sounds of it :D

I personally gave up on the Amundsen sat nav when it kept on indicating I was in Wolfsberg ! Even when in "normal" mode I find it confusing & unhelpful - the 3 journey choices only show them on a map, whereas I'd prefer to read them as text before selecting one.

I have reverted to my Tom Tom device (sits on a mat, almost 3 hours use before any cable needed), which I find far easier to use, only switching to the Amundsen sat nav if I'm unsure of any speed limit on any given road I'm on - it IS good for indicating speed limits.

JKW

I personally gave up on the Amundsen sat nav when it kept on indicating I was in Wolfsberg ! Even when in "normal" mode I find it confusing & unhelpful - the 3 journey choices only show them on a map, whereas I'd prefer to read them as text before selecting one.

I have reverted to my Tom Tom device (sits on a mat, almost 3 hours use before any cable needed), which I find far easier to use, only switching to the Amundsen sat nav if I'm unsure of any speed limit on any given road I'm on - it IS good for indicating speed limits.

JKW

Another car with a problematic Satnav.

Ive never had any problem. Admittedly it isnt always the most user friendly, but Miss Amundsen and I usually get on quite nicely.

I checked all the route options last night and to my amazement "avoid motorways" was ticked.  I don't remember doing this but with the touch screen it's not difficult to select the wrong item. Hopefully this will resolve the problem - I will have to put this down to my own stupidity rather than an issue with the equipment!

Thanks anyway for all your responses / comments which promted me to check out the route options.

• Like 1

Exactly my thoughts so the next time I do the trip to Worthing I will check this as Im not sure how I would simulate this route ie from Worthing to Bournemouth if the car is actually in Bournemouth. I have ticked the avoid ferry option so if if does it again I wil be off to the local Skoda dealer.

I'm unimpressed with the Amundsen sat nav.  In fact the whole system is rubbish in my opinion, but that's another topic.

I've never seen a factory fitted satnav that isn't rubbish, that's why i'm sticking with my £100 TomTom with free map updates for life.

Personally I find the route finding capabilities to be excellent, the traffic system updates in a much more timely manner than my (admittedly old now) TomTom. The user interface does leave a little to be desired, they couldn't had devised a more irritating postcode entry system if they'd tried, but I can live with that to get good core functionality, i.e. route finding.

Regarding the speed limit indication, this is the thing I'm lacking compared to my old TomTom, anybody know where that's buried in the menus? To be fair I haven't really played with it, but I feel a comprehensive menu navigation coming on. I suppose I ought to scope out the full functionality at some point.