Need to Replace Front Left Dipped Beam

Warning come up and checked and bulb gone. Is it easy to replace and where is easiest place to buy a bulb on a Sunday or Monday?

Got a 10 reg Skoda Superb estate.  Cheers

Xenon or halogen? Always change in pairs, and use the "old" bulb that is still working as a spare.

Xenon or halogen...No idea, how would I find out. For the sake of this pretend I am blond  :blush:  :blush:

The OP's car info says he has an Elegance so that would mean he has xenons..... Don't forget that xenons should always be replaced in pairs as over the life of the bulb the colour temperature changes and you will end up with the two headlights shining different colours. ;)

Cheers

Dave.

The OP's car info says he has an Elegance so that would mean he has xenons..... Don't forget that xenons should always be replaced in pairs as over the life of the bulb the colour temperature changes and you will end up with the two headlights shining different colours. ;)

Cheers

Dave.

Correct yes. Halfords then for bulbs and easy to replace via manual?

I'd shop around online rather than just going straight into Halfrauds as xenon bulbs are a lot more expensive than a normal halogen bulb.

I've never changed a xenon bulb myself in 11 years of having cars fitted with them but i think you have to disconnect the ballast for each bulb before replacing them due to the voltages involved.

Others with more experience in changing them will help more i'm sure. :)

Cheers

Dave.

If you have xenons, get a pair of Osram Xenarc's. Sources can be hids-direct.co.uk or powerbulbs.com. A good xenon burner will be around 70 quid, so do be aware of buying "genuine" Osrams on eBay for a tenner...there are fakes out there.

I'm in a similar position today with my 2011 estate, the offside bulb seems to have packed up. The cheapest I've found is on eBay item number 151190246565 if you're interested at £135 for two. I think I will get my local independent garage to fit them though. I will of course establish first that it is the bulb that's packed up. Oddly, the rubber cap on the back of the headlight had come off (but not lost - just below where it should have been) but there was no condensation in the unit. All the other bulbs in the unit seem to work ok.

Edited by Knowsley

If you're in uk, a pair of genuine bulbs should cost you £70-80 for the both of them.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/index.php?/topic/314078-Xenon-Bulbs

I believe you need the D1S bulb according to the osram vehicle app.

being dumb again, everything in the link still seems to be indicating about £75 each?

and to confuse me even more, the 2 websites linked in the other thread refer to 2 different bulbs?

the D1S here

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/categories/manufacturer/skoda/superb-hid/2008-present/dipped-beam

The D2S here

http://www.powerbulbs.com/vehicles/cars/uk-ireland/skoda/superb-hid/2005-onwards/car-headlight-bulbs

:wall: :wall: :wall:

and to confuse me even more, the 2 websites linked in the other thread refer to 2 different bulbs?

the D1S here

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/categories/manufacturer/skoda/superb-hid/2008-present/dipped-beam

The D2S here

http://www.powerbulbs.com/vehicles/cars/uk-ireland/skoda/superb-hid/2005-onwards/car-headlight-bulbs

:wall: :wall: :wall:

I anticipated your confusion on bulb selection, which is why I wrote "I believe you need the D1S bulb according to the osram vehicle app".

I anticipated your confusion on bulb selection, which is why I wrote "I believe you need the D1S bulb according to the osram vehicle app".

Cheers but begs the question, which one is right???

If you don't fancy taking the old bulb out to check then I'd call Skoda UK with your reg number and ask them: 08457 745745, option 4. Or better still ring your local dealer.

Even better still check the owners manual in the glovebox. I just checked the owners manual for the MkII Superb on Skoda's website and it states D1S.

It is fairly straight forward to change the xenon bulbs but due to the high voltage associated with the xenon's via the ignitor I'd source the bulbs yourself and pay a local garage the tenner they'll ask to fit them for you.

If you don't fancy taking the old bulb out to check then I'd call Skoda UK with your reg number and ask them: 08457 745745, option 4. Or better still ring your local dealer.

Even better still check the owners manual in the glovebox. I just checked the owners manual for the MkII Superb on Skoda's website and it states D1S.

It is fairly straight forward to change the xenon bulbs but due to the high voltage associated with the xenon's via the ignitor I'd source the bulbs yourself and pay a local garage the tenner they'll ask to fit them for you.

I rang the local garage earlier and they wanted £137 a bulb and £80 install. Are you saying that it is impossible to do yourself. Happy to have a go, I assume they are some instructions in the car manual.

There are no instructions in the manual as Skoda don't provide instructions for any bulb replacements that they don't want you to attempt yourself.

It is no more complicated than replacing a standard halogen bulb but then I found even that quite fiddly.

When you say 'local garage' do you mean a Skoda main dealer or local independent?

There are no instructions in the manual as Skoda don't provide instructions for any bulb replacements that they don't want you to attempt yourself.

It is no more complicated than replacing a standard halogen bulb but then I found even that quite fiddly.

When you say 'local garage' do you mean a Skoda main dealer or local independent?

Actually are instructions in the manual and as you describe very simple. However......

School boy error......Replaced the bulb and new one didn't work. Then checked the 'broken' one in the working one and its fine so the issue is either electrical or a fuse. Anyone any ideas? Not having any luck of late............... :rain:  :rain:

I am in exactly the same position with my offside light. I suspect it is the ballast/controller that has packed up. I am taking it into a Skoda dealer this afternoon. They don't have a ballast unit in stock but they will run the diagnostics. I will post on here what the outcome is later.

I am in exactly the same position with my offside light. I suspect it is the ballast/controller that has packed up. I am taking it into a Skoda dealer this afternoon. They don't have a ballast unit in stock but they will run the diagnostics. I will post on here what the outcome is later.

Yes please!