Satnav map update limitation

I have owned my car for nearly three weeks now and despite some early towbar issues, I seem to be settling into the car nicely. With regard to the satnav map updates, it seems a straight forward process and I have just updated to the latest 40 ECE for the Amundsen. The problem now arises that the three year limit of updates only applies to 6 updates in total, according to a VW forum - see below.

"Below is a response from VW UK which I received in answer to my query about the free map updates for 3 years. I couldn't understand how it worked as it appeared that from the update website you could just keep downloading the latest maps without any time limits.

From the response it is also clearer why people are having problems using any old SD card to copy the maps to, and also serves as a warning when buying second hand SD cards as these could have been updated a few times and so therefore may end up useless sooner than you think.

Just thought I would share the info.

GP

Discover navigation updates

We are pleased to be able to inform you that our Product Marketing Team has announced the process for navigation updates to be downloaded to The New Golf. As you are aware, the vehicle is supplied with navigation data pre-loaded on an SD card. This card has seven licences built in; the first licence is used by the pre-existing data on the unit. This allows our customers to download 6 updates over a three year period.

You can check the data version in your vehicle by selecting menu and then setup on the navigation system in your vehicle. The latest version available to download is shown on the following website:

http://www.volkswagen.de/de/models/g...n-updates.html

There is currently no option to display this site in English, so we would recommend using Google Chrome as your browser which will provide an automatic translate option.

If an update is available, it can be downloaded via www.navigation.com select your manufacturer and follow the onscreen prompts. When you have exhausted your free downloads, you can purchase a new SD card from your local Volkswagen Retailer or pay for individual downloads via the site.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK."

Assuming VW and Skoda have identical satnav software, am I right in thinking I now have 5 updates left for the next 2 years and 49 weeks!

The updates are released for Skoda every 6 months, which equals 3 years if you update with each one so there should be no problem anyway assuming that you navigation unit came with the latest version of the maps (which may not be the case).

I think this SD-Card limitation may only apply to Amundsen as for Columbus you can use any SD-Card & I think the map installation is linked with the build date/VIN of the car.

• Like 1

Sorry how many roads wrre built in the last 6 months?

If you lived in Syria it could be quite handy to have regular updates....

(No offence meant to anyone....)

• Like 1

It's not how many roads were built in the last 6 months but how many were built a year ago as the updates are at least 6 months out of date when they actually get released.

It's not just roads that are updated, what about all the other data that goes to make up the complete navigation package: POIs, speed limits, one way streets, post codes, name changes, corrections to errors etc

• Like 1

O/t. But since I did the most recent map update. Iv lost the speed limits displayed on the screen. Any idea how to get this back

I've never had speed limits displayed so would also be interested in how to get them

• 1 month later...

Do I have the total of six licences of maps updates free to use anytime or just three years update period which expires no matter I ever updated?

My assumption would be No, 6 version updates or 3 years.

Which means you can update with all of the map releases for the first 3 years (one release each 6 months).

Or you can update once to the version released 3 years afer you car was produced.

I would assume after 5 or 10 years you can also update the maps but it will only accept the maps version which was released 3 years after your car was built.

I would be suprised if the Amundsen SD-Card tracked the number of times it was updated.

I would assume the map data has a version number built inside somewhere & the navigation unit stores the "as delivered" version number.

Therefore if you car is built with version 020 of the map data, it will only allow you to update to version 026 but not beyond.

Do I have the total of six licences of maps updates free to use anytime or just three years update period which expires no matter I ever updated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The answer is.........nobody knows for certain.  Except for Skoda and they are not saying. I suspect because they do not know the answer themselves.

• Like 1