Rear parking sensors fallen in!

acwuk

Hello

My L&K Yeti is just about six months old and a couple of days ago when I put car into reverse I noticed that the rear sensor volume was on all time indicating I was right up against something, got out and checked but rear was all clear but noticed the nearside sensor on the black bumper had fallen inside and was thus giving a false reading. On contacting Skoda they said it was due to 'Low Impact' bump from another vehicle, thus poss not under warranty., no marks at all on bumper so it seems strange to me that a 'Low Impact' bump should cause the sensor to come loose as I would have thought it would take more than that to displace it. Has anybody else had same problem?

Many thanks

Yes, twice.

Once in France due to their "bumper" method of parking, and lately because I misjudged a trailer move. 

Neither really marked the bumper.

I was lucky and the first one the dealer refitted for nothing. The other I did myself.

You will find that the silver section of the rear bumper can be unclipped from the main part of the bumper if you use a thin wide blunt screwdriver around the upper edge, and there are a couple of screws along the bottom.  Start at the middle carefully and work towards the dropped sender. You can then JUST get your hand inside to refix the senders. The one above the exhaust is the worst so I cleaned it inside with a cloth on a stick then carefully put some Bostik Clear through the hole and then pressed the sender back in. Seems to have refixed mine.

No not yet but it just beggars belief. You would think after spending much dosh they would have said roll it into your dealer and we will advise them to pop it back in. Was that the Skoda dealer or Skoda UK that gave the advise.

Many thanks for quick replies:) It was Skoda Uk that said it would be due to the impact, still UG so wil see what dealer says when I take it in next week. Not having much luck with car at moment as already had fraying seat belt replaced.

The clips that hold them are relatively simple, the only way for it to come out once its correctly placed in the bumper is from being bumped which opens the clip and pops the sensor. I've replaced one on my Audi (same type) and the clips are quiet secure.

I've suffered what felt like a fairly high impact bump from a dozy twit reversing in to me in a car park while I was sat in the car.  I was surprised to find that the bumper survived completely unscathed (albeit that was the front bumper).  It doesn't surprise me that it's possible for a sensor to be popped out by a bump that doesn't leave any other evidence.

If you've only spoken to Skoda UK so far I'd definitely try taking it in to your dealer to see what they say.  From Graham's description it doesn't sound like a big job so unless they're busy I'd expect they'd offer to do it while you wait at no charge.  If they won't do it FoC then probably anything more than an hour's labour charge (given that most of these places seem to bill in whole hour increments) would be seriously taking the p*ss.

I hate fiddling with these plastic bits myself.  It always seems far too easy to bend or completely snap off one of the moulded clips that hold them in place, leaving you with the choice of putting up with it being looser than it should be, bodging a fix, or shelling out for a whole replacement part.  (SWMBO's sister managed to break off one of the spigots that the rear parcel shelf of SWMBO's Polo pivots on.  It was a choice between £££ for a new parcel shelf or bodge a fix for pennies with bits from the toolbox, a self-tapping screw and some black insulating tape.  It works, but it's annoying that the most vulnerable part of the whole assembly isn't replaceable.)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update you, I took the car into Arnold Clarks of Inverness in last Friday and they confirmed, on inspection, that although the bumper showed no marks at all the clips inside holding the sensors were broken, and as per Skoda UK instructions, it was not covered under warranty thus quoted me one hours labour plus sealant required to re-fix sensors. They requested to keep car afterwards until later in the day to let sealant 'cure'. In fairness to AC they were very good and have no complaint with them however I regard this problem as a design fault and will be taking it up with Skoda UK.

however I regard this problem as a design fault and will be taking it up with Skoda UK.

It's not really a design fault at all, just a consequence of being hit by some dull twit. The plastic will deform as designed for low speed impact protection and things like clips will spring out sometimes.

Just bad luck - get it fixed and count yourself lucky it was just a low speed impact!!

• 2 years later...
On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2014 at 20:21, Yety said:

It's not really a design fault at all, just a consequence of being hit by some dull twit. The plastic will deform as designed for low speed impact protection and things like clips will spring out sometimes.

Just bad luck - get it fixed and count yourself lucky it was just a low speed impact!!

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2014 at 16:26, acwuk said:

Hello

My L&K Yeti is just about six months old and a couple of days ago when I put car into reverse I noticed that the rear sensor volume was on all time indicating I was right up against something, got out and checked but rear was all clear but noticed the nearside sensor on the black bumper had fallen inside and was thus giving a false reading. On contacting Skoda they said it was due to 'Low Impact' bump from another vehicle, thus poss not under warranty., no marks at all on bumper so it seems strange to me that a 'Low Impact' bump should cause the sensor to come loose as I would have thought it would take more than that to displace it. Has anybody else had same problem?

Many thanks

1 hour ago, muddyjim said:

Probably lucky it was only a bumper hit and not a wing or door etc; that would cost much more than an hour's labour and some sealant....

Jim 

I was in the car all the time went from my house using reverse to get out of parking place sensor was working had car valeted got back home and sensor was in bumper and I am 100 percent sure nobody hit the bumper

One used to fall inside my Superb bumper regularly. Fortuately could remove a couple of screws and reach in to reposition it. Eventually taped it into place. The hole through the bumper which had been replaced after a rear end shunt was slightly too big

8 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

One used to fall inside my Superb bumper regularly. Fortuately could remove a couple of screws and reach in to reposition it. Eventually taped it into place. The hole through the bumper which had been replaced after a rear end shunt was slightly too big

The sensors in my 2012 Yeti has tiny rubber grommets. I suppose these can fall off if sensors are pushed in through the bumper.