Failed my MOT today - Bonnet wouldn't open!

I took my 2010 Superb for its first MOT today, confident it would pass with flying colours.  To my dismay, when asked to pop the bonnet, nothing happened when I pulled the lever.  MOT guy couldn't get it open either so automatic fail!

When you pull on the lever there is no movement other than the sense you are stretching the cable - i.e.no sense that anything is moving in the latch.

Needless to say I have never had any problem opening it until today. Any suggestions?

Ian

Hi vrsadz,

I don't think so - otherwise the lever would be loose.  It feels like the lever is pulling the cable but with no subsequent movement of the locking mechanism.

Ian

Think this common, I had a problem that the lever wouldn't pop out the grille, had to prize the lever out of grille with a screw driver to get the bonnet open then cover the whole mechanism with WD to get it to work.

Mine was a bit stiff and reluctant to open - just needed a bit of WD40 on the mechanism (once open!)

Not sure how you'll get yours open - maybe a spray of WD40 through the grill with the little red tube you get with the can?

Thanks guys.  I had a look at the grille, but there is no clue where the locking mechanism is.  Its years since I opened the bonnet (I know, shame on me) and can't remember where the wee lever comes out.  Can anyone advise where, exactly, to spray the WD40?

Thanks

Ianpost-60931-0-82291000-1405458291_thumb.jpg

Sorry mate how got mixed up with my old Superb, which I had the same problem, on this car the catch is just to the left of the badge you can just see it through the bonnet gap, probably the reason why it's a problem as it would be in the fire of rain and road dirt, I had to carefully push on the bonnet and bounce the front of my car whilst someone pulled on the catch release leaver to get the bonnet to open, then when I could get to the under bonnet leaver I could pull it but if would stay stuck open, drowned it in WD40 and its been ok since.

Edited by bryanp

I think it will have come apart at the cable joint which is located at the rear of the n/s headlamp unit, (basicaly 2 cables joined together) Its like a ball and socket in a black plastic housing which clamps the ball and socket together. Very common, we see it a lot, N/s wheel off and plastic arch liner out to get to it (not a hard job, fiddley) When we refit it back together we put a tie wrap around the plastic housing to stop it re opening again.

• Like 3

Sorry mate how got mixed up with my old Superb, which I had the same problem, on this car the catch is just to the left of the badge you can just see it through the bonnet gap, probably the reason why it's a problem as it would be in the fire of rain and road dirt, I had to carefully push on the bonnet and bounce the front of my car whilst someone pulled on the catch release leaver to get the bonnet to open, then when I could get to the under bonnet leaver I could pull it but if would stay stuck open, drowned it in WD40 and its been ok since.

Thanks Bryan - I will try this tomorrow if I can persuade SWMBO to help!

I think it will have come apart at the cable joint which is located at the rear of the n/s headlamp unit, (basicaly 2 cables joined together) Its like a ball and socket in a black plastic housing which clamps the ball and socket together. Very common, we see it a lot, N/s wheel off and plastic arch liner out to get to it (not a hard job, fiddley) When we refit it back together we put a tie wrap around the plastic housing to stop it re opening again.

Thanks Sherlock,

If bryan's suggestion doesn't work I'm afraid its off to the dealer to sort it out - sounds too fiddly for me!

Try getting SWMBO to push down on the bonnet whilst you pull the release lever, this should allow the catch to release easier

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guys, you shouldn't really use wd40 unless you need a quick fix, as it's a solvent and will end up stripping off the grease that is actually there. You need to use a grease like white lithium.

The OP needs a quick fix!

He can't get at his bonnet mech to apply some long overdue lithium grease ;)

WD40 official website:

http://wd40.com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/

Edited by Defenderben

Cheers guys. Reminds me I need to grease the hinges sometime though I don't think ours will be seizing up any time soon as I clean and dress the engine bay every other month. 

My dealer greases the bonnet latch and all door hinges during each service.

I think there may be some confusion here with the lever that protrudes out of the grill. This is only relevant for the MkI Superb and MkII Octavia.

The MkII Superb has the more traditional paddle/lever that is exposed when the bonnet is released and lifted against the catch.

Another reason to use a main dealer for MOT's, especially the first MOT when the warranty is about to expire is that they check for anything that could be replaced under warranty.

My 2011 Superb passed it's MOT this morning (Pulman VW in Durham) and I've been charged only £19.95.

They have asked to keep the car overnight to replace the Bolero radio (service campaign) and a few grommets under the bonnet all before the warranty expires in a few days.

Blimey..... Only a year overdue then :)

Cheers

Dave.

LOL over here in Northern Ireland we get our first MOT on our fourth birthday.  Having said that the procedure is a lot tougher (or at least it used to be) than on the mainland.  You guys can take the car to a local (approved) garage, right?  Over here it is done at a government-run facility which is much less lenient or forgiving!

• Like 1