Location of xenon headlight ballast?

Location of xenon headlight ballast 2011 Skoda Superb?

Having eliminated the possibility that it was the bulb that had failed, I now believe that I may need to replace the ballast on the offside headlamp. I have found this for sale on eBay for £85 (link below). Does anyone know where the ballast is located?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-SUPERB-3T4-Estate-3T5-HELLA-Xenon-Control-Ballast-Unit-5DV-009-00000-/271261527672?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f28726e78

Many thanks in anticipation!

Location of xenon headlight ballast 2011 Skoda Superb?

Having eliminated the possibility that it was the bulb that had failed, I now believe that I may need to replace the ballast on the offside headlamp. I have found this for sale on eBay for £85 (link below). Does anyone know where the ballast is located?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-SUPERB-3T4-Estate-3T5-HELLA-Xenon-Control-Ballast-Unit-5DV-009-00000-/271261527672?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f28726e78

Many thanks in anticipation!

I now know that the ballast is below the headlight Edited by Knowsley

• 4 years later...

Sorry for jumping onto this old post but I think I am faced with the same problem. Where exactly did you locate the ballast unit on the headlamp and was this something you changed yourself or was it bumper off in the garage?

6 hours ago, pdrisc said:

Where exactly did you locate the ballast unit on the headlamp and was this something you changed yourself or was it bumper off in the garage?

It is located under the headlamp (fixed in place with two screws on the bottom of the headlamp ... there is a ballast (which is positioned closer to the engine, and the AFS module(each headlamp has both of them underneath) ... depending on your hands and tools it might not be required to remove the bumper, but you'll at least have to remove the wheel and wheel arch plastic cover to access the headlamp from the wheel arch side

• Like 1

As Vborovic says, it’s physically attached underneath the headlight cluster. Not sure if the bumper needs removing to take the headlight out...

chris

Edited by Chr15py
Spelling LOL

2 minutes ago, Chr15py said:

Not sure if the bumper needs removing to take the headlight out

To take the headlight out, yes .. to remove the AFS modules and the ballasts, no - I repeat:

1 hour ago, vborovic said:

depending on your hands and tools it might not be required to remove the bumper

Thanks for your help guys. I figured its too big a job for me so I have booked it into my local garage to sort it out. Is it worth replacing both at the same time or leave it to chance on the other one?

1 minute ago, pdrisc said:

Is it worth replacing both at the same time or leave it to chance on the other one?

What does it mean worth? If you can get two new ballasts for a fair price, you could replace both at the same time (especially if the bumper will be coming off). That doesn't mean that the other working ballast that you have won't be working for another 2-3 years, if not even more

• 5 weeks later...

Little update on this.

Quoted £275 for a replacement ballast from Skoda parts in the UK. 

I went on line and found this website https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/ where i bought the correct ballast for £83.55 including postage from Germany. 

I was worried whether it was going to be reclaimed unit but replacement unit is brand new made by hella that appears to have been manufactured in Sept. 

Very pleased now that its fitted and i have 2 lights again and i didnt have to pay nearly £200 more from Skoda for the same part!

IMG_0637.JPG

7 hours ago, pdrisc said:

Very pleased now that its fitted and i have 2 lights again and i didnt have to pay nearly £200 more from Skoda for the same part!

Good news!

You have got to love the VAG group and their different  owners. My Audi owning neighbor had a fit when he was quoted something nasty by the Audi dealer for ballast. I told him it would be a common part number and to go to the local Skoda dealer and ask for it. 

He did and was well pleased at saving over £90 (He thought a Volkswagen part might be "better" first though-  saw it was the same damn thing at a saving of about £45 and continued on to  the Skoda dealer...)

So, a Skoda owner like pdrisc sees the price and says "Bugger that - I bet I can get the part from an OEM supplier for less!" and does just that. Buys it for less than the  happy Audi owner saved. Sweet!

Skoda owners - Simply Clever at saving money and simply smart by not being "Brand Queens".  :clap: