She drives me crazy...no, really...

Driving from Berlin to Brugges today. 550 miles. For nearly all the journey Helga (the lady who lives in my Columbus SatNav - you may have a different name for yours) insisted 'Your route has been changed due to traffic conditions...continue on this road for a long time', Every two to three minutes. Completely spoiled the journey and it's not the first time.

Nothing on TMC, and comparing with Co-Pilot on my phone - again no road delays. I was stopped for an hour near Hannover...oddly this was never highlighted by Helga/TMC (but Co-Pilot picked it up). Route was actually exactly the same as I've been on dozens of times before. No changes despite the endless message. 

It's not the first time...but for eight hours, trying to listen to BBC podcasts constantly interrupted (and that's another Columbus issue...why can't you go back 30 seconds or just rewind an mp3...having to go back to the start of a 40 minute programme is impossible). The Belgian beer tonight is to compensate for a bad drive. Well, that's my excuse. I've never hit a woman, real or virtual, but it was a close run thing. (Only joking, thought police!)

Anyone else had this...anyone else felt like sticking their fist through the screen. Anyone have an solution? I need the NAV on to help with the journey...but can't stand this!

Thanks. 

I do sometimes get this when travelling around the UK - every few minutes she tells me I've been re-routed. I have thought about turning off the 'dynamic' feature but it's got me out of trouble on several occasions so I leave it on.

Perhaps it depends which traffic info is used, mine is set to 'Auto' so perhaps it sometimes gets conflicting information and one conflicts with the other, or maybe when 'stationary' traffic changes to 'queuing' traffic also has this outcome, I don't know but it's not just yours that does it.

I was travelling down from the North to Kent on the M6, M42 and M40 and she kept telling me to leave the bloody motorway - which was completely clear! The woman (and I named her Helga as well!) is flaming mad. Compared with Tomtom it is pathetic!

• Like 1

It's not the first time...but for eight hours, trying to listen to BBC podcasts constantly interrupted (and that's another Columbus issue...why can't you go back 30 seconds or just rewind an mp3...having to go back to the start of a 40 minute programme is impossible).

I have a number of long length tracks eg. 30 mins plus. I just hold down the left arrow on the MFSW and it begins to jump back a few seconds at a time. Obviously if you do the other one it will jump forward.

• Like 1

It took me a few days into ownership to turn the satnav announcements off, and have never needed them since. ;)

Before I did that though, I do admit to chuckling inside and thinking 'too true!' when I turned onto M25 and it said to continue on this road for a long time. :)

• Like 1

Had this on the way back from Le Mans last month.Nearly drove me insane, but I obeyed her instructions anyway.

Still ended up in a jam though.

Now I know what this 'DYNAMIC' facility means, I'll turn it off.

Driving from Berlin to Brugges today. 550 miles. For nearly all the journey Helga (the lady who lives in my Columbus SatNav - you may have a different name for yours) insisted 'Your route has been changed due to traffic conditions...continue on this road for a long time', Every two to three minutes. Completely spoiled the journey and it's not the first time.

Nothing on TMC, and comparing with Co-Pilot on my phone - again no road delays. I was stopped for an hour near Hannover...oddly this was never highlighted by Helga/TMC (but Co-Pilot picked it up). Route was actually exactly the same as I've been on dozens of times before. No changes despite the endless message. 

It's not the first time...but for eight hours, trying to listen to BBC podcasts constantly interrupted (and that's another Columbus issue...why can't you go back 30 seconds or just rewind an mp3...having to go back to the start of a 40 minute programme is impossible). The Belgian beer tonight is to compensate for a bad drive. Well, that's my excuse. I've never hit a woman, real or virtual, but it was a close run thing. (Only joking, thought police!)

Anyone else had this...anyone else felt like sticking their fist through the screen. Anyone have an solution? I need the NAV on to help with the journey...but can't stand this!

Thanks. 

Not sure whether this helps, but I am experiencing the same sort of thing with my new Yeti.  At the first TMC re-route or heavy traffic announcement, I get an endless stream every 15-20 seconds of " .........route has been changed due to traffic situation............"

I ran a VCDS diagnostic yesterday and found a fault code registered to the sat/nav (00862) that recorded an invalid earth to ground on the GPS sender or sat/nav unit.

Having spoken to servicing today they have booked the car in for review on 25th.

My previous two Superbs certainly did not behave like this.

Edited by ddyer79

A week on (including 550 mile/drive) and Helga has left me alone. I'll get my VCDS plugged in tho...good tip to check. But, the revalation is holding the arrow buttons to move back and forward in a track in HDD or SD. So many thanks...I don't know how I mised that in the manual...bu it is really helpful. Thanks. Coops and Paul007 deserve Mention in Despatches.

• Like 1

I also found out by mistake that if you push and hold the volume button on the steering wheel - it will either switch off or switch on the head unit.

:thumbup:

• Like 2