Yeti - Park Assist

lfc958

Having got home late last night & spotted a parking space, it looked very tight specially as you really need to put 2 wheels on the kerb due to narrowness of the road, I looked and thought  O.K. let's see if the park assist would work do it, as i would not have attempted it.

WOW it actually got the back wheel on and the front ' JUST ' then had me take over, it took 2 forwrd & 2 reverse to get positioned.

While i was quite impressed how it worked previously, to get into a really tight space on the kerb as well is WELL impressive.

post-1909-0-48026500-1405764815_thumb.jpg

I am too impressed with it but I just can't yet let it get to the 'self breaking' point. When the MD still says Reverse with bleeper on solid and you just have to stop and put it into Forward.

I HATE people who park on pavements!!

I dont like having to park on pavement either as this puts stress on CV gaiters & previous cars have had to have these replaced at 1st MOT :(

Unfortunately we have NO choice where we live as in the 20 years i have lived here we used to be able to park ON the road on both sides & still have room for a vehicle to get through without damaging any, manufactures have made new cars bigger & wider, but the roads & garages have not increased in size to compensate.

at least you have managed to get partly off road without some knowitall telling you have not got permission.

Scotland are about to make it illegal following pressure from Guide Dogs and the RNIB following the death of guide dog and the injury of it's owner, who was forced to walk down a road by cars parked on the pavement.

The second house we owned in Worcester had a similar problem on the estate until a complaint by a wheelchair user had the Police around, who warned everyone that they would give them a week to sort the problem out or they would issue summonses. A few residents though they were joking...............they weren't! Those that couldn't sort out their drives or front gardens had to find somewhere else to park.

• Like 2

Parking on pavements is technically illegal anywhere unless there is a sign and markings saying you can. The reason is that you cannor park on a pavement without driving on a pavement. However, the problem is that unlike other general parking offences it's the driver who commits the offence so an unattended vehicle cannot be ticketed. Unless a CEO or copper sees the driver committing the offence then nothing can be done.

It winds me up when people either do it where it's not necessary because the road is wide enough or they park blocking the whole pavement rather than just on the edge of the kerb. It's just plain inconsiderate.

Back to the original subject and while I don't have park assist on my Yeti I did have it on my previous car. It worked well enough although I didn't always trust it not to scrape my alloys (which were very exposed diamond cut wheels with no protection from the tyres) as these systems mainly line themselves up with the other cars rather than the actual kerb and if the other cars are touching the kerb you can emd up kerbing a wheel. When I did let it work it did a good job and was very accruate with the cars either side. It just took a leap of faith the firat few times. However, parallel parking is so rare for me that I was not bothered aboput having it on the Yeti and rear sensors are enough.

Cheers

Rog

Only way to resolve the problem here would be to take away the extra wide kerb stones that end the tarmac pavement & put the very narrow ones on.

OR

make it permit parking only, but that still would not resolve the issue of the road being too narrow to get service vehicles down without damage.

If the police started ticketing the street every resident would be onto the council to widen the road & narrow the pavement.

I can however park the MX5 on the road and leave plenty of room to opposite car but that is a narrower 12 yr old car.

They would have a job making that pavement any narrow as there is now a legal minimum of 1 mtr. We had a problem at our old shop where we wanted to fit a step for disabled people but that would have made the pavement too narrow.

There has been a "battle" in town where there is a very narrow pavement but to widen it would make the road too narrow!

(right by the white van)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.448606,-3.540166,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sgO8EV2A2jX0Jbaq6DUM8MA!2e0?hl=en

I dont like having to park on pavement either as this puts stress on CV gaiters & previous cars have had to have these replaced at 1st MOT :(

Unfortunately we have NO choice where we live as in the 20 years i have lived here we used to be able to park ON the road on both sides & still have room for a vehicle to get through without damaging any, manufactures have made new cars bigger & wider, but the roads & garages have not increased in size to compensate.

Either way, councils are complicit also.

I bet when you posted this you did not think all the 'where you can't park' clever dickies would be popping out of the woodwork...

• Like 1

Where my mum lives is very narrow with on street parking. Until recently everybody parked on the pavement and you could drive up the road.

The council decided to stop this practice and notified everyone that parking on the pavement is now no longer allowed.

The result is that now everybody parks on the road, but you cannot drive on it because its to narrow, and instead you have to drive 2 wheels on the road and 2 wheels on the pavement on the opposite side to the parked cars, right past peoples front gates, especially in the A8 and the neighbours transit van. it made a difficult situation for pedestrians on one side worse, by making it extremely dangerous for residents on the other who now have to remember to look both ways when leaving their garden because a car maybe coming along the pavement.

My mum has a large driveway so its not a problem for us, but several parking tickets have been issued since this rule came in.

Saying the above, that space looks tight and I would have most likely attempted even without park assist. Park assist will attempt to park with the outside of the car level with whatever is there, so if those cars are on the kerb then so will yours be.

Already knew you 'can't' park on pavement, so these were not a surprise.

Last saturday a rare breed called a parking warden appeared at the end of the road & booked the 2 people who were parking on the double yellows that are supposed to keep the corner clear, this is the 1st time I have ever seen anyone booked for doing this in all the years that these lines have been there. We were expecting him to look down the road & suddenly jump for glee a the thought of doubling his quota for the month, but he just did the cars & went.

Manny- If the council did enforce this then there would be parking down 1 side & plenty of room to pass, parking in parallel with kerb would drastically reduce number of parking spaces , however an american style of drive in angled supermarket parking would increase the number of spaces, but not enough for the street, so you would also have to have a 1 car permit per house hold along with a way of deciding who gets a permit. It would also mean that there would need to be more resource to ticket those who park in spaces without a permit. 

Also you as i have seen in Costco you would always have the idiot few who can se tha you are supposed to drive in, but would reverse in.

I have just left a company who, soon after my leaving, introduced a new parking policy in the Private car park adjacent the buildings. All employees were to reverse into the parking slots because it was found that many car park related accidents, in the USA might I add, were the result of people hurrying away home in the evening...reversing OUT of the slots. The funniest thing being that the american guy who instigated this policy visited the UK office soon after and how did he park...yes, forwards into the slot.

• Like 1

I will now add my comment. I do not like parking on the pavement,but there is no other option. we have up until this car parked fully on the road. several wing mirrors later this car is on the kerb. Also Dover seems to be inhabited with idiots who actually choose to walk down the middle of the road........even when there are no cars parked.

The council could reduce the pavement width by removing the extra wide kerb on each side and replace with a modern kerbstone. The pavement is still wide enough and the road then becomes wider. Mind you they will not do it as they are still trying to fill all the huge potholes that litter the county.

Parking is so bad that when I get in from work I struggle to park. Usually due to the number of transit vans whose drivers seem to finish work at 4pm. If all the works vans were left at work then the problem would reduce. It is a street of terraced houses. Many own a car then bring the works van home also Grrr it really annoys. And before anyone comments that we have two cars , one is in the garage that we rent further up the road.

And....he nearly drove past that space, but I said the park assist will put the car in there

Sometimes Graham, it's inevitable.

On a similar note, and this is concerning the grass verges, they were put in place to 'future proof' our roads, so they could be 'taken away' and the road widened.

IMHO, if you can get a double buggy through a gap with a vehicle parked on part of the pavement then that is ok, although I'm not endorsing pavement parking in  any shape or form.

I used the self park for the first time today.( We've had the L&K over 3 months now.)

There was 1 space in a road next to our Hospital that looked a bit too short.

I pressed the button and the computer was happy. It did a 3 point turn to get in,parking 2" from the kerb .

I estimated the space after we parked to be 2 feet at the rear and 18" in front.

I'm well impressed. :yes:

if you can get a double buggy through a gap with a vehicle parked on part of the pavement then that is ok, although I'm not endorsing pavement parking in  any shape or form.

I would agree with that - Often not the case though...

Cheers

Rog

I agree, BUT, what about when you have a pavement that is 2 meters wide, in a residential street, where you HAVE to park maybe 6 inches on the pavement because by not doing so, you are not allowing the emergency services adequate room to access if needs be??

Do you choose to a) park half a mile down the road each time, b ) park on the road and block any Fire Engines or Ambulances or c) park a little on the pavement still leaving enough room for 2 double buggies to pass??

I ould rather vehicles park, or partly park on pavements than them parking on a street on a narrow road and restrict access for emergency vehicles.  :yes:

• Like 1

I vaguely remember a conversation with someone who works for the emergency services, mentioning that if they come to a narrow road where cars obstruct passageway & it is actaully an emergency then they can literally crash barge there way through & sort out damage later.

I suppose if the house is on fire or someone is having a real medical emergency then i personally would view this in the same light as when people do not make room for blue lights, in that i hope the driver 'obstructing' the emergency services one day needs them & there is another inconsdierate / selfish barstewerd doing the same to them.

I vaguely remember a conversation with someone who works for the emergency services, mentioning that if they come to a narrow road where cars obstruct passageway & it is actaully an emergency then they can literally crash barge there way through & sort out damage later.

Codswallop.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2