Water ingress in to brand new Skoda Superb

I have an 8 day old Superb (hatch). This morning (first day of rain) I notice water trickling down the carpets from underneath the glove box along the left side (on carpets and between carpets and edge of trim near to the bonnet release handle). It continues even when it's not raining suggesting that a reservoir has built up somewhere. This is appalling! Has anyone heard of this problem before? My local dealer was totally disinterested when I wanted it seen to straight away. I now have Skoda Assistance on their way though I imagine they will point me back to the Skoda dealer. I'm imagining that this may be a simple problem given it's brand new!????

I have an 8 day old Superb (hatch). This morning (first day of rain) I notice water trickling down the carpets from underneath the glove box along the left side (on carpets and between carpets and edge of trim near to the bonnet release handle). It continues even when it's not raining suggesting that a reservoir has built up somewhere. This is appalling! Has anyone heard of this problem before? My local dealer was totally disinterested when I wanted it seen to straight away. I now have Skoda Assistance on their way though I imagine they will point me back to the Skoda dealer. I'm imagining that this may be a simple problem given it's brand new!????

Blimey - don't tell me this is STILL an issue with the MKII?

We had the same thing happen the other day, I did a really tight U-turn, at slightly above normal speed, and the wife's left foot got wet, not had a chance to have a look yet,

But my car is an 11plate, but new to me last week

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take it straight back to the dealer and show them. I would expect them to take it in and get you a courtesy car straight away. It might be a trivial fault, but there's still a lot of work to dry out the wet interior.

This happened to me and it was an incorrectly fitted windscreen which was fixed, but it took several weeks to diagnose. There are other possible faults.

• Like 1

Why was the windscreen replaced ?

Was there an issue with it that caused the leak ?

AFAIK screens can be removed and refitted with fresh sealant, certainly seen it done in the Volvo workshop where I work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm. Thank you everyone for your replies. It sounds like this isn't a one in a million experience? The dealer point blank refused to help and fobbed me to a call centre that isn't even open on a Saturday and to Skoda Assist - as if the AA are going to sort such a thing. That's Bristol Blade Skoda. I work away in midweek and am now an hour away from a dealer rather than just 3 miles away. I have left several messages with customer care demanding a reply and suggesting they pick up my car, replace it with an equivalent, get the problem fixed and then return. if this fails I shall be driving it in to Bristol at 08.30 Saturday and not leaving until they have sorted it or given me a temporary replacement. Incidentally the AA man also speculated windscreen. As Briskodian says the cause could be something else, but it's really not on, whatever the cause.

Thanks everyone for the clues in the meantime

Give Skoda UK a ring and tell them you'll be rejecting the car as if this is how you are treated so soon into ownership of such an issue, you don't want to find out what its going to be like if you have a more serious problem.

• Like 1

Give Skoda UK a ring and tell them you'll be rejecting the car as if this is how you are treated so soon into ownership of such an issue, you don't want to find out what its going to be like if you have a more serious problem.

Thank you Cemesis. This is very much the gist of what I'm now thinking if ever I get to speak to anyone. Bristol dealer stonewalled and put down the phone (expecting me to ring the AA for goodness sake!). CEO Alasdair Stewart or Customer Service have not yet returned my emails. Looks like I'll be taking valuable time in work tomorrow to speak to the dreaded call centre and be passed up however many levels of management before I get sense. But I agree with the sentiment that they can have the car back if they are not going to buck up.

Be careful with the reject route,

You have to give them the chance to rectify it, simply giving it back will result in the loss of the car and a court ruling for Skoda,

I think you'll find it's the screen but if you can lift the panel under the wipers you may find it's full of leaves and blocking the drain holes, might be worth a check but take some pictures as you go as later proof.

• Like 1

Get hold of John Gold at Skoda UK found him helpful in the past, Shocking treatment from your dealer, is this a new policy that now that Skoda assist is with the AA they will rectify warranty claims.

• Like 2

FYI..... as soon as mine was diagnosed and left at the dealer they made sure it was parked indoors at night and covered with a tarpaulin during the day. Quite a few wires etc behind the glove box which won't respond well to water. Additionally unless you want eau de wet dog in the coming months it's worth the effort to keep the carpets and bulkhead soundproofing stuff dry.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Get in contact with the dealer principal, or the dealer principal's assistant. Unfortunately service and sales staff sometimes have an off day, or are sometimes just not very helpful. So if you go to the person with their reputation and future p&l on the line, you will probably find things get sorted a bit more quickly and with a smile (or at least a grimace).

our 2010 elegance combi is also suffering from water ingress problems.

bought it in feb, its now on its 5th trip to the dealer to sort water ingress or problems assciated with it (dirty interior from mechanics and diagnosing heated seats problem and replacing ecu)

theve had it since last thursday and know there's a problem (they've seen it), but now cant even replicate it

not happy!!

• Like 1

Took several attempts to replicate my windscreen leak too. Garage tried hose, power washer with limited success. Eventually seemed to be while parked nose first on my slightly uphill drive in very heavy long rain that it triggered the leak

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Update. Co-ordinating chap from exec office (Dan Wilson) arranged for garage in Letchworth to pick up car yesterday, leaving me with an Octavia presently. But the likely scenario turned out in the afternoon where they wanted to give me my car back having "found no fault" after "extensive tests". I have refused to take the car back until they locate and fix the problem. They were most unhappy and have probably just left the car in a sulk. They were insistent I took the car back and "monitored" it, which I'm not prepared to do not least become a car (mine or theirs) is about to get 2 weeks in an airport car park. It's not going to be mine unless they demonstrate they have solved the issue. Could be a long time before I see it again!

Welcome Denis,

With out a doubt let Skoda UK know the difficulties you are having with what clearly is a joke of a dealership. If the problem deteriorates you want the best response you can get from a dealer.

VAG are very conscious of their image.

If you watch the robots building the Superb the screen if fitted by a robotic arm then finished off by humans, great to watch the car being built. May help to understand how if the sealant is maybe running out insufficient sealant may have created a fault.

Of course if could be something entirely different and this is where a good dealer is essential.

• Like 1

Get hold of John Gold at Skoda UK found him helpful in the past, Shocking treatment from your dealer, is this a new policy that now that Skoda assist is with the AA they will rectify warranty claims.

The person you need to contact at Skoda UK is John Good. He is the only person who will look into your complaint, which he will do and also will contact you to keep you informed of progress.

Update. Co-ordinating chap from exec office (Dan Wilson) arranged for garage in Letchworth to pick up car yesterday, leaving me with an Octavia presently. But the likely scenario turned out in the afternoon where they wanted to give me my car back having "found no fault" after "extensive tests". I have refused to take the car back until they locate and fix the problem. They were most unhappy and have probably just left the car in a sulk. They were insistent I took the car back and "monitored" it, which I'm not prepared to do not least become a car (mine or theirs) is about to get 2 weeks in an airport car park. It's not going to be mine unless they demonstrate they have solved the issue. Could be a long time before I see it again!

When I had my leak there was no doubt it had happened as the front carpet was saturated. Is that the case with yours? If so it's not reasonable for the dealer to deny there's a problem despite extensive tests and the interior will need to be stripped to dry it out.

That said, it's always sensible to be as helpful as you can and were there any particular conditions during the downpour. eg car facing uphill or downhill that you could mention?

• Like 1

faith in Dan Watkins who says he's from the exec office (delegated from Alasdair Stewart) so will continue with him at least on Monday. In fairness to Progress Letchworth they have had a pretty decent attitude (in huge contrast to Bristol Blades the previous week) and they do say they've checked the aircon system etc. I described in detail where the water was and the circumstances. I think their difficulty in locating the problem (I'm sure it is difficult) led them to hoping they could return the car to me and that's where we disagreed. My main aim on Monday is to ensure they're doing something extra different and I'll be suggesting they come on to this very site to get some tips and that they talk to Skoda / VAG as it seems inconceivable that there isn't some kind of knowledge database in a company as you say that makes cars with robots. I'm sure they can do things like tilt the car at various angles and so forth - I'll go out and recheck the angles/level of my drive. The irony is that if Bristol had looked at it right away they'd have seen the actual water and that must have been really useful. On the basis that I reported the problem within 30 mins this being only 7 days after taking delivery and I offered them to do this (insisted) then I have no qualms about taking up my current position which is "no fix, no return". There's a bit of "but that wasn't us" from Progress Letchworth, which I sympathise with but in the broader scheme to me they're all representing Skoda. Cheers - will keep you informed.

Ps. This is an excellent forum!