Water ingress in to brand new Skoda Superb

Took a couple of attempts by dealer to find my leak. Seemed to be more about direction of soaking rather than volume of water applied. Afraid I didn't ask how they managed it in the end though.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

After my experience with Skoda (its continually appauling every time I have an issue), I would have zero-tollerance in your situation and reject it.

Don't yeild and don't put up with driving around in a cheaper car than the one you paid for if they seem to just be sitting on their hands.

• Like 1

Den ask them this possibility,

Ask could the aircon condesation be pooling until a point where there's enough to cause this.

If they can't sort it I'd try running about with the AC off and note if it stays dry, then do the next test with full AC on and see if the wet comes back, a few safe rapid right and left handers might be called for to get it to chuck fluid in again.

After my experience with Skoda (its continually appauling every time I have an issue), I would have zero-tollerance in your situation and reject it.

Don't yeild and don't put up with driving around in a cheaper car than the one you paid for if they seem to just be sitting on their hands.

Sadly that's how I found them also, worse still when you switch "up" to a VW you get the snotty nose treatment as well.

I managed to get a slightly weepy EGR valve, a CV joint boot and a slightly floppy gear lever button changed under the Skoda Approved Used warranty by ALS Lock in Ely, who were always very helpful with anything warranty related.  All claims which I thought would be marginal on what was then a 5 year old MK1 Superb. 

I'm just in the process of having a new pair of wings, driver side door and boot lid sorted under the anti-corrosion warranty.  One wing had evidence of previous repair, and I have done the servicing mostly myself for the last 50,000 miles.  Robinson's Norwich Skoda (who had never seen the car prior to the paint claim) have been brilliant on that - I've had a courtesy car for 3 weeks.  This is on a car which is now 8 1/2 years old, all sorted with no fuss and no argument.

Neither of the dealerships above had sold the vehicle to me.  I guess what I'm saying is it really is down to the dealership and how much they want to help, and therein will lie most of your experience of Skoda ownership.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

An update on this. (I have been on holiday for 2 weeks during which time I had still left my car at Progress Letchworth while using their courtesy car). During my holiday they found the fault and I finally got my car back yesterday. To quote them:-

The rain was coming in via the scuttle panel but in the case of a downpour the water over flowed from

the normal drain run and filled up the horn which then flowed into the heater box and then into the car.

We have moved the position of the horn so water cannot flow into the horn or heater box.

This seems to be a design flaw and the modification we have carried out will stop this from happening.

We have supplied all the pictures etc. to Skoda Technical so they can issue a technical bulletin to all Skoda Dealers.

Apparently they only managed to reproduce this fault by hosing the car continuously for 2.5 hours. I think the water (or rain in the storm that we had when I first experienced the problem) had to basically bounce in to the horn, and presumably therefore only slowly collect there. This also explains why soon after it stopped raining I was still seeing new rivulets of water when turning. They kindly supplied me copies of the photos that have been sent in. I'm no car expert so on their own they don't mean a lot to me, but I'd be happy to share them with any driver who has any similar experience.

Big thanks to Mick Stone at Letcworth Progress and also big thanks to all those kind users on this forum who provided ideas and encouragement.

• Like 1

Hi Denis,

I would like to see the pictures also.  I went cold reading about the water ingress from the front of the car.

My previous Skoda was a 2007 Elegance Superb that had a well know issue with water getting into the cabin via the pollen filter housing as a result of the drain holes under the battery getting blocked with debris from the rain wash. 

The water soaked in to the passenger carpet and eroded some the electrical nodes, taking out a good deal of the electrics very expensive to repair. I did get Skoda UK to contribute to the cost which helped. More importantly, I thought they had learnt from that design fault and would have looked at other likely "weak spots" for water ingress; obviously not; although i have not seen any other mention of this problem. 

Not looking  forward to suffering this again so if you can supply further details of the repair,  perhaps we can Skoda to undertake a recall to have the problem resolved before it occurs.  :devil:

Denis there's a section on here for posting about dealers. They do read them, at least my local dealer does! Never had a problem with them so gave positive post. They appreciated this. Conversely I would hope they take account of negative posts.

thanks all. Will indeed post pictures in a moment. They're in a funny format that I can only open on my tab rather than computer so I'll have a play around. The dealer - Progress Skoda at Letchworth - did say that they think there might be a recall offer on this point.

For the avoidance of doubt

Progress Skoda, Letchworth - good guys

Blades Bristol - bad guys

Will place this on the relevant section

Kind regards

Interesting to read this.  After a weekend of heavy rain I just found my passenger foot well flooded.  Car (2013 MK2) parked facing up a slope.

Checked  the leak is coming from under the glove box, passenger door side if you see what I mean.

I have contacted Skoda and they will be looking at the car in a few weeks (still under warranty).  I will pass on the information above and see if that helps them.  

Is there anything else, that could have been damaged by the water, I should mention when I take it in?  

• 3 years later...

Same problem is on model year 2011 Superb combi. First place to find is freshairfilter box (Pollen filter) from which the sealant fails. Second place is windshield wiper:s bolt place on.  I suspect the factory has manufacturing fault and they have forgotten to put plug or somekind of tape when they change the manufactor lane right side to left side (Steering wheel). 

Here is two cars which does not have the tape or plug. And one model year 2012 which has. All of the cars are Combi.

EDIT: The water problem is on passenger side.

14479773.jpg

14479774.jpg

14479775.jpg

Edited by Karppa_

39 minutes ago, Karppa_ said:

Same problem is on model year 2011 Superb combi. First place to find is freshairfilter box (Pollen filter) from which the sealant fails. Second place is windshield wiper:s bolt place on.  I suspect the factory has manufacturing fault and they have forgotten to put plug or somekind of tape when they change the manufactor lane right side to left side (Steering wheel). 

Here is two cars which does not have the tape or plug. And one model year 2012 which has. All of the cars are Combi.

EDIT: The water problem is on passenger side.

14479773.jpg

14479774.jpg

14479775.jpg

Third Superb Combi early model 2012

14479806.jpg

Edited by Karppa_

• 2 years later...

.....errrrmmm, not quite. Damn.

Put it all back together and now no front wipers. Took plastic cover off again to check that I'd not left a loose connection but all looks ok.

Checked engine bay fuse number 40 (windscreen wipers), looks fine. Rear wiper works fine and presumably that also uses fuse number 40.

Lots of faults on the OBDeleven scan...looks like all but one (dodgy number plate light) are because the battery went flat after water got into the electrics, so lots of implausible signal/ lower voltage limit/ no signal or communication fault codes, listed a few below.

Gave connector block another spray with WD40 and left it overnight. Change in the weather today and it's bright and sunny and hey presto, my front wipers are operational again. Phew

00153 - Driver windshield wiper motor Lower limit not reached
            Intermittent
                Priority:  2
                Frequency counter: 14
                Driving cycle: 192
                Mileage: 138637 km
        00154 - Front passenger windshield wiper motor Lower limit not reached
            Intermittent
                Frequency counter: 14
        00446 - Function limitation due to insufficient voltage Lower limit not reached
            Intermittent
                Priority:  6
                Frequency counter: 10
        01520 - Rain/light recognition sensor Lower limit not reached
            Intermittent
                Frequency counter:  4
        00532 - Supply voltage Lower limit not reached
            Intermittent
                Priority:  4
                Frequency counter:  3

Wow, that is indeed a crappy design. If the scuttle tray drains become blocked and water overflows, it'll run directly into the horn and then straight into the heater intake, a direct patch into the cars interior.

Skoda couldn't have designed the horn mounting bracket any better to catch the water running off the scuttle tray mounts if they tried!

There's a solid plastic cover that is held in place with a torx screw in that empty hole, I just took pic prior to fitting it...the black lump next to it was another empty hole that I filled in with black Sugru...

...see the dirty version in this pic!

filthy.jpg