Rust Proofing advice

Does anyone have enough detailed drawings of the Mk1 Fabia to work out which blanking plugs to pull out to re-apply the rust proofing to the critical areas under the car ?

I had a feel round in some of the chassis rails that just have open holes and these definately need re-injecting as they are bone dry.

• 5 weeks later...

Here is what I found so far on my 2000 car.

Apart from all the normal things you would expect on exposed edges around wheel arches and on the cills. The rear axle hangers and the bottom of the rear axle seem to take a lot of damage.

Here are some potential trouble spots :-

1 Under the rear wheel arches (behind the liners) where the rear axle hangers come together the underseal is failing here and if corrosion sets in this will be hard to repair.

post-12127-0-32982100-1408481563_thumb.jpg

2.Under the exhaust heatshield where the centre section joins the floors, the underseal is peeling back here and will need attention.

post-12127-0-69483900-1408481818_thumb.jpg

3. The floor strengthener in the above picture will also deteriorate, this was beyond saving.

Available from the dealer as 6Q08044121B £11.15. 8 nuts N01508315 £0.28 ea.

The exhaust heat shield is expensive so will need repairing.

4. Console stretcher brackets look sad can be cleaned up and repainted.

Available from dealer 6Q0199517A 6Q0199518A £5.50 ea.

post-12127-0-73872100-1408482884_thumb.jpg

More to come as I find it.

• Like 1

Have a look at rustbuster.co.uk my friends using dinitrol and expoxy mastic to rust proof his car. Avoid waxoyl or similar products as they don't last very long and need constant reapplications. Expoxy mastic makes an airtight seal and has a rubberised cured texture. That's what I'll be using. Use zinc primer before applying it.