Extended warranty - worth having or a waste of money

Bluemoonin65

Getting ready to order my Yeti and I'm wondering if existing owners were back in the showroom about to order their Yeti, would you bother with the warranty or not?

I'm looking to keep it for 3-5 years and I'm unlikely to do more than 8k-10k miles per year. Given the die-hard reputation the 1.6 TDi has and it's relative light use would I be better keeping the money in my pocket?   

Best to search for this topic. There have been many discussions on it.

I considered the pre registration Skoda +2 additional years worth having after reading through the answers. My conclusion was based on the possibility of something major happening plus re-sale value if I did not want to part ex at 3 years. If I had the choice of buying a vehicle that had 2 years SKODA warranty against one that did not, I know which I would go for.

Edited by DonjSZ5

From the warranty book,

The warranty commences on the date of delivery to

the first owner and is transferable to the second and

subsequent owners. To obtain the full benefit of this

warranty it is essential that the vehicle is properly serviced

in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

If buying the 1.2 or 1.8, or one with the 7-sp dry-clutch DSG - knowing what I do now, I would buy the extended warranty.

The 2.0 diesels & 6-sp wet-cluch DSG models however seem to be pretty bullet proof and for those I would not be so concerned with the extended warranty unless I could get it cheap.

That's just my personal view.

I'm not sure about the 1.6D - haven't heard of that engine in the Yeti before...

DonjSZ5 - Thanks for the tip, as it is I had already searched and read about half a dozen threads on the forum but most seemed to address the issue of price/availability, when they could be purchased or how to claim. My query was different, I wanted to know if people who had purchased it still saw it as a good choice 2-3 years down the line and if those who had decided not to buy wish they had done so. I felt that in the threads I have read the question I asked hadn't already been addressed - hence why I asked. If you know of any threads I haven't found that addresses my question I'd be happy to be pointed in the right direction.  :angel:

137699 - Thanks for your reply. It's the only engine available in the Greenline version that I'm looking at in order to try and keep costs as low as possible for the next 3-5 years. It's quite widely used across VAG being used in Golfs, Jettas & A1s in its time, and there are very few complaints about it. If I had been going for the DSG then the decision would be a no-brainer, but being a Mancunian and fond of saving a few quid where I can I'm still undecided. 

Maybe you should have said you had searched. You will only read bad reviews from those that have not opted for it. They are the optimists and maybe rightly so. I have read a few reviews where an engine or gearbox has failed, not so much the 1.6, just outside the 3 years and Skoda will only pay for parts and a % of labour. The costs could still excess the additional 2 years (£630). There is nothing to say any mechanical item with XXXX many moving parts might decide one day to give up. If you base your decission on how many engines are manufactured and how many fail you would probably not go for it...but you just might be one of the unlucky ones.

I agree with Graham but I try to change my cars as the warantee is about to expire!  :smirk: 

It depends on how long you intend to keep the car (and if you are likely to stick to that decision and not be seduced by any new offerings). I think that if you intend to keep the car for 3-5 years then the extended warantee is a good idea and a reasonal price at time of purchase.

Fred

If I were buying a new Skoda I would definitely pay to extend the warranty to 5 years because the cover is better than you would get buying an aftermarket warranty. But like all insurance, it will only be value for money if you make a claim which is more than the premium you paid. I paid £600 for 2 years of aftermarket cover provided by the Skoda Approved Used Car Warranty and Assistance - which isn't as comprehensive as the one you are asking about. My Octavia II 4X4 suffered final drive failure 3 weeks ago, which was fully covered by the Skoda Approved Warranty, but would have cost me circa £4000 if I had had to pay for a new final drive unit. I still have over £16,000 of cover left for repairs under that warranty. :)

if you want the peace of mind of extended warranty then the skoda extension when ordering is the way to go

the skoda one when ordering is backed by skoda UK AND your skoda assist is extended as well

any warranty you buy after delivery is just insurance back by which ever third party the dealer chooses to resell

Edited by bluecar1

My understanding is that extended Skoda Assist is not part of their extended warranty purchased prior to the registration of new cars. I would be very glad to be proved wrong if somebody can point me in the right direction as it will save me a few bob!

I bought the extended warranty when I bought my Yeti as I'll probably keep it for five years (to minimise the damage of depreciation) and £25/month (£600 for 24 months) buys me a lot of peace of mind. Fifteen months in and the car has been absolutely problem free - not even a creak or rattle - but I still don't regret my decision. (But then I also opted for a spare wheel so I'm obviously not one of the optimists!!)

I specifically asked if assist continued into the extended warranty before adding it to my order. It's supposed to be the same as the standard 3 year, just with 80K and 100K mileage limits for years 4 and 5.

Roadside Assistance and Warranty are separate forms of cover. The former consists of a three year, European-wide, unlimited mileage Skoda Assistance policy which comes free of charge with every new SKODA. The latter automatically provides new Skodas bought through the authorised retailer network with a three year, 60,000 mile manufacturers warranty. That warranty has no mileage limit for the first two years and thereafter provides covers up to three years or 60,000 miles, whichever is the sooner. It can be optionally extended to a total of 4 years or 80,000 miles, or a total of 5 years or 100,000 miles. There is no mention in the Yeti nor Octavia II and Superb II brochures that Roadside Assistance can similarly be extended. I think this is a case of checking the paperwork which came with the car to see what is in writing where extended Roadside Assistance is concerned.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies - it's giving me some much needed food for thought. My order goes in on 2nd August so I have until then to make a final decision.

I was hoping to avoid the whole "is this warranty the same as that warranty" debate - I have spoken to Skoda and CCP and definitively the covers are different. The one that you HAVE to include when you place your car order (currently costing £630 to extend your warranty to a total of 5 years) includes Skoda Assist and is dealt with internally by Skoda UK. Any extended warranty ordered after you have placed your car order is dealt with by CCP (currently costing £349 pa without Skoda Assist or £399 with - only available to purchase one year at a time).

Even though it's an "approved Skoda warranty" your warranty is entirely with CCP. It seems that a lot of dealers are unaware of this, but both Skoda UK Customer Care and CCP have both confirmed that this is the case. 

Thanks for all the replies - it's giving me some much needed food for thought. My order goes in on 2nd August so I have until then to make a final decision.

I was hoping to avoid the whole "is this warranty the same as that warranty" debate - I have spoken to Skoda and CCP and definitively the covers are different. The one that you HAVE to include when you place your car order (currently costing £630 to extend your warranty to a total of 5 years) includes Skoda Assist and is dealt with internally by Skoda UK. Any extended warranty ordered after you have placed your car order is dealt with by CCP (currently costing £349 pa without Skoda Assist or £399 with - only available to purchase one year at a time).

Even though it's an "approved Skoda warranty" your warranty is entirely with CCP. It seems that a lot of dealers are unaware of this, but both Skoda UK Customer Care and CCP have both confirmed that this is the case. 

I've been resisting replying to this.  I've been like a broken record in the threads which you will have studied and wasn't going to say the same old thing again....but you seem to made no mention at all of the CSMA option which offers CCP cover for £148.50 PA. Details of which you must have made yourself familiar with given that you seem to have thoroughly and diligently researched the affair.

It happens that I have taken up cover with the CSMA (at the cost of £144 but it's gone up a couple of pounds) and thus have no need to look at the alternatives now and indeed remain confident that I've made a sensible choice given that I primarily wanted to cover the major components - specifically the DSG box, but, also, naturally enough, the engine itself. It transpires that membership also confers the advantage of Legal Cover on my car insurance policies thus, effectively, rebating the annual membership fee.... with money left over in fact.

However, if I were to buy another new Skoda...and I might well....I would opt for the extra two years at purchase...and would probably regard it as part of the haggling process and would seek to have it included in the purchase price - clearly the final discounted price I pay would take it into account.... but if I knew I was keeping the car for five years I wouldn't want a DSG box not covered by warranty and would regard the cost to cover it as part of the price paid for the benefit of driving such (what I personally regard) as such a pleasant gearbox.

I have spoken to Skoda and CCP and definitively the covers are different. The one that you HAVE to include when you place your car order (currently costing £630 to extend your warranty to a total of 5 years) includes Skoda Assist and is dealt with internally by Skoda UK. 

This is very confusing !  I've just spoken to Skoda too, and they assured me that the 5 year warranty which you can purchase along with a new vehicle definitely does not include Skoda Assist.

I'm not too bothered about that as I didn't think it was included, and I already have alternative breakdown cover via my bank account, but it's the fact that other people who call them are given different answers that annoys me. The only paperwork I have refers to the warranty as a "genuine SKODA factory warranty" so I wonder if there are 2 versions of this - mine being Skoda, and another being Skoda UK ?.

Although the CSMA cover and the Skoda Approved Extended Warranty are both Car Care Plan products, the cover is not the same. For the CSMA Warranty 5 cover, claims can be made up to the vehicle value in the aggregate. (The Warranty 10 limit is £2000 per claim, up to the vehicle value in the aggregate). In the case of the Skoda Approved Warranty, the total amount payable on each warranty claim is limited to the purchase price of the vehicle including VAT for each claim, up to the aggregate purchase price of the vehicle. There are lots of other differences in the cover provided but whether or not they are significant is for the buyer to weigh up. Regardless, the CSMA warranty looks to be excellent value for money.

Well I have just raked through the extended warranty  bumf I got when I bought my Yeti and have found a Skoda Roadside Assistance booklet that says the duration of this cover, provided by the RAC, will remain in force for 12/24 mths dependent on the length of cover you have chosen to purchase.

Well I have just raked through the extended warranty  bumf I got when I bought my Yeti and have found a Skoda Roadside Assistance booklet that says the duration of this cover, provided by the RAC, will remain in force for 12/24 mths dependent on the length of cover you have chosen to purchase.

Am I remembering correctly that we both got our L&K's around the same time ?  (mine was registered mid May '13).  If so, I don't think I have what you are describing (I only seem to have the 'thank you' letter from Skoda) - if I pm you my email address could you send me a scan of the bit you described above, and the front cover ?

Am I remembering correctly that we both got our L&K's around the same time ?  (mine was registered mid May '13).  If so, I don't think I have what you are describing (I only seem to have the 'thank you' letter from Skoda) - if I pm you my email address could you send me a scan of the bit you described above, and the front cover ?

Aye I got my L&K early June 13. Feel free to PM me and will see what I can do, also just noticed the phone number in this booklet is totally different from the Skoda Assist number on the sticker supplied with car. Confusing or what.

Although the CSMA cover and the Skoda Approved Extended Warranty are both Car Care Plan products, the cover is not the same. For the CSMA Warranty 5 cover, claims can be made up to the vehicle value in the aggregate. (The Warranty 10 limit is £2000 per claim, up to the vehicle value in the aggregate). In the case of the Skoda Approved Warranty, the total amount payable on each warranty claim is limited to the purchase price of the vehicle including VAT for each claim, up to the aggregate purchase price of the vehicle. There are lots of other differences in the cover provided but whether or not they are significant is for the buyer to weigh up. Regardless, the CSMA warranty looks to be excellent value for money.

You're spot on, DGW...they're not the same, but having put the two policy documents side by side the differences were sufficiently inconsequential as to make no difference - to me at least.

I did phone CCP and the reception I received was encouraging enough at the time for me to have enough confidence to trust them to do what I hope they would do in the event of an occurrence....but the proof of the pudding etc.

It was - and remains - my firm understanding that the extended warranty taken out at the time of purchase does include the RAC cover.  I'm equally certain that after market cover from CCP/Skoda can include RAC breakdown *IF* you choose to pay for it.  Several different Skoda dealers quoted different prices for the warranty, both with and without RAC cover,  All of this was covered in minute detail in the several threads some time ago.  It did seem, when I enquired, that not everyone offered two years as part of a package - some restricting cover to just one year at a time, others offering two years as a package.  What was certain is that confusion was abounding at the time ....and continues to abound.

And I continue to harp on about other manufacturers giving 5 years and 7 years and lifetime warranties whilst VAG still stick with a meagre three. 

Such is life.