Questions before buying

KBPhoto

I've been looking for a Yeti for a while and occasionally see one close to my ideal spec which I won't bore you with...

One has just come up but lacks the 'Off-road' button. I've searched and know what it does, but is it possible to retro fit this?

I guess it may be a new ABS controller on top of the button and wiring, but is it possible?

It's also a 1.8 Tsi with 65,000 on the clock as opposed to a CR170 (my ideal). Am I mad to consider it considering I do 15,000 per year on mostly 20+ miles journeys and have always owned diesel vehicles?

It's an SE spec but has bi-xenon headlights. I'm happy to have fabric seats and do want bi-xenon, but what else would I be missing over the Elegence spec?

Any advice before I make the 150 odd round trip to have a look greatfully appreciated.

Unless you are planing going really "off road" then the off road button is a nice to have but not a necessity. With the 1.8 Tsi expect low 30's consumption wise, you might be better with the diesel. There are plenty pre owned Yetis about should be easy to find one with the spec you want. Your choice of bi xenons is a good one, the xenons are much better than the halogens and the light bend feature is wonderful function. Not sure what SE spec misses out compared to Elegance, but the Elegance is a nice spec but I wanted more toys and changed mine for an L&K. Hope your search is fruitful.

I might be prejudiced but I test drove a Roomster 1.9 diesel after a lifetime of petrol engined cars and I was instantly converted!

I'm now on my second Yeti an SE 140ps 4x4 DSG and I'm very pleased with it. The fuel consumption is very good and performance exceeds my requirements.

So unless technology provides any alternatives in the near future I'm all for diesels. 

There are many more used Yetis around now than when I was looking so you should be able to find your "ideal" fairly easily.

Fred

I'm quite happy with a diesel again; that would be my preference.

However, I've only seen a small handful in the past 10 months that come close to my ideal spec (and price).

It might be worth me listing it... Remember this is 'ideal' and I know I'm going to have to make some compromises at some point.

4x4 CR170 (may consider CR140 or 1.8 Tsi);

Sunroof & bi-Xenons;

Cloth seats;

Front & rear parking sensors (not bothered about park assist);

TPMS;

Columbus or Amundsen sat nav;

Detachable towbar & 13 pin electrics;

The last four I could retro-fit myself, so not essential to have these on the vehicle at purchase.

Would consider up to 70,000 miles and 2010 or later and up to a maximum of £15,000.

I've read about the off-road button and what it does and feel that it would be beneficial for me to have it if possible, hence my question about retro-fitting it.

Logic says go for the Elegence, but I prefer the fabric seats to leather ones (do the fabric ones have heated seats?) and want to know what else I'd miss out in if I did settle on a lesser spec with bi-Xenons.

Why do you think you need the Off-Road button?
What sort of off-road work are you envisaging doing?

And no it cannot be retro-fitted. i asked when I got mine from a reputable sensible dealer.

Fabric seats aren't heated.

• Like 1

MV61CNF_MV61CNF_1.jpg?resize=240x180&bes  

Registration Year 2011 Mileage 19,165 Fuel Type Diesel iconInfoToolTip.pngEfficiency (MPG) - Engine Size 1968cc Previous Owners - Tax band G CO2 Emissions (g/km) 155 Interior Trim Cloth Exterior Colour Grey

Do you mean something like this?

Edited by Carlo diesel

Why do you think you need the Off-Road button?

What sort of off-road work are you envisaging doing?

And no it cannot be retro-fitted. i asked when I got mine from a reputable sensible dealer.

Fabric seats aren't heated.

Thanks for the info.

I'm finding that I'm being sent to all sorts of places now with one of my 'employments' (freelance outdoor pursuits coach) and need to carry kayaks/canoes or tow small/medium trailers or carry bike racks with 4 bikes on.

Many of these places are down poorly maintained tracks in the middle of no where. Having the extra help of the off-road facilities would be helpful (not essential) especially as I still operate throughout winter come rain or snow.

Carlo diesel: Thanks for looking on my behalf: that one doesn't have a sunroof (which I'll not compromise over) and is also out of my budget as I'm happy to have a higher mileage one.

So you aren't being "adventurous" then.

I don't have the off-road button and have never seen the need of it, but then I've been driving off-road for years and have plenty of training. From what you describe the lack of it certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker.

If it does have the underbody protection pack that may be useful but again something I've never worried about.

Depends how you define 'adventurous' I guess. But I have precious little experience off road, except with a proper Land Rover at one place I work which I have driven on easy off-road routes.

Underbody protection would be higher on my list than the off-road button!

Was that an optional extra? Or was it standard with the button?

So you aren't being "adventurous" then.

I don't have the off-road button and have never seen the need of it, but then I've been driving off-road for years and have plenty of training. From what you describe the lack of it certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker.

If it does have the underbody protection pack that may be useful but again something I've never worried about.

Graham, what does the off road function do that a driver can't ?

Depends how you define 'adventurous' I guess. But I have precious little experience off road, except with a proper Land Rover at one place I work which I have driven on easy off-road routes.

Underbody protection would be higher on my list than the off-road button!

Was that an optional extra? Or was it standard with the button?

The "Rough Road Package" can be ordered on any Yeti, 2 or 4 wheel drive, and would probably be the most useful thing for you. You could probably order the parts for retro-fitting but it wouldn't be cheap.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/models/HotspotDetail?HotspotName=Yeti%20Outdoor%20-%20Rough%20road%20package&WebID=7ec91064-ebba-4a7e-bae9-4c864868b2af&Page=technology

It sounds like you are going to be driving similar tracks to what several of us already do, as rally radio operators, and the Off Road Button may help you a little, however getting proper training would be a far better investment.

http://www.skoda.am/models/HotspotDetail?HotspotName=I4%20-%20Off-road%20button&WebID=c3271b2e-08c3-41f1-a3d4-81a0b009b7c1&Page=interior

Graham, what does the off road function do that a driver can't ?

Nothing if you know what you are doing. What it does do is allow the untrained to get to places with less problems by allowing the computer to do it for you. However from my experience it can also lead owners into a sense of false security so that can go beyond their and their vehicles capabilities, leading to possible damaging or dangerous situations. It is for that reason that I will always encourage owners who are likely to be using their vehicle's full capabilities to get proper training.

Personally the only thing I would use is the Hill Descent system, but I do not like the Yeti's ability to use that in neutral, which I consider decidedly dangerous. The old Freelander system of it only working in 1st or reverse was excellent. 

• Like 1

What do people think of the 1.8 Tsi over the CR170 (or 140)?

I've seen a 1.8 Tsi without off-road and a couple of CR140's with.

One of them is this one (http://www.buxtoncarcentre.co.uk/used-cars/skoda-yeti-2-0-tdi-cr-140-elegance-4x4-5dr-buxton-201406305421310), but what are those running boards all about? Are they supplied by Skoda from the factory or aftermarket? Are they removeable without issue? Do they lower the ground clearance at all?

Your thoughts please, guys?

And why can't dealers advertise cars properly? This is listed as 'rear parking sensors' when it has front as well as park assist. Some dealers even forget to mention the sunroof! And Skoda used website doesn't filter this as an option.

Would it be fairly obvious if the rough road package was fitted? I believe from having read a bit on here, that originally the engine undertray was metal but Skoda changed it to plastic fairly early on (or was that just the Octavia Scout)?

The running boards are a dealer fit accessory I believe.  Have a look here - some mixed reviews.  If they are the Skoda ones, they do reduce ground clearance for little ultimate benefit.

What do you have against leather seats?  If the car is going to be used for outdoor activities they have the possible benefit of being wipe-clean, which cloth seats are not.  Of course you can fit covers over cloth seats - but you can do that to the 'leather' seats as well (which aren't leather in the sense that Jaguar or Range Rover leather upholstery is - it's a synthetic fabric matrix with a thin leather skin on top).  I had doubts about the leather seats when I got my Elegance but I've found that they cope absolutely fine with the inevitable detritus from my hillwalking, climbing and off-road cycling.

I can think of better arguments against a sunroof if you're going to be carrying bikes, kayaks etc on top of the car than I can against leather seats.

• Like 1

That one with the side steps looks quite nice, don't like the steps though and believe they can be removed. As to rough road package probably the easiest way to spot is the plastic protectors on the rear suspension arms.

4865927356_1d901b6a0d_b.jpg

• Like 1

Nothing if you know what you are doing. What it does do is allow the untrained to get to places with less problems by allowing the computer to do it for you. However from my experience it can also lead owners into a sense of false security so that can go beyond their and their vehicles capabilities, leading to possible damaging or dangerous situations. It is for that reason that I will always encourage owners who are likely to be using their vehicle's full capabilities to get proper training.

Personally the only thing I would use is the Hill Descent system, but I do not like the Yeti's ability to use that in neutral, which I consider decidedly dangerous. The old Freelander system of it only working in 1st or reverse was excellent.

Neutral!

Wow!

No thanks!

As to rough road package probably the easiest way to spot is the plastic protectors on the rear suspension arms.

4865927356_1d901b6a0d_b.jpg

Is there a code for the 'Rough Road Pack' that should be on the white sticker in the boot?

If so, what is it?

This is going to be higher on my list now (I'd previously forgotten about it).

Sidesteps:
As has been said a dealer/diy fit and something I consider to be pointless bling. If you have a proper, raised suspension off roader where they need to be stood on to get in, fine, but on a standard height vehicle? Plus they reduce the ground clearance slightly.

Sump guard:

Do not worry about the sump guard being plastic in the RRP. World Rally Championship competitors use plastic sump guards and they take a lot more punishment than we are ever likely to cause! I've found even the standard one to be quite resilient.

Ryeman;

Quite!! 

• Like 1

I have a question for the OP .

Are you going to do some proper / serious off road work or is this just an item you want for the odd dirt track / farm etc ?

The running boards are a dealer fit accessory I believe. Have a look here - some mixed reviews. If they are the Skoda ones, they do reduce ground clearance for little ultimate benefit.

Thanks for the link. They won't be making them onto my wish list. But how are they fixed on? And can they be removed without leaving any holes, etc.?

What do you have against leather seats? If the car is going to be used for outdoor activities they have the possible benefit of being wipe-clean, which cloth seats are not... I had doubts about the leather seats when I got my Elegance but I've found that they cope absolutely fine with the inevitable detritus from my hillwalking, climbing and off-road cycling.

I hear what you are saying about wipe clean & seat covers (which will be purchased regardless of seat material.

I have nothing against the 'leather' seats given that the general consensus seems to be that they are not leather.

I wanted to not like the Gobi / sand interior, but having seen it, I do. After all, it's pretty much the same colour as dried mud! And it compliments the Muscovado exterior quite well.

I can think of better arguments against a sunroof if you're going to be carrying bikes, kayaks etc on top of the car than I can against leather seats.

Bikes will be on a towbar mounted rack or on top of a small Erde 122 type trailer. Kayaks & canoes will be on a trailer. I'm not planning on putting anything on the roof.

One of the things that has swung me away from a Scout is the sunroof on the Yeti. As well as the 170 diesel option, higher ground clearance and shorter rear overhang.

Are you going to do some proper / serious off road work or is this just an item you want for the odd dirt track / farm etc ?

See post #7

• Like 1

Inbetween the two! If it was for 'serious' off-roading, then I'd be looking at a Freelander or something more serious.

Much of it will be rough farm tracks, but I suspect that I will be asked to go to more remote parts once they spot the '4x4'. Some places require negotiating quite steep hills.

I also end up on roads / tracks up in the mountains in all weathers. Including snow & ice.

Having the extras, as Graham said, make it easier on a novice off-road driver. If/when I get more experience/training, then I might not need to actually use the button.

Even on the type of terrain you envisage using, and especially if towing a trailer, then I would suggest that you need to get training BEFORE you venture off-road. Even with my experience I would only tow a trailer of any kind on hard tracks and for very short distances on anything else. I have sat in on part of an off-road trailer course and the dynamics even with a small unbraked camping trailer are totally different and quite surprising. With a braked trailer it can very easily go very wrong very quickly!

There is an excellent training company based near Chepstow which I think a member here has been out with. I think it was here:

http://www.whitecliff4x4.co.uk/index.html

Found this one, but they look a bit "extreme" and I have concerns after looking at some of the photos!  http://www.4x4drivingschool.com/

You could of course join Hereford 4x4 Response (http://www.herefordshire4x4response.org.uk/) They are a very friendly bunch who arrange various training events.

How close are you to Malvern, as we will be near there this weekend?

Thank you for the information Graham. Always helpful.

I am close to Malvern, but am going to be away this weekend unfortunately.

I will look at the links you added to see if I can get some training.

Personally I wouldn't describe anything I plan on doing as being 'extreme', just way above what your average Octavia estate can cope with... I'm also unlikely to be towing a trailer far away from flat muddy fields or semi-decent farm and forest tracks. Anything more than that will (I hope) be limited to just getting me and a bootful of equipment or maybe a bike rack into the right location.

Having never seen it, I can't comment. But it does sound nicer.

If it's two tone like the Octavia Vrs Mk2, then I'm not interested as I don't like it.

The big issue is that although it may have been an option, there don't seem to be any on the used market in the past 8-10 months. In any trim level.