Questions before buying

KBPhoto

I believe that the Alcantara option only came in with the facelift version approximately December 2013. It was not available on my pre-FL elegance and I didn't want black leather so I went for the Gobi interior.

The Alcantara option in the Yeti is basically the same as the non-VRS Octavias (i.e. black Alcantara inserts in black leather seats, etc.) and not two tone.

So good news and bad!

It's going to have to be a pre-FL due to my budget. So it's Gobi or Black leather in the Elegance or cloth (SE spec & below).

Was there an L&K pre-FL?

Anyone know the relevant build codes for the off-road button or the rough road pack? Knowing these will enable me to ask the dealer to send a picture of the sticker to me for deciphering.

Yes, there was a pre FL L&K version which included standard features over Elegance such as:

Park assist

Panoramic sunroof

Heated windscreen

Columbus satnav

Black leather interior (no option for Gobi)

The Off road button was standard only on the 4x4 versions of the Elegance & L&K and an option on the 4x4 versions of the S, SE & SE Plus. (All details taken from the June 2013 version of the Yeti brochure)

I found a thread in the Technical Guide which directs you to a vehicle description decoder and plugged the codes in for my car:

E0A = No special edition
1D0 = Without trailer hitch
5GJ = Sheet metal bodywork
5RC = Right exterior mirror: convex (modified viewing field)
1KS = Disc brakes, rear (Geomet D)
6FF = Body-colored exterior mirror housings and various add-on parts
1AT = Electronic stabilization program (ESP)
3FA = Without roof insert (standard roof)
1N3 = Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)
1NL = Covers for alloy wheels
HW6 = Tires 225/50 R17 94W
4UP = Drivers and front passenger air bag with knee air bag and front passenger air bag deactivation
4R4 = Power windows with comfort operation andcircuit breaker
5KP = 3 separate seats (first row of seats)
3GC = Cargo area with multi-load system preparation
4X3 = Side air bag front with curtain air bag
4A3 = Seat heater for front seats separately controlled
8L5 = Roof antenna and "diversity" window antenna
J0N = Battery 330 A (61 Ah)
QI6 = Service indicator 30,000 km or 2 year ( variable )
8GU = Alternator 140 A
9AK = Climatronic with impact pressure control free of cfc
8RM = 8 speakers (passive)
7Q0 = Without navigation device
8AG = Radio with CD/MP3
8QL = Key for locking system with remote control
8X1 = Headlight washer system
4K3 = Radio remote controlled central locking operated from inside and safe securing
B09 = Type approval Great Britain and NorthernIreland
7KJ = Vehicle class differentiation 7P0
QN1 = Drawer under left front seat
3L3 = Manual height adjustment for front seats
9P3 = Seat belt reminder, electric contact in buckle
7X1 = Park distance control
9W8 = Car phone preparation
8WD = Integrated front fog light
7A0 = Without CD changer/CD player
3GG = Plane rear cargo area
7AL = Anti-theft alarm system, passenger compartment control, backup horn and towing protection
G06 = Front shock absorption
L67 = Suspension range 67 installation control only, no requirement forecast
7P4 = Manually adjustable lumbar support in front seats
F0A = No special purpose vehicle, standard equipment
3S2 = Black roof rails
2UB = Rough-road design

As far as I know I do not have the Rough Road Package but I do have the Off Road button so I'm not sure what the 2UB code above relates to.

• Like 1

You sir, are a star.

Thank you for doing that long list for me. Much appreciated.

Curious as to what the '2UB = Rough Road Design' is all about then if you don't have the additional underbody protection...

Is '7X1 = Park Distance Control' just the rear sensors or F&R?

I can only imagine that it's just the rear sensors as that's all I have. You'll also notice that the Off Road button doesn't get a mention in these codes but it's relatively easy to spot as it's the central button below the air  con/temp controls. If it's blank then you probably haven't got it.

Can anyone that spec'ed the rough road package please plug their codes here http://igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx and see if they can identify the code for KBPhoto.

PDC is front and rear I believe.

I've done some very light offroading (the sort of thing you could probably do in a normal car if you were determined/stupid enough) and the offroad button does make it a bit simpler; less sensitive go-pedal in particular, but the sorts of off-road bits I've covered would have been fine without the button engaged. Anything that I felt needed the button would be something I wouldn't want to drive over - I know my limits.

It's good in traffic jams though. ;)

Thanks. I've read the threads about which buttons are available as options - even the one with ejector seat and something else (can only think they are not dealer fit options!)

I've been looking closely at the pictures some dealers provide, but a lot are so bad that it's impossible to tell which buttons are fitted, what headlights there are or even if a sunroof is fitted!

A lot of the time they can't list it properly and I cannot rely on searches to pick up the things I want.

I could check if the one with running boards has the RRP or not, as I travel close by most days :)

I share your frustration trying to work out what features are fitted on used models.

The RRP was one thing you couldn't tell from photos, most others you could - looking at the bottom row of buttons, looking for heated seat controls, and quickly counting how many buttons there are around the touchscreen to see if it's a Columbus or not :)

Incidentally, you could have heated cloth seats; my Dad has a 1.2 TSI SE Plus with them (probably an option).

Shame VAG don't have a system like the publicly-available Ford ETIS website - you can put any reg number in there, and it tells you the exact spec it left the factory with, and what date it was built.

Sometimes if the dealer doesn't know it has certain extras, that's a good thing...if they know you've been looking for ages for a car with a certain spec and have just found the perfect car, doesn't put you in the best bargaining position. So I tried to find out as much as I could about any prospective car without asking.

Sometimes if the dealer doesn't know it has certain extras, that's a good thing...

I suspect that the dealer does (or could) know, at least if they're an official VW group dealer. Getting a p/ex value for my CR170, the Audi dealer I was at knew as soon as they looked up the regno what the options list contained.

Thanks guys.

Having done some more reading and checking of economy, tax, etc. I think I'm going to hold on for a CR170 (Elegance or L&K) with the right options for me.

Might take a while, but I'm not in a hurry as my Octavia is doing very well (for 'normal' driving).

Thanks.

I could check if the one with running boards has the RRP or not, as I travel close by most days.

Similarly, if you find anything that you're interested in in West Kent but you need someone to have a quick look to check what's what, then PM me.

Anyone know the VW Tiguan equivalent of the Yeti CR170 Elegance or L&K with rough road pack?

What's the correct VW terminology? I'm confused and the wife prefers the look of the Tiguan......

Anyone know the VW Tiguan equivalent of the Yeti CR170 Elegance or L&K with rough road pack?

What's the correct VW terminology? I'm confused and the wife prefers the look of the Tiguan......

Probably an R-Line 177PS, but it's all there on the VW Configurator. AFAIK there's no RRP available on the Tiguan. (There is something called 'Under-run Protection' but I think that's more bling than functional.)

If you're looking at a Tiguan you need to convince yourself that you can live with the 1990's dash design. And don't forget that the Tiguan 2 is due for release in early 2015 (though in the way of these things, that looks like being a somewhat larger model).

Personally I'm looking at an Audi Q3 as an alternative to my current Yeti - I ruled out the Tiguan some time ago on several counts. The Q3 doesn't score well on rear space (which isn't much of an issue for me)  but otherwise acquits itself pretty well.

The red dash (Maxidot) display is hidious I agree, but the 2010 onwards white Maxidot looks to be the same as the Skoda one.

Or are you referring to the whole dash layout which I don't think is too bad personally. Have to admit I don't especially like the Yeti's 'tunnel' speedo & rev counter or the air vents that look like they are always open. But these things are always personal opinion & subjective.

I need some boot space on a regular basis and the Yeti will do (30cm shorter than the Octavia) but, AFAIK, the Q3 is smaller again and the Tiguan a little bigger (please correct me if I'm wrong).

As I'm looking at a 3 year old (roughly) model, the new Tiguan won't have much effect on me and the Q3's will probably still be out of my price range.

I'll look at the R-Lines and see what info I can get on those. Thanks.

Or are you referring to the whole dash layout which I don't think is too bad personally. Have to admit I don't especially like the Yeti's 'tunnel' speedo & rev counter or the air vents that look like they are always open.

I meant the whole effect of the Tiguan/Golf Plus dash with its multiple air vents used as a sort of design feature.

I need some boot space on a regular basis and the Yeti will do (30cm shorter than the Octavia) but, AFAIK, the Q3 is smaller again and the Tiguan a little bigger (please correct me if I'm wrong).

You need to be a little careful with visual comparisons. The Q3 is, from memory, much the same length as the Tiguan. But because of the curved/sloping rear roof in the Q3 there's somewhat less vertical height right in the back (although the Tiguan also suffers from this to a degree). There's no doubt that the uncompromising boxiness of the Yeti in the rear styling does maximise its stowage space for its length. The flexibility of the Yeti rear seats is also a real plus.

As I'm looking at a 3 year old (roughly) model, the new Tiguan won't have much effect on me and the Q3's will probably still be out of my price range.

Must admit that I haven't looked in detail at used Tiguan prices - ruled out the Tiguan some time ago for my purposes. But from my limited searching previously VW dealers seem to be trying for unrealistic prices on the Tiguan whereas Audi dealers are more willing to discount. So the price differential may be less than you imagine. Also, the Q3 does come rather higher specified. But we each reach our own decision about our preferred new car.

I don't especially like the Yeti's ... air vents that look like they are always open.

If you go for the Elegance spec which has Climatronic as standard, there's no reason not to have the air vents open all the time.

If you go for the Elegance spec which has Climatronic as standard, there's no reason not to have the air vents open all the time.

It was more to do with looks than functionality as I prefer the clean look of the Mk2 Octavia air vents that can be closed.

But I see your point about the dual climatic: I can have it cold on my side and SWMBO can have it warmer on hers.

KB I would suggest some decent all-season tyres to go with which ever car you end up buying. They will help a lot for the conditions you described you will have to drive in. Or if funds allow: summer tyres and steelies with winter tyres, for assured grip in the colder months.

It was more to do with looks than functionality as I prefer the clean look of the Mk2 Octavia air vents that can be closed..

But the Yeti air vents can be closed.

Personally the only thing I would use is the Hill Descent system, but I do not like the Yeti's ability to use that in neutral, which I consider decidedly dangerous.

I have used the Hill Descent several times and it does work well and like what Graham said doing it in Neutral is a bit dangerous as when the slope starts to level off the Hill Descent switches off and all of a sudden you start to pick up speed. Most likely time to use it will be when snow is on the ground and living on the Malvern Hills some of the roads are quite steep.