Fabia 1.9TDI Elegance 06 - Should i sell ?

I am at a cross roads with our car, we have two Fabia's, one is a Mk2 1.6CR Elegance on a 60 plate (which is lovely), it has done just over 15k and is my car, the other car is a 1.9TDI Elegance with 57k on the clock and at 8 years old now we are thinking of getting rid and buying a Hyundai I10 1.2 Premium (top of the range), on a PCP and my partner will have this instead of the Mk1.......... Our issue is that both cars run perfectly and have never caused us one problem since we bought them when they were both 5 months old !  But at 8 years old and getting older will the Mk1 continue with this good record ? We don't really need a 1.9 diesel as my partner only works 3 miles away and the rest is just shopping and general small travel routes.

Both cars are in the same colour (don't laugh), and that's Cappachino (sp) Beige. I look after all my cars very very well, the cambelt has been done and it wants for nothing, i wash it with a lambswool mitt and it has never seen a car wash (awful blooding things), the bodywork is like a 2 year old car.

Should i simply keep it until it DOES start to cause us issues or change it now for one of the latest '' city '' cars and then change it every 3 years when the PCP ends.... oh, and we own both cars outright.

I know this is a bit of a life story but i am really in two minds and my partner is not that bothered as it runs so well !..... i also had it re-mapped a few years ago and its now making around the 130bhp mark.....But we both drive like Miss Daisy in it.

Edited by Hudson1

It will sell easily if you chose to as they are sort after. It shouldn't go wrong, although there are always risks. Turbo failure, suspension work etc etc. It will be costing you more in maintenance or fuel than the benefit and you are getting just doing 3 miles though.

We were contemplating the same recently, and do you really want to go from a car you own and have minimal outlay on, to a brand new car that you have no worries about, but it costs you every month for the rest of your life, until you stop and decide that you want to own a car and then you have no equity to put down... In reality whatever deposit you put down you never get back. It doesn't work for me, tbh, particularly when you are unlikely to be surprised by any bills by the way you pay attention to your car!

If it aint broke....

Id say keep the Fabia, no one can tell the future but lets say the turbo goes pop in exactly 1 year from now, would the cost of having it repaired out value the cost of 1 years PCP payments?

If it costs more to have a Brand new car on PCP then i would keep the Fabia. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the info and your thoughts on this, the point made about the way in which i look after it and having no surprises is right. We had the front suspension bushes done about a year ago and it had the brake discs and pads done about 6 months ago ..... and they were the original ones from new !! It also has a set of upgraded  (OEM) alloys on it which have been on since new and they look really nice (17'').

I will have a think about as its without doubt one of the best cars we have ever owned.

Thanks

I drive a  2001 1.9 PD comfort with 121408 on the clock (which is equivalent to 4.8 times round the world!) The old girl is still going strong and uses no oil just consumables: pads discs filters etc.

Your right, i would not have posted the question if i had not been having doubts...... it always gets nice comments from people who can't beleive its age. Its a keeper. Ta.

Your right, i would not have posted the question if i had not been having doubts...... it always gets nice comments from people who can't beleive its age. Its a keeper. Ta.

I was in a similar situation to you, wifes' 07 1.9 tdi mk1 owned from new just 50k and a 57 mk11 1.9 tdi ( both elegance ) I chopped mine in  ( for a 09 octavia ..... 1.9 tdi elegance estate )

as far as I'm was concerned the lure of a new car on PCP might look good BUT as already stated you will never own it and you will be the suffer the depreciation EVERY time you upgrade

plus my wife wouldn't even consider changing her car........ '' we only need to change 1 car for something bigger due to daughter going to uni in Bristol and we live in North Yorks and I'm keeping mine !! ''

as they say ''you know it makes sense ''