Retrofit cruise control to a MK1 classic

Has anyone attempted this to a poverty spec classic?  Can it be done with a stalk (as per mk4 golf etc) or would I have to change the steering wheel to a multi function one?

I fitted cruise to my VW Bora many years ago, would it be the same job?

Thanks

• Like 1

I had my Superb retrofitted with cruise by the supplying dealer as a part of the negotiated deal. It's dead easy to do, dirt cheap and works well.

You need a new LH column switch, a little wiring (both come as a kit) and a possible software enable to the engine controller. Controllers with a "G" in the coding are already enabled. (Geschwindigkeit = speed).

I regard cruise as a "must have" fitment to this car. Its main job is as a motorway hack when not towing and cruise is a major enhancement - which works well on this car, down to 20mph. Downsides are that there's no rest for your right foot, so you end up with it flat on the floor (stupid) and that it's needlessly greedy with fuel when maintaining speed on gradients. Without cruise, you would let the car lose speed a little uphill, and regain when going down. VAG's cruise will pile in the fuel mercilessly to maintain speed.

You can always switch it off though... I wouldn't want a car specified for "stodge duty" without it.

rotodiesel.

Edited by rotodiesel
  • Like 1

Cheers Roto, yeah I fitted the LHS stalk cruise to my Bora many years ago.. only problem was the cracked windscreen removing the scuttle panel!!  I have vag-com access to can check the engine module..

• 4 months later...

Hi technics100,

How did it go?

I have just retrofitted cruise control to my 03 classic superb with an ebay kit from cum_cartec.

The instructions were terrible but it appears to work and the speed control seems to function correctly.

I have to ask though, does this car have a cruise control light in the dash panel? If so, my light does not work.

I looked on ELSAWin and no cruise control symbol is shown on the dash panel insert there.

If anyone has questions on fitting this, you are welcome to ask me and I'll try to help.

Hugh.

EDIT: Just found post from 2009 stating no cruise control light exists on MK1 Superb.

Edited by mcsweeney
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I never got around to it!!  Which kit did you get?  Could you post a link?

Will hopefully have a go soon..

Hi technics100,

How did it go?

I have just retrofitted cruise control to my 03 classic superb with an ebay kit from cum_cartec.

The instructions were terrible but it appears to work and the speed control seems to function correctly.

I have to ask though, does this car have a cruise control light in the dash panel? If so, my light does not work.

I looked on ELSAWin and no cruise control symbol is shown on the dash panel insert there.

If anyone has questions on fitting this, you are welcome to ask me and I'll try to help.

Hugh.

EDIT: Just found post from 2009 stating no cruise control light exists on MK1 Superb.

Edited by technics100

• 6 months later...

Hi Technics100,

I sent a PM with the link as I believe posting the actual ebay link would be against forum rules. If anyone else wants the link just PM me and I will reply with link but a search of the named sellers ebay items should get the same result. Don't forget to get the 12mm spline bit necessary to remove the steering wheel.