Temp guage - odd occurance

In the three years of ownership the temp guage needle on the SE has always been rock steady right in the middle -

Yesterday the needle moved to just below the 3/4 mark - levels ok, no leaks , fan working ok

Today it is back to the middle !!

Any ideas 

Thanks -

Since the "error" happened just once and is now acting as expected I guess a faulty temp sensor maybe the most likely cause - is this a main dealer part only ?

Thanks -

Since the "error" happened just once and is now acting as expected I guess a faulty temp sensor maybe the most likely cause - is this a main dealer part only ?

No, you can get one anywhere.

Don't think they have them in my local newsagents? :p

In all seriousness I've had more issues with pattern CTS than any other component. Buy a genuine one.

I agree, genuine is best, I was just making the point that if he lives nowhere near a dealer and needs one quickly then they're easy to get.