forged rods

I'd give Darkside Developments a call, considering they are running 350bhp on a 1.9tdi and using NOS.

Jason on here is over 300bhp too, but I believe he's the only one outside DD.

• Like 1

anyone running forged rods and what power do u recommend upgrading to them? 

Yes, every VRS owner, all VW PD130 engines use fracture-split forged steel conrods and a forged steel crank as standard, this is why the bottom ends are so strong, the pistons are not forged but are often Mahle and piston failure is rare due to the sheer size and strength of the standard piston.

The 'achilles heels' of PD engines are the head and the turbo, heads will lift and crack and you don't need me to tell you about the turbos.

• Like 4

The other thing I forgot to mention is that the usual reason for upgrading bottom end components is that it's RPM and not torque that kills bottom ends, so when you tune a petrol engine you usually want to spin more RPM to get more power, with a diesel this is very difficult due to the much lower flame speed and the inability to accurately control the ignition timing due to the the limitations of the injector cycle. This is why you use boost to increase torque rather than RPM.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that the usual reason for upgrading bottom end components is that it's RPM and not torque that kills bottom ends, so when you tune a petrol engine you usually want to spin more RPM to get more power, with a diesel this is very difficult due to the much lower flame speed and the inability to accurately control the ignition timing due to the the limitations of the injector cycle. This is why you use boost to increase torque rather than RPM.

I did both :D  2.7 bar of boost and 5500rpm limiter.

Interesting piece to read. I don't want to say your lying but what proof do you have?

How do you know they are all forged steel?

:)

Because you can't spec. sintered rods for such high combustion chamber pressures, sintered rods are really only used in N/A production petrol engines and they're just about the first thing you have to change if you do any tuning at all. You can call me anything you want if you pay me properly and I'll shake your hand, smile broadly and tell everyone what a great guy you are.