Oversteery octy!

So I think I know the problem (depending how look at it) but just wanted to check if something else could be amiss. Not too bad in the dry, but in the wet my vrs seems to go sideways for fun. This really is fun when you plan for it, but not so much when I would take the same corner in the same conditions in my old 206 without any sideways action at a slightly quick, but not really that fast, speed. On the up side I approve of how it handles when going sideways! So I have Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetrics on the front and a brand I have never heard of on the back (came like that), my thinking is the rear tires are just naff, but anyone else had this issue?

Had the same on mine a while back, decent tyres on front, and A1 ditch finders on the rear.  Fitted decent tyres on the back and now tons better in the wet, hasn't spun out yet.... touch wood!

Rear shocks could be on there way out as well.

That would not make car go sideways just make car a bit saggy. Generally car will go more sideways with tougher suspension and poop tyres

That would not make car go sideways just make car a bit saggy. Generally car will go more sideways with tougher suspension and poop tyres

It can make the rear pop out around corners too. Due to it being unstable.

Interesting that the conversation has got this far with no-one suggesting the most basic / free things to check first.

Which is - the tyre pressures :)

Ok, I concede that if there is an underlying issue causing oversteer (geometry, arms/bushes, tyres, shocks etc.) then playing with tyre pressures is a bit of a bodge to alleviate symptoms.

However, it is worth trying as it is free.

It's something that people often forget to address - but being an ex-racer, I remember how tyre pressures were a valuable and important part of tuning and handling, depending upon weather, temperature and setup.

For curing chronic oversteer, I might consider trying to run say 35psi in the front tyres and 25 psi in the rears, as a rough starting benchmark? And see what happens.

The manufacturer's recommended pressures are just a 'catch all' advisory for normal joe public doing vanilla driving. There is nothing wrong with experimenting with your own pressures in order to set up your own car how you like it.

Give it a go and let us know how you get on?

• Like 1

Cheers for the info, tire pressure is a good shout. I am leaning towards naf tires on the back, but the pressures will make a difference I'm sure. I'll check em out and see how it goes. Ideally i'd just go and get two more F1's fitted on the rear but funds won't allow!

I'd suspect Woosung Dark Spins (or similar) rear. Well, that or a RARB turned up to 11. I certainly don't endorse varying tyre pressuers by 7PSI fron standard recommendations in one hit.

Not wanting to cast doubt over your ability to drive, but do you know what lift off over steer is? If the back end is leaving you during turning it could be the way you turn!

Cheers, but I am indeed aware of lift off oversteer. This is what is happening but at a much slower speeds than normal, not even trying to get lift off oversteer (usually has only happened when I'v asked for it lol