The recirculate button...

muddyboots

Hi all

I noticed recently that the recirculate button on the climate control has two settings (or three, if you count "off"...).

First setting, the button's left green LED comes on. This I believe is just normal, manual recirculate setting. 

Second setting, the button's right green LED (next to a letter "A") comes on. I read the manual but found it a bit confusing & ambiguous.

My interpretation was that in this setting, recirculate will automatically be enabled when the air quality sensor decides the outside air is of poor enough quality.

Is that what everyone else understands ?

Has anyone else used it in this "automatic" setting and been aware of it doing anything ?

Not sure if you get any indication of when it does enable recirculate.

Or what makes it think the air quality is poor enough - particulates (eg smoke), some gas/fume levels, or what ?

My understanding is that the setting with means that if the car detects bad odors or other atmospheric issues the car will automatically engage recirc mode to stop that air entering the cabin and disengage when the issue is resolved.

Mine never seems to hold on to "A" mode.  I don't know whether it resets when I turn the engine off, or making another adjustment to the climate control does it, but it hardly ever seems to stay on for long.

It would have been very welcome driving past Dalgety Bay yesterday evening...  :sick:

In A or Auto mode, no it won't hold it if you change a setting, other than the temperature. It is in Auto mode because it will "sense" the best settings.

EDIT.

That was a load of rubbish! Confusion reigns supreme.

Just been out to fit my towing hook and I checked the settings.

With the A on the Recirculate button lit I can alter all the settings on mine, from temperature to where is is being distributed.

The information about recirculation mode and air quality sensing is news to me. I will have a play next time I take the car out. :)

Forgot who it was, but someone did a test a couple of years ago on the effect of various factors on fuel consumption in the summer months, and the worst by a long way was driving with the windows open. Having the air con on made hardly any difference, especially on the larger engined cars and diesels.

And then there is the cost of replacing the bits when they seize up through under use!!

• Like 3

Forgot who it was, but someone did a test a couple of years ago on the effect of various factors on fuel consumption in the summer months, and the worst by a long way was driving with the windows open. Having the air con on made hardly any difference, especially on the larger engined cars and diesels.

And then there is the cost of replacing the bits when they seize up through under use!!

+1

• Like 1

I had mine in "A" mode until I was following an aging Audi A4 down the road the other day that was clearly burning more oil than petrol. And within seconds the entire cabin was filled with a nasty oily haze. So I switched from A to permanent recycle and lo & behold the air cleared.

Air quality sensor - my ar$e.

I had mine in "A" mode until I was following an aging Audi A4 down the road the other day that was clearly burning more oil than petrol. And within seconds the entire cabin was filled with a nasty oily haze. So I switched from A to permanent recycle and lo & behold the air cleared.

Air quality sensor - my ar$e.

I can assure you that it does work, and others here will confirm that.

• Like 1

From the Mythbusters Website on Discovery

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/ac-vs-open-windows.htm

Finding: BUSTED

Explanation: When the weather warms up, is driving with the windows down or with the air conditioning running more fuel efficient? Auto experts have claimed that AC is the wisest way to go, but MythBusters Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage fueled up two identical SUVs and took them to the tracks to truly solve this roadside riddle.

With five gallons of gasoline in each tank, the MythBusters saddled up their SUVs and circled Northern California's Altamont Raceway at 45 miles (72 kilometers) per hour to see which one ran out of fuel first. Before starting their engines, Jamie cranked up the AC, Adam rolled down his windows, and the pair set off on their race to nowhere.

In the end, Jamie's air-conditioned SUV stopped first, while Adam's window-cooled car ran for 15 miles (24 kilometers) more. Since rolling down the windows sustained Adam's SUV for a significantly longer distance, the MythBusters busted the expert advice.

For fuel-savvy summertime driving, keep your air cooling au naturel.

Eh two different cars,two different drivers would get different mpg regardless. MythBusters =American carp, entertaining maybe, scientific not. I certainly wouldn't be sitting sweltering in a hot car because MythBusters say so. But as this is digressing from the original topic, I'm out.

Even if this result was accurate and we take the figures as stated I personally would have preferred the 150 miles (guess @ 5gal at 30mpg approx) in a car with a/c and say at 70 mph even more so,otherwise just get a convertible .is it really a cost thing or a comfort thing,use it or lose it as they say.

Up to about 40 mph windows open and a/c are about equal. Over that speed and windows are better closed.

That said, a proper climate control system (rather than manual aircon) will switch itself off and on as required and can be incredibly efficient as the ECU controlling it can judge and adjust better than any driver.

Cheers

Rog

• Like 1

How can a car clear itself of anything in recycle mode? Perhaps your "story" was apochryphal? A bit like the "burning more oil than petrol" touch?

It clears by not allowing any more polluted air to enter the cabin. Therefore allowing the particles in the air already in the cabin to settle.

Have you never driven along - had a bad smell enter the car - pressed the recirculate button and notice it fades away quickly as a result?

I can assure you that it does work, and others here will confirm that.

Maybe in certain circumstances -perhaps the sensor is looking for pollen particles rather than oil?