Storage under boot floor

muddyboots

Recently, my father came to visit, and naturally we parked our Yetis side by side and spent plenty of time comparing/contrasting (to much rolling of eyes by my wife).

His is a 2012 1.2 TSI SE Plus 2wd..

Mine is a 2011 CR170 Elegance 4wd.

While stood a little distance away, we were looking at the rear of the cars, and noticed on mine - just poking out from under the rear bumper of mine, slightly to the right - the bottom of a "black box".

Not there on his.

On closer inspection, mine appears to have a deeper under-floor storage compartment bolted to the boot floor, where the jack, towing eye etc are (first time I'd looked down there actually!).

We both have spare wheels fitted.

Any idea why the difference ?

Is it a model year change, or something to do with the spec level ?

Known as a "battery box"  for some reason and mine has the same.

Could have been deleted from later models or perhaps it is only fitted to the 4x4's?

I keep my towing hook in mine but occasionally have to soak some water out of it.

My 2010 2wd had this, with plenty of room for the jack and other items if fitted to the car, my new facelift has a much shallower box with the airpump horizontal, not vertical.

Still space for a jack etc though.

Someone has reesigned it to reduce the amount sticking out under the car, which maust have been quite vulnerable off road.

The said box was changed when the exhaust went from twin to single on the 1.2,  something to do with the exhaust system  pipe work I think.

The said box was changed when the exhaust went from twin to single on the 1.2,  something to do with the exhaust system  pipe work I think.

So the deeper box remains on non 1.2 models ?

My understanding (which may be completely wrong) is that due to the greater weight of the 4WD cars, they have a more substantial jack than the 2WD cars. I think the reason that there is a difference between the 4WD and 2WD spare wheel kits is simply down to the different jack.

And the 4WD cars need a deeper box to accommodate the larger jack.

My understanding (which may be completely wrong) is that due to the greater weight of the 4WD cars, they have a more substantial jack than the 2WD cars. I think the reason that there is a difference between the 4WD and 2WD spare wheel kits is simply down to the different jack.

And the 4WD cars need a deeper box to accommodate the larger jack.

But the jack doesn't go in this box...  does it? (I thought it was underneath that?)

• Like 1

The jack on my 140 4x4 definitely goes in the "battery box" (there's nowhere "underneath" it could go, except on the ground!)  There's a foam plastic liner for for the battery box (made of the same material as the other boxes which surround the spare wheel) which just lifts out if you need to inspect the box itself (eg if it's filling with water like Lanigraham's did - glad to say that's not happened to mine [yet]).  The liner can also squeak against the side of the battery box quite annoyingly if it's not re-inserted straight.  :dull:

My jack, locking wheel key, plastic tweezers for removing plastic wheel bolt covers, compressor etc reside in the "battery box" below the floor. Pre F/L 4x4.

My jack, locking wheel key, plastic tweezers for removing plastic wheel bolt covers, compressor etc reside in the "battery box" below the floor. Pre F/L 4x4.

On my previous pre-FL 2wd Yeti and the current FL 4x4 had all the tools fitted inside the spare wheel, but I suppose if you don't have the spare wheel they'd have to be somewhere else!

Fred

My jack, plastic tweezers for removing plastic wheel bolt covers, wheel brace, etc reside in the "battery box" below the compartments below the false floor. Pre F/L 2WD TDI with spare wheel.

Locking wheel key was there as well but now lives in smallest tray under false floor.

Cheers

Rog

On my previous pre-FL 2wd Yeti and the current FL 4x4 had all the tools fitted inside the spare wheel, but I suppose if you don't have the spare wheel they'd have to be somewhere else!

Fred

I do have the spare wheel.

I think the storage inside the spare wheel was a fairly early design mod - my car is 2010 vintage and the spare will only store properly with the outer face of the wheel upwards, meaning that there's a lot of "dead" space underneath it.  I have tried putting it in the other way up but if you do that it stands a little higher than the other way round and the boot floor won't lie flat on top of it.

I can still store a few things under the wheel that wrap around the plastic post that secures it, like a tow rope and jump leads.  Anything that can only go in loose is basically a no-no because (things being awkward) it will almost certainly hurl itself under the wheel as you lower it into place.

Looking at the parts diagram...

http://www.partscats.info/skoda/en/?i=cat_vag_models&brand=sk&number=155&set=159&ein=2013&f=666&hauptgr=1234567890&hg=0&grf=001110666&bf=01110&hgug=011&ug=11&parent_id=225820

it appears that...

The 4WD cars have always had the big box.

The 2WD cars had the big box until May 2010 when they got the small box, except for

Some 2WD cars had the under-wheel storage from May 2010 until July 2011

It's not clear why though...