TSI Oil Consumption

So i have only had my 2.0 Tsi about a month now. I work at the garage i bought it from and the technician says the oil level was fine when he checked it. After only no more that 300-400 miles i have just had to put just over half a litre in. Can see any signs of a leak or any blue smoke either. Maybe the level wasnt correct when i got it? Maybe it is burning oil? Anyway i have topped it up to the exact level and have reset my trip counter. I am going to see if it drops again and if so how many miles its done. I know these engines are known to burn oil. the cars runs absolutely perfect and has only got 27000 on the clock with full dealer service history. Whats your thoughts?

Mine does weird things too and sometimes uses more than other times. I think tsi engines do this my fabia vrs mk2 used to go through patches of higher usage then it'd be fine for a few 1000 miles

I used to think it used more if I didn't boot it much and drive economically.

Mine has covered just over 60k. Over that time I've topped it up with about one and half litres. As others say it can 10k miles without using a drop and then suddenly will. I wouldn't worry about it. Most modern engines use oil and if you read the manual it states what the normal oil consumption can be.

'The level was fine when he checked it' could mean anywhere from the top mark on the dipstick to the bottom of the hatched area. Continue what you are doing now for a few tankfuls of petrol and you should be able to arrive at a meaningful figure for oil consumption. In the meantime I wouldn't be too concerned either.

Are you both checking the same way?

VW are quite specific that the oil level should be checked with the engine hot, on a level surface & about 10 minutes after shutdown.

FWIW mine uses about 250ml every 7500km but others drink like a sailor on shore leave (up to 500ml/1000km)

• Like 1

So far I have covered 3500 miles in 2 months on my '11 TSi,and the oil level has not dropped at all.

Unlike my Alfa which was an oilaholic...

Must've been a good year, around 2500k miles covered, oil to top mark.

My Alfa enjoyed a drinkie as well......

Edited by nickgpfc

• 5 weeks later...

I've got a TSI vrs and it eats oil. Had it at the garage a few time under warranty and had the crank seals replaced but it still seems to be doing something with oil. Although it runs perfect and no sign of using oil. Was some oil on the under tray and over the underside of the gearbox seals but not enough to justify me going through at least two 5L oil drums in roughly 8months (2000-3000miles) .

Going to take it back to the garage to check again before my years warranty runs out .

Have topped up with way over 10 litres of oil something major must be wrong. My cossie didn't use this much and it leaked badly