2011 VRS hissing suspension

Sii

Hi all,

Still in love with our second car, more so than I had planned. It's a lovely little city sprinter. However the warranty is up later in the year so I've been getting bits fixed/replaced.

I've had the centre caps and rear boot badge, all corroding. No biggie and replaced FOC.

However, I've started to notice hissing from both front shocks when going over long sloped speed bumps. Also when dropping over bumps in the road.

It doesn't happen when turning, there's not knock, rattle, loose suspension feel or overly light steering. Just a hiss.

I wanted to inquire as to whether anyone else has had this and whether Skoda have taken a realistic stance on it or have they played hard ball.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sii

Sii

Hi Sii. I also get a hissing noise too when going over bumps. I just thought this was a normal sound from suspension but I might be wrong. Mines also a 2011.

My warranty is coming to an end soon too. My centre caps look awful. Did they replace them without any hassle? I could do with getting them replaced. And the rear badge is starting to corrode. Did you contact a dealers direct to sort warranty work out?

I just called into Benfield Newcastle. Pointed out the corrosion and came back an hour later. They'd ordered the parts, no hassle.

I used to build cars for a hobby and whenever I've had noisy shocks in the past it's normally been due to wear and tear and them being on the way out. I mainly worked with classic V8's and rice :)

My XC90 had hissing shocks and they were dying too.

Sii

I am Mutton Geoff,

but i would not hear a 'Hiss' over all the clutter & stuff i have Clunking, knocking and rattling in the Glove Compartments & the rear.

george

• Like 2

Hissing when suspension is being compressed is perfectly normal but ONLY when working hard, like hitting a speed bump. These shocks are so called "gas shocks" - they have oil AND gas in them making damping and rebound more controlled. There's plenty of info on the web about it.

Oil shocks do not make that kind of sound, is less pronounced and different. 

In other words, nothing to worry about :).

I think the shocks only need replacing when:

1. bent

2. leaking

3. internal seal gone and they after hitting a bump in the road they keep bouncing for a while "on their own" so to speak.

• Like 3

Well I can't thank you all for your advice. Looking at my car history and modification history, everything has been oil shocks. Hence the confusion regards to the noise.

It does start on, when on the first drive of the day, as very pronounced over every pot hole, divot, bump, lump and speedbump. Then as the car warms up, the noise subsides. But it never goes fully.

Assume I must be hearing what has been suggested and possibly a noisy bush somewhere in the car.

Put my mind at rest. Thanks.

Sii

My vrs year half old. Dont think i have noticed this hissing sound but now its been pointed out im sure to listen for it.. all i usually can hear is the whine of the supercharger and whistle of the turbo dumping. Im yet to fit lowering springs but would of thought for the mileage the majority have done should be fine

Windows down. Drive down an old back lane. Allow the sound to reverberate around and in to the car. Quite off putting during it's production. Mine has 52,000 on.

Sii