Intercoolers, twintercoolers and KO4 conversions?

After reading through this forum for the last couple of months I've decided that I would like to do the KO4 turbo conversion should funds allow in the future. Now I understand that the intercooler in many cases has been changed for an S3 item is this due to fitment reasons (pipe work and location) or just because it flows more air and cools better? Would a standard intercooler setup fitted with a twintercooler kit be a suitable alternative or even a replacement (eg forge or other reputable manufacturer) provide the same performance and results. Anyone who can give me any answers could possible save me a shed load of cash lol.

Thanks in advance Rob.

The best thing to do mate is get the turbo, injectors, and boost pipework all from one source, expect to pay around £700. This with a few tweaks to your current intake will be perfectly useable. I have a k04 kit ready to go for my car but want to find a suitable intercooler core to completely replace the OE cooler as its sandwiched between 2 red hot radiators and will always be flawed regardless who makes it. I'd get a clutch at the same time mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What "tweaks to the intake" do you mean? The position of the oe intercooler is the reason I ask about the twintercooler as it sits in front of the rest of the cooling pack and is fed cool air from the lower front grill. I've only just started looking into turbos but have become confused by what vehicle the turbo and injectors can be taken from. Could you shed any light on this also?

An audi s3 intercooler will do the job and you could remove the air con to aid flow. You will need an uprated clutch and a 3" downpipe or full exhaust so that doesn't restrict flow either and HPFP internals and s3 injectors

Not forgetting suspension and brakes and decent tyres and uprated engine, gearbox and torque mounts.... Hope that hasn't put you off ;) no point in whacking a k04 on without all the other upgrades ! Oh and an LSD and Remap to get it all running properly ! Haha

Suspension is pretty much done any way. Already got the DV relocated and a cat back exhaust. Down pipe or intercooler is next. That was the idea of this thread really. Trying to get every thing bought and in place so If I do decide to go with a KO4 there are only a few things that need changing. Just trying to I deity the stuff that can be do now and the things that once done will require a remap.

No Uprated engine or gearbox required. If you want to save money and wanted to get it fitted you don't need downpipe, intercooler or hpfp. In fact there are some tunes now that you don't even require the injectors. Just get a k04 stage 1 style map until your ready for the rest.

• Like 1

Not forgetting suspension and brakes and decent tyres and uprated engine, gearbox and torque mounts.... Hope that hasn't put you off ;) no point in whacking a k04 on without all the other upgrades ! Oh and an LSD and Remap to get it all running properly ! Haha

Do as the man says. It's worth it ;)

Should my financial situation allow I will be doing. But also it been my daily driver I need to have everything ready to go before I start stripping the car down.

Ok. So if you want to use the original cooler you'll need the K04 turbo, K04 outlet pipe and an outlet pipe to intercooler hose from an ED30. If you later get an S3 cooler you can just cut the bayonet connector off and it'll fit right onto the S3 cooler.

Twintercoolers aren't that effective tbh, there are better alternatives which fit in place of your oringinal (Wagner, THS, APR etc). If you want to go Twintercooler I believe you should ask for the ED30 hoses to go with your Octavia Twintercooler (confirm with Forge)

Anything else?

It'll probably need modifying to fit behind it like on the mk1's but there is bags of room tbh. I had one but never got round to fitting it so a mate had it for his defender. Once I've got other bits sorted I'll get round to it. I begrudge spending 500-700 on something you can't see.

The mk1 boys use them. Proven time and time again to give good results and only cost £80 off eBay. There universal so you'll have to do sort the pipework yourself but it'll still come in at under £200 inc cooler

It'll probably need modifying to fit behind it like on the mk1's but there is bags of room tbh. I had one but never got round to fitting it so a mate had it for his defender. Once I've got other bits sorted I'll get round to it. I begrudge spending 500-700 on something you can't see.

Have you physically measured the dimensions?

I found it would not fit without taking out the crash bar or moving the rad pack back. It's the curved part of the front end which made it too narrow.

I did my own intercooler on the Mk1 but I think it'd have to be smaller than the welly cooler on the Mk2, I'd like to be proved wrong though.

Edited by martziniuk