Spotify via MDI/Bluetooth

Does anyone else use Spotify for music and connect via the MDI?

I have noticed that when it changes to the next song on the playlist or album then whatever is displayed on the head unit in the car just stays on the first song that you played. However if you connect via the bluetooth audio feature it will display the correct song when it's being played.

Also if you are connected via the MDI and you use the steering wheel to cycle to the next song then it just plays the first song thats stored as an mp3 in my iPhone and not whatever should be next on Spotify. Again, this is not a problem if you use bluetooth as a connection. 

Do people who use Spotify and an iPhone have a similar experience? 

Matt 

I use Spotify and found on almost all cars, when using USB it often does all the things you suggest, and over bluetooth it is all gravy. I usually plug in the USB for charging purposes only and stream over bluetooth. I've not tried it on the Octy (as I haven't got it yet) but the courtesy Yeti I have this works just fine, as with previous Audi's and also the Pioneer system in my MR2.

I think the USB controls are trying to be too closely integrated with the iPod app and not thinking people may want to use alternatives like Spotify/Last Fm etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Can anyone confirm that when streaming via the Spotify app (via bluetooth) if the album art etc is carried through to the infotainment system ? Or will that only work with the MDI connection being plugged in?

Not to sure if spotify use depends on device. I use iPhone to stream via BT. Track data only with BT symbol where artwork usually appears. This is the same on Leon Mk3 via same means with Nav unit.

I can stream spotify via Bluetooth fine. I charge my phone via the usb and I thought maybe I can stream spotify through the usb? But it was still greyed out. I gather this can't be done.

Edit: skoda octavia mk3 bolero system

Edited by BreadC

For the record, Spotify via USB on an iPhone works fine on Columbus. I fact if you plug in the same phone that is connected via Bluetooth it insists on using the USB as it realises it's the same device and so why not use the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah as stated you need to have the MDI option in order to further control the phone via the touch screen.

As a result though you would lose your aux in and USB cable. As such I decided against it due to the rate at which apple change things - they will probably break the MDI functionality in the next update.

• 1 year later...