Couple of quick questions

Hi all

I've noticed today, since this morning as far as I'm aware, that I get a whistling noise at idle revs, slightest touch of gas and it's gone. It might well have been there before today but this was the first time I noticed it, engine was warm, not tried it cold, any ideas? It's in for service next week so I'll mention it there.

Which brings me on nicely to my next question, service schedule. When I bought the car (Sept 2012) it was on long service (2 years or 20k, not sure of correct terminology) but had the engine changed last August at 6770 miles. I wanted it changed to yearly service schedule when it goes for it's first service so am I correct in getting it booked in now? Is there anything that should be done different on the long service schedule than the short one that I should point out?

It only occurred to me today that they may do something extra on the long service that might be omitted because they will treat this like a first service because ot the engine change

Thanks in advance for your help :-)

The car wants a Major Inspection Service which is very little different from a Minor Service.

So a Pollen Filter changed, and tell them the story on the Engine,

You want the Oil & Oil Filter changed.  there is no reason for them to rip you off on a very Expensive Service.

I would have them change the Air Filter, for the £17 or so it costs.

If you are sticking with Long Life Oil yet changing the oil annually, then the Long Life VW 504 00 is a bit more expensive than the VW 502 00, 

but i would stick with the more expensive oil.

As to noises, they should be putting the car on the VAS Diagnostics, and have them check the PIpes & Air Intakes for leaks to see if that is the cause of the Noise.

Brake Fluid needs changed at 3 year old.

• Like 1

Thanks George

This one is 'on Skoda' so to speak, as compliments for the aggro I had with the dealer at engine change time. Am I correct in taking it in now or should I wait for the 20k to come around and get it done then? Are they able to reset the service counter or will I have to go back at 20k or whenever it chimes? 

I've never scrambled under the car, is the oil filter easily visible so I can see if it's changed, any tips on how to mark it to check it's been done?

The Oil filter is on the top of the engine just near your 'windscreen washer bottle cap'.

Look at it, and if it is a black one put some Tipex, paint or what ever, if a grey one just the same, marked with a marker pen or what ever.

Make it obvious it is marked, then they know you are paying attention and keeping an eye on things.

No point in sneeky markings, then it can cause hassle when you have to argue with them when you tell them you marked the filter secretly.)

Surely they can be trusted !!!

You can go into the Maxidot, go to Service & Change it,  Zero it, but they do that at the Service.

They can go change it from 'Flexible Service' to 9,400 miles / 372 days, but some mess that up.

(take care to check they do not lose you the choice to tick and have showing Oil Temperature, if they change things.)

I would have it serviced at 24 months now that it is going on Annual Servicing, 

and then have it done before 3 year Old & Warranty out, and have the MOT test done 4 weeks early and get a 13 month MOT.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Easier if you are double jointed, or you are using Petroleum Jelly.

Please let us know what they say, i like a laugh from time to time, 

this forum is too serious sometimes.

george

Rang the dealer today, they said they are basically doing a 2 year service on my car, even though the engine is only 1 year old, which I think is correct, the car will be 2 in 6 weeks. 

As you mentioned George, I'll get it booked in for an early one next year for the extended MOT so getting it serviced now will tie in nicely for next year.

They are going to listen for the whistling and I'm also asking them to check the Anti roll-bar rubbers for a bit of greasing and the top mounts for any signs of sticking, I've not had any 'knocks' or 'bangs' from them recently even with this dry weather so hopefully they've all settled in now.

Thanks for your help as always

Service went ok yesterday except they said they couldn't hear the whistling at idle, they said they tightened up some hoses and that'll probably stop it. It's still doing it so next time I'm passing I'll pop in and get them to listen.

The other thing was they tell me my rear tyres are out of shape, these are the famous Dunlops that came with the car (fronts were changed due to pot holes) and they've only done 15k miles. I'm sure I seen a thread on here the other day about the same or similar thing, but can't find it now, I'll keep searching.

Not sure what they mean by 'out of shape',  are they worn or worn unevenly ?

Unusual on rear tyres that have only been on the rear, 

the Dunlop Sportmaxx usually last almost for ever on the rear,

except where they were on the front & then changed to the rear when worn a bit.

They are directional tyres.

?

Are they on the correct sides of the car with the arrow showing they are going in the correct direction?

Most importantly, are they at the correct pressures?

george

PS.

I have seen plenty of threads where Members did not like the Dunlops, and where there were no use for them on the track.

Also where others have worn them quickly while spinning tyres etc.

I have had a few wrecked on the Sidewall with potholes because the sidewalls are not the strongest,

I do not use them anymore because of that, but on a hot summers day, they are my favourite tyre on the vRS.

If you can find  where someone has posted about them 'out of shape' please put up the link.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/176302-new-fabia-vrs-on-fifth-gear/page-2

Edited by goneoffSKi

Not sure what they mean by 'out of shape',  are they worn or worn unevenly ?

Unusual on rear tyres that have only been on the rear, 

the Dunlop Sportmaxx usually last almost for ever on the rear,

except where they were on the front & then changed to the rear when worn a bit.

They are directional tyres.

?

Are they on the correct sides of the car with the arrow showing they are going in the correct direction?

Most importantly, are they at the correct pressures?

george

The tread measurements were

Rear Left 5mm 6mm 5mm

Rear Right 5.5mm 6mm 6mm

with a note on the sheet 'rear tyres tread out of shape'

The tyre post I referred to was something about the inside of the rear tyres being wrecked, damned if I can find it :-(

Best go into a Tyre Fitters and see if someone with a clue can comment on the tyres.

Do you check your pressures regularly.?

Inside side walls can get wrecked on potholes and you do not see unless the wheel is off or you have it on a ramp and looking from underneath.

george

Best go into a Tyre Fitters and see if someone with a clue can comment on the tyres.

Do you check your pressures regularly.?

Inside side walls can get wrecked on potholes and you do not see unless the wheel is off or you have it on a ramp and looking from underneath.

george

Weekly or fortnightly checking pressures, sometimes more often as I do it with my pupils too. Where I live, the road are atrocious so I'm not really surprised!

On a sidenote, I asked them about changing from 2 click unlock to 1 click unlock, they said I can do it on Maxi-Dot, not had time to look yet but is this correct?

Cheers for your thoughts as always

• Like 1