Which? Car Survey 2014 - Yeti reliability rating drops yet again

docc

Five stars for reliability in the 2012 Survey, 3 stars last year, and now - shockingly - down to 2 stars in the 2014 survey.  And all based on survey forms completed by members owning Yetis.

"The Yeti scored a two-star rating in the latest Which? Car Survey, with older models showing signs of unreliability. Non-major issues like exterior trim and paintwork are the most common problems, but exhaust system, springs and flywheel faults are becoming more frequent."

I'm guessing (and hoping!) that these reliability issues reflect the usual teething problems on new models, and that by the time the FL vehicles came along they'd mostly been ironed out.  If that's the case, maybe next years survey will show an improvement, rather than a further decline.

I think the paintwork issues are fairly well documented as a known VAG issue (ie Not Yeti or Skoda specific) and all manufacturers have their fair share of DMF issues.

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs

Yeti came 3rd in JD Power/What Car survey overall and was top in SUV category this year which is a damn good showing.

Overall, the Yeti has been on the market for five-ish years now and continues to be rated and respected highly. It's only natural that there will be complaints as time goes by but this must be looked at in relation to other cars and not in isolation.

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs

They are all well know VAG problems. Paint has always been an issue even when the first Fabia came out around 2000. Most of the Yeti parts are not new, they come from the generic VAG parts bin. Most of the problems affecting the Yeti have been widely reported on other model forums for years.

About time they fixed them then!!!

Looking to change our Yeti for another make when the time comes as still having too many unexplained noises from DSG and not assured of long term issues and probable horrendous costs out of warranty.

Pity as love the car apart from the smaller than we would like boot.

Not convinced the facelift has fixed the problems either.

Edited by kibby

Looking again at the 2014 JD Power survey results, the reliability of the Yeti seems to be up there with the best (though the Tiguan beats it by some margin!) - figures shown represent 'average number of problems per 100 vehicles')

1 Volkswagen Tiguan 89.1

2 Mazda 2 116.6

3 Volkswagen Up! 119.6

4 Škoda Yeti 130.8

5 Hyundai i10 140.7

6 Kia cee'd 141

7 Volkswagen Touran 141.9

8 Škoda Octavia 145

9 Volkswagen Scirocco 147

101 Audi Q3 412.6

102 BMW X1 436.1

103 Alfa Romeo MiTo 444.5

104 BMW X3 448.2

104 Ford Fusion 448.2

106 BMW Z4 486.8

107 Chevrolet Spark 505.2

108 BMW X5 516.1

109 Land Rover Range Rover 524

Some obvious questions:

1  Why are the Yetis owned by Which? members apparently so unreliable, compared with the ones in the JD Power survey?

2  Why does anyone buy a Range Rover?  Style over function!

Is this JD Power survey a reliability or an owner satisfaction one? Obviously the two aren't unconnected, but the satisfaction will be taking into account several additional factors besides reliability.

Edited by prodata

The JD Power survey in the previous post was described as "average number of problems per 100 vehicles" which would seem to indicate reliability rather than owner satisfaction.

Cheers

Rog

Is this JD Power survey a reliability or an owner satisfaction one? Obviously the two aren't unconnected, but the satisfaction will be taking into account several additional factors besides reliability.

It's a pretty wide-ranging survey, and (I believe) quite well respected.  Here's a link, if it's of interest:  http://www.whatcar.com/awards/jdpower/2014/home

I gave up subscribing to "Which" years ago. I found it to be a nitpicker/cheese parer's publication with a particularly woeful "white goods" attitude to motoring.

• Like 3

It's a pretty wide-ranging survey, and (I believe) quite well respected.  Here's a link, if it's of interest:  http://www.whatcar.com/awards/jdpower/2014/home

Yes it's the same old satisfaction survey that we've discussed previously. Within that there may be some reliability figures pulled out - I don't know. 

@JCP Yes I do agree about the Which car reporting. My wife's a subscriber and I've just looked through the latest 'Best cars you can buy' round-up. You don't have to look very far to find that it's not written by anyone who understands numeracy. And that's just one flaw, there are several others. It's rather bizarre for instance that you're not allowed even to consider a car that's 'only' got 3 Star NCAP (Dacia Duster IIRC).

Edited by prodata