Air Con Issue

So the air con hadn't worked properly on my car for about 3 years - in hot weather the air it spewed out would be warm. So I decided the other day to gget a re-charge, and this did the job and I had lovely cold air in my car once again.

On the second day of use, after driving for several hours, I had an issue when I was in very heavy traffic, and the car hadn't moved for about 5 minutes, the vents suddenly started throwing out warm, and then very warm air. I switched the system off and opened the windows instead, and waited til I was running in traffic before I switched it on again, and when I did it was still warm at first but then went cold like it had previously been. A short while later I was in traffic again and the same thing happened, except this time I noticed that the temp gauge on the dash had gone to about the ten past position, again I switched it off and within a couple of minutes the needle on the gauge had returned to the normal position.

I'm now frightened to put the air con on - does anybody have any ideas what the issue might be?

If you can get the car scanned then flap motor issues should show up there.  

I think the flap motor for mixing hot and cold air is just above the gearbox tunnel on the passenger side, and is just about changeable without taking the dash out.  Mine was playing up but just running the recalibration of the motor ranges worked for me, so I didn't have to bother in the end.

You might be able to hear it, when they are failing it sounds like a broken DVD player in your dash, constantly seeking and retrying.

I'm not sure the 10 past issue on the temperature gauge is the same though.  i don't know how that side of things works.

• 2 months later...

Had the same sort of problems a while ago. Not sure if my probs were exactly the same, but I had mine regassed, but was told that my viscous fan was not working so well, and the electric fan was completely knackered. Have replaced both the fans, and no problems since. Best time to do them is at a cambelt and water pump change. You can lose some of the labour costs in them taking the front of the car off and replacing the fans while they're at it

I think the AC is shutting off as a safety mechanism to prevent it overheating. Make sure the condenser fan up front comes on when you switch on the A/C, this is the electric fan not the engine driven one. It has two speeds low in normal operation and then it cycles up to high in response to an increase in temperature, high ambient temperature, heavy traffic etc.( you will notice the difference its loud on high speed). Check the relays behind the kick panel on rhs of the steering wheel, when you remove the trim cover you will see a set of relays, then behind that a set of 3 relays these are the ones you want, mine worked on high speed only when the relay was unplugged and reseated it worked fine. Check all fuses. wiring etc. make sure there is power to the fan, you can buy the fan on its own and swap the blade over if its worn out, there is also a resistor up front on the chassis rail. Search is you friend on here you may find similar threads. Here is a link to mine, best of luck.

P.S. I keep mine on auto all the time winter and summer this will cycle the AC system more and keep things lubricated in the compressor and stop seals drying out, it will clear windows quicker and keep the interior at a comfortable temp and humidity. It will not come on below 5C outside temp to stop it icing up but works in conjunction with the heat above this temperature.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/278072-air-conditioning-condenser-fan/

Edited by gfinneran
  • Like 1