replacing diff rivets

Gearbox will be coming off to have a seal replaced so whilst im there im going to replace flywheel and clutch. I also want to replace the rivets that I hear the horror storys about. What do I need to do and what parts do I need. Thanks

I've never heard anything bad about diff rivets.

I take it they have been known to fail?

If you're going to go as far as stripping the whole gearbox to get the diff out you might as well fit an LSD. Or just forget about it, and if they do fail, buy a second hand replacement gearbox, they're not that expensive with the number of cars being broken.

Very common on 1.8T for the rivets to fail

Depends on what you mean as very common

TBH You only get to hear ones that go not the ones that don't so compare the amount of that gearbox type on the various VAG group cars and don't seem that common then.  :D

I certainly would not be replacing them when there is no need to , unless i was going to also fit a LSD at the same time.. 

• Like 1

Not sure what to do. My box has done 142k so wasn't sure weather to just get a recon box with the rivets replaced, or do I just fix my leaking seal, fit single mass flywheel and clutch and leave the rivets alone.

Not sure what to do. My box has done 142k so wasn't sure weather to just get a recon box with the rivets replaced, or do I just fix my leaking seal, fit single mass flywheel and clutch and leave the rivets alone.

I have done 156k still on same box and mapped with G60 and VR6 kit fitted so don't see why you are worried buddy.

If it ain't broke don't replace it, if you have spare dosh , no brainer get a LSD. :D

• Like 1

Not long moved into my 1st house so a lsd is out the question lol. I suppose it makes sense. I was just unsure how long these boxes last. My car isnt mapped yet either. Getting everything in place ready before I do.

If you are not stripping the box down, then you could well chance it, but if they are going to split the cases to reseal it, then it is only about another hour's labour to fit the bolts to the diff while it is down.

I agree with what Bowders says about the good versus the bad one's, but there is a bit of a growing trend on these boxes now they are getting to their tender years, so if you are having it down it makes sense to do it then. Its a bit like taking a dual mass flywheel out for a new one and not putting in a clutch at the same time.

Do I have to take gears and shafts out the box to re seal it or drill the rivets out? Or can I simply undo the bolts where the 2 parts meet and get to both like that? Iv never had a box off before. Got 2 mechanic mates who will be giving me a hand tho.

Is yours an 02j EHA box for a vrs?, if so I'll check it out later on Elsawin and get back to you. Do your friends have any VAG experience at all or are they used to working on other marques?.

You can't really drill the rivets out in situ as all the swarf will go into the box and eventually into the bearing surfaces, so removal of the diff would really be a minimum if you choose to do it.

I suppose you really need to ask yourself as Clint Eastwood said - do I feel lucky?, if so just do the reseal and move on, as you could dig yourself in quite deeply if you and your friends start running out of knowledge or tooling to finish the job once you start it, and I do not mean that in any way nasty, but sometimes with the best will in the world, some things are a job too far

Give me as much info as you can and I'll try to get you the appropriate info so you can make an educated judgement call.

Yh its the 5 speed box for the vrs. They have mostly worked on fords and one of my friends works on buses so not really any vag experience. Im not sure I feel confident taking a diff out lol. Can the seal be done without removing parts from the box? If its too much hassel I might just bite the bullet and buy a recon box with the diff already done lol. Just isnt cheap

Your best bets to ask that sort of question to and to get a prompt accurate response are either rwbaldwin or tech1e. There knowledge of these cars is VAST. :giggle: .

I will still check elsawin for you later though.

• Like 1

That's pretty much the job, but it will be more involved as you will need to reset the diff backlash afterwards. According to elsawin the 5th gear housing and gear with selector needs to come off, then the selector shaft and housing needs to come out. From there it is pretty much as the post above from Rob.

If your mate who is a ford tech has done a fair amount of time, then there should be similarities of how the unit comes apart to him, however, I would suggest you all get together and make sure you all feel good to go BEFORE you start, and are all happy in mind to press on otherwise it could be tragic.

I was a vehicle tech for nearly 15 years before taking promotions out of the shop and to be honest I would take a deep breath before thinking of doing this at home, and I've pulled apart a few gearboxes, but I'm not you and the choice is up to you at the end of the day.

Hope it helps

I found a local company that only does gearboxes and transmissions all day long, and paid them $1200 (600 quid!) to fit my LSD. Expensive, but the work is guaranteed. And better than taking the gearbox to them in pieces after pulling it apart then getting stuck. Or worse, putting it back together then having a problem. Removing the gearbox is fairly involved, especially when laid under the car on the floor at home.