Touch up paint advice please

parambyte

Hello gentlemen.

I am extremely annoyed at people parking their cars right within one foot of my Yeti and causing dents and scratches on my car every time they open their door.

Can't change the habit of an entire population, and can't afford running to the service station. So I need a touch up paint kit. Which one is best? I am in india, and the Skoda dealers here don't sell paint kits. They are happier charging bigger money on paint jobs.

I have found this on Amazon UK. Is this sufficient? They claim their paint doesn't require a lacquer.

What's the advice? I have read on earlier threads on these forums (but some of them are two years old so I started a new one) about some paint kits which come with primers, sandpaper, lacquer etc. do I need one of those? I also need to buy from someone who is willing to ship it to india (of course, I will pay).

The place where I live is hot and humid with three months on continuous rains. So rust protection would be needed.

Advice please...

That might be true; is Tupo Brown a metallic shade? If so, then I'd laquer it anyway, since the laquer is what makes polishing metallics possible.

Also, looking at the illustrated "brush in can", I'd buy a couple of hobby brushes, about #2 and #4 sizes, probably a chisel brush for the #4 rather than relying on their supplied one.

If you locate a kit with a built in brush do not use it unless it is the size of a cocktail stick at the business

end. They generally come with 4-5mm brush ends which makes it difficult to control what you put on

and generally ends up as a messy blob.

A very fine pointed artist brush is best that at the end looks like a cocktail stick in size is what you want

unless the damage area is large.

DO NOT try to do THE job in the heat of the day as it will be difficult to get a smooth surface as the paint will

almost dry on the brush before you get it to the surface to be touched up

I put on a little at a time finally leaving the paint a little higher than the existing paint level as it tends to shrink

a bit on drying.Try to do it so the minimum area has to be sanded. Use a very very fine (2000 grit??)

abrasive paper and only apply to the

retouched area with gentle strokes...you can always take more off but can't put it back on.

I often cut out a 5-7 mm circle of abrasive paper and glue it to a small piece of soft pencil rubber

(about 12 mm square) and gently

wipe it across the surface to be sanded trying to minimise the area affected. Take your time and recheck

often as you do it and you can achieve good results if the colour match is OK. You can achieve

the same effect other ways using the principle above (small area of abrasive applied gently...the rubber

backing helping to apply even gentle pressure).

I mix a little clear laquer with the the colour coat so that the finishing is simpler.

I finish off using a fine cutting paste (T Cut or similar in England) and finally a good polish.

Edited by kibby

I bought this paint for my corrida red yeti last year, from ebay.  The picture of the bottle is the same as the one on your amazon link.  I was attracted, because it was a third of the price of the official touch up paint.  I was disappointed with the final colour, it turned out to be a muddier red. Compared to the official red touch up paint I bought many years ago for a mars red VW polo I had, it did not match  as well.  

I haven't retouched up my yeti, it is not that bad,  but I have thrown the paint away and next time I need some touch up paint I will but the proper stuff.

Thanks a lot. Any kits you recommend?

Would you know if I can buy the official Skoda touch up kit (in fact thats what I would prefer) online from UK? I couldn't find any... but maybe I don't know the right service shops/Skoda service partners in UK.

Edited by parambyte