wierd engine whirring 11 plate fabia vrs

Hi all,

My car has developed a strange low whirring on tick over.  it comes on for about 3 seconds every 10 or so seconds.

It happens every single time I start the car, and I've noticed it continues as I'm actually driving also. 

The cars performace does not seem to be affected, but is very loud and last night, the engine made one loud low pitched sound (almost like a cat meow) much louder than the engine usually is.  I was going about 5 mph at the time.

Its difficult to decribe so I'll try to record it and attach a sound clip when I get home. 

In the mean time, any ideas?

The 1.4 TSI 132- 136 kW Engines Recommended fuel is 98 ron,

and in the UK that needs to be Tesco Momentum 99 or Shell V-Power Nitro, both of which are minimum 99 ron.

The other UK Super Unleaded are 97 ron Minimum .

and not using 98 ron or better does make all the difference. with the 1.4 TSI Twinchargers, what you save in a few pence per litre can cost you in

MPG and in Spark Plugs.

• 1 month later...

Well, 

The noise is back!!!

Since writing the original post I have been using exclusively Shell nitro+ unleaded (99 ron?).

Earlier this week the noise actually got worse, and now can be heard changing speed when revved (on my driveway, not moving).  When my car is coming to a stop at traffic lights gradually it does a little jolt forward just as I`m stopping.

The noise is a lot worse in the car than outside, even with the bonnet up. Car just now out of warranty.

Any idea?

First thing, is buy an Extended Warranty.    'Skoda Approved Extended Warranty' with Car Care Plan, 2 years around £547.  (1 year £399)

The car has no issues now, so best maybe to get one.

Has the DSG been in for the 'DSG Service Campaign'  Oil Changed & DSG ECU Update. ?

Did you get a letter from Skoda.

?

So what mileage on the Car, and does it have the Service History, 12 months Minor, 24 months Major,  36 months Minor & Brake Fluid Change. 

& have the Spark plugs been changed?

Edited by goneoffSKi

• 4 weeks later...

First thing, is buy an Extended Warranty.    'Skoda Approved Extended Warranty' with Car Care Plan, 2 years around £547.  (1 year £399)

The car has no issues now, so best maybe to get one.

Spoke to the supplying dealer about extending the warranty for an extra 2yrs now the car is heading for 3yrs old. 2yr extension plus Skoda Assist was quoted @ £500 with non-assist @ £399. 1yr plan is £299.

Will most likely take this out.

Maybe give Skoda UK a call and ask if the quote the same price for a 2 Year Extended without Assist..

What comes from Car Care Plan ltd when you buy the 'Skoda Approved Extended Warranty is 2 x 12 months Extended cover. (ie 24 months.)

I paid £547, & i think brian69 paid the same.

(Expiry Mileage Unlimited, Single Claim Limit £12,900)

It might have increased recently or decreased as it seems to have for you,

or your dealer might be quoting and wanting less commission than others take,

£500 for 2 years Extended Warranty seems good to me. If it is for a vRS.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Not to fuel the normal v super unleaded debate again but from experience a vRS runs just fine on 95 RON fuel, the only exception I've always made is to buy branded fuel, I v rarely if ever fill up at a supermarket station.

I ran ours exclusively on super for 9 months of ownership, when I was forced to use 95 RON (as it became my company car and couldn't buy super with my fuel card) I have to say there was little to no noticeable difference in the way the car went. For the remaining 9 months ran as good as gold.

The only issue I had with mine (and it was CAVE engined) was an intermittent high rev misfire which transpired to be a software issue and solved by an ECU re flash. Didn't burn oil either.

If it's making funny noises then bound to be something not quite right with it. It has a timing chain and quite a few more belt driven ancillaries that other card care of the twin charger set up. I'd just take it in and get it looked at.

Mine will not run on 95ron. Just been diagnosed by the skoda dealer as such!! Had some pretty dire/dangerous happenings in the car. Diagnosed by vagcom. Conclusion that bad fuel was to blame. Although it is going back in mid october (!!!!) For further diagnostics as I dont believe them. It felt mechanical to me. I.E somethings broke.

Yeah its bull that a twin charger in full working order will not run on 95 RON.

I've been told that low rev torque output suffers a little as a consequence but I noticed little or no difference in performance or general running between the two....so much so I somewhat regretted spending all the extra money on super that I did for the 9 months it received noting but....from me at least.

pipsyp,

of coarse a fully functioning 1.4 TSI Twincharger 2009 - 2014 is Designed and by EU Type Approval & Euro 5 Emissions must run on 95 RON Unleaded fuel, and does not have to be running 98 RON or better.

But there are Problems with some Engines & Engine Management as the Engines / Cars left the Factory.

There is CTHE Engines from 2012 with Different MAPS from the ones from 2 Years before.

Then the likes of Th3Grinch have a New Replacement CAVE Engine,  New or Remanufactured & running the VW / Skoda latest Software on the ECU.

& some of these are not running on 95 RON Unleaded without Misfires.

So unless someone can say what is involved in the ECU Updates, and is running one that does need UK Super unleaded 

ie Shell V Power Nitro or Tesco Momentum Minimum 99 ron

Or the UK Super unleaded others sell which is 97 ron minimum,  Sainsbury, Esso, BP etc

They should maybe pay attention to the Experiences others are having with VW's Latest Software / Maps.

• Like 1