skoda superb VOSA recall done then timing chain problem...help

lg10hmc

I have a skoda superb 2010 elegance tsi 1.8 DSG

serviced by main dealer all the time. 49,000 miles

Had in 2013 a warranty claim for clutch pack

Had water pump repalced in 2013

last weekend I took car to skoda citygate colindale for a VOSA recall. Collected car and within 15 miles had yellow exhaust warning light and major judder when at rest. Took car back. Surprise surprise Citygate say nothing to do with the recall work and its a total coincidence that i now have a possible camshaft problem and stretched timing chain. They want £192 to investigate further and likely an additional £500 for new timing chain.... They refuse to accept it has anything to do with VOSA recall work.

I'm not technical but find it hard to accept that a car running perfectly should have a major problem within 15 miles of leaving a garage where engine work has been done.

are Skoda right?

Help please

• Like 1

Welcome to Briskoda. :) What was the VOSA recall for? My Octavia II has the same engine and I am not aware of any recalls for its engine. On the other hand I am aware of timing chain tensioner problems affecting the 1.8/2.0TSi engines, and they can suffer from timing chain stretch too. If you are lucky you might get some warning and be able to replace both of those components for modified versions before the engine suffers major mechanical failure. Have a read of the thread below.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20tsi-engine-failures/

Vosa recall:

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=B86ED30248824F0E8025765C0031A74F&freeText=Blank&tx=

REF 37F2

CLUTCH MAY OPERATE INADVERTENTLY WITH UNEXPECTED LOSS OF DRIVE

In rare cases an incorrect interpretation of the clutch temperature can occur which results in the clutch opening unexpectedly with loss of drive.

: Recall affected vehicles and update/reprogramme gearbox control unit.

TMB1ZA2006004 to TMB1ZA2020518
TMB1Z92008181 to TMB1Z92065424

could this recall including oil change impact the exhaust system warning light then cause juddering and be linked to timing chain/camshaft issue?

Thank you

I don't see how the work on the DSG has anything to do with the camshaft and timing chain. I would want to know what fault codes were associated with the EPC fault light. If the 2 mentioned in the TPI in the link below were present, then the condition of the timing chain tensioner needs investigating without delay.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20tsi-engine-failures/?p=3455430

someone suggested "

It's possible that changing the engine oil dislodged a bit of dirt in the oil that then blocked the oil feed to the timing chain tensioner."

What do you think? I'm not mechanical

James

I don't understand why the engine oil would need changing when updating/reprogramming the DSG control unit. If the dealer recommends that timing chain stretch needs to investigated then get it done asap. And if you have a timing chain tensioner problem rather than chain stretch, then it needs sorting as a matter of urgency before the engine fails resulting in a repair bill of circa £6500. You are in a good position to ask Skoda UK for a goodwill contribution if things get expensive, but only if you do what the dealer recommends. If you don't have confidence in what Citygate are telling you, go to another Skoda dealer for a second opinion.

If there is also an oil feed problem to the top of the engine causing camshaft problems, then that needs diagnosing as well and you should be looking for a goodwill contribution for the repairs for that too. Good luck.

Had the dealer workshop manager on the phone telling me the recall was to do with gearbox oil and it wouldn't impact the engine in any way so its simply bad luck.

He told me the error code is P0016 camshaft position sensor fault - Bank 1 sensor A timing over issue.

Minor success - they agreed to do the investigation work free of charge and will tell me tomorrow what the exact cost / damage is.

If you have any input on the error code I'd be very grateful. Thanks for all your help

James

There is some discussion on VW forums of this fault code and it could be related to timing chain slippage. But whatever it is due to, it is good to hear that the investigation is being done FOC. Please let us know what transpires.

I have now been told that its £1,305 to repair - the timing chain has stretched and it needs a new timing chain and gaskets amongst others.

I'm still perplexed as to how this would have gone within 15 miles of the car going in for the recall but Skoda are saying its not connected and no goodwill. Seems I'm snookered.

James

Get the timing chain tensioner changed as well, and I have heard that the latest chain is less prone to stretching. At least the engine shouldn't be at risk of tensioner failure after the repair.

Thank you however I've lost confidence in the car. Still struggling with the concept that it has nothing to do with recall work despite happening within 10 miles of getting the car back....

Coincidences happen, I had my AC regassed on Tuesday. Less than 1 mile later one of the coilpacks failed. Nothing to do with the AC regass, its just one of those things. Mine is back in full health again after Audi replaced all 8 coilpacks for free (on a 10 year old 133K mile car).

If you have full service history ring Skoda UK and log a case with them.

I would be pushing for some goodwill payment from them since the timing chain is a non-service item and meant to last the life of the vehicle they should cough up!

This is a well known fault on these engines and there are many others in your position including a member having a battle with Skoda UK to pay.

Phil

Edited by Phil-E

Latest. Skoda customer services say no goodwill.

Garage advise against driving car to independent garage and said I should arrange transporter if I don't have repair done. Unsure if that is realistic or not but it leaves me a little snookered re getting 2nd opinion.

Citygate just called. They will look at whther they can give a discount on price.

I don't think you should use an independent garage in this case. Get the repair done by Citygate and you will have a 2 year warranty on the parts used. Additionally the work carried out should be warranted against faulty workmanship for a period of 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes the sooner.

I will echo what others have said, this is not connected to the recall work that has been done.... it is just bad luck / timing.

However in light of the full Škoda service history and low mileage there MUST be a case under the sale of goods act surely? as it is clearly not fit for purpose.

I have now escalated to Skoda UK who came back initially saying as FSH Skoda they would now consider goodwill without admitting liability and they stressed they believe it is unconnected to warranty work however they would pay for all but £200 of the cost. When I pointed out I'd been offroad for 2 weeks they agreed to pay everything. 

Now that is good customer service....after skoda customer service uk initially 2 weeks ago said no assistance.

Thank you for all contributors for your help.

James

An excellent result which should give hope to others in a similar position. So what have Skoda UK agreed to pay for? Timing chain tensioner and timing chain replacement?

you won't believe it but......

"I don’t have good news I am afraid, I have just had the technician who is repairing your vehicle come to me and inform me that we cannot complete the repairs today, This is down to a issue with the main timing cover which we are unable to refit. This will cause the vehicle to leak oil, this part is distorted and will not sit back flush,"

arggh...