Reverse parking sensor screen and Clutch

Hi,

Pardon me for asking these quick questions as I have just exchanged my 1.2 TSI hatch for a 1.6 TDI Estate Black Edition and I am finding few strange things.

Clutch

1. I have been driving 1.2 Hatch for 10 months and found the clutch very smooth however, I test drove two 1.6 TDI and found the clutch bit different. While changing few gears I found little bit vibration, creaking under my foot. I noticed the same thing with my brand new car too. One thing is for sure that all these cars cant be faulty. Has any body here experienced such thing?

Reverse Parking Sensors

2. In my 1.2 TSI, the reverse parking screen will appear once you engage the reverse gear and disappear once you take it off the reverse gear. However, on this car the screen will stay on for another 8 seconds after taking it out of the reverse gear. Doesn't this sound bit strange or is it normal. I understand there is a cross mark on top of the reverse screen to cancel it manually however shouldn't it switch back automatically and instantly?

Help on these two issues will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Saurabh

Only just got my car the clutch is different from my previous car but I'm not sure it's in a bad way. It's certainly heavier and also feels more engaging to use, I've not seen any vibration however, can you be any more specific about the problem? Sounds like it might be worth having the dealer take a look and see.

As to the parking sensors, this is a fairly common feature that it stays on. IIRC it stays on for the few seconds after disengaging reverse or until you hit 6kph (don't quote me on the actual figure as it's in the manual and that's the number stuck in my head). The reason being is that if your car rolls backwards as you try to move forward that it will warn you that you are getting closer to objects as you roll back. Obviously a non issue if the car has hill hold assist which is an amazing feature having tried it out a few times in the last few days.

Mine turns the reverse parking sensors off (and the screen) as soon as I disengage reverse (vRS TDI)

Thats what exactly my other Octavia (2013 1.2 SE Hatch) used to do. This one stays on no matter if you are in motion or not. Dealer says its normal as the car doesn't know if you have parked or not.

Thats what exactly my other Octavia (2013 1.2 SE Hatch) used to do. This one stays on no matter if you are in motion or not. Dealer says its normal as the car doesn't know if you have parked or not.

What does the the owners manual say?  Sounds like a useful feature to me anyway....

Mine turns the reverse parking sensors off (and the screen) as soon as I disengage reverse (vRS TDI)

Mine does the same, so maybe it's a new feature. I wouldn't accept what the dealer tells you is correct until you have read the manual, their product knowledge can be quite poor at times.

What does the the owners manual say?  Sounds like a useful feature to me anyway....

Here is the user manual.. Image one says our car has Version 1 sensors (rear sensors). Image 2 says "it deactivates automatically one the car hits 10kph", on other hand it says cars with version 1 can only be deactivated by moving out of reverse gear. I am confused now.

7926d520a12b3115fb81fd34fca9ecc5_zpsa430

2205ec75a8c13c37d0bc5aa5d5de14c9_zps4c3f

UPDATE!!

I have just tried and guess what!

The screen goes off right away once I hit 5-7 MPH (10 KPH). So it depends on me now if I want to do it in 2 secs or 8 secs.

Dealer just phoned me and booked the car in for inspection as he has checked other cars and they seem not to be doing this. He mentioned even the car is stationary the screen goes off the moment you disengage the reverse gear. Lets see what he comes up with on thursday.

To be honest I would prefer the behaviour you have now compared to the behaviour you had before for exactly the reason that Astec123 gave.

Just because you select 1st gear doesn't mean the car is not moving backwards.

I've had this same behaviour on all of my last cars.

Until the car is moving above 5 or 10kph the parking sensor information & beep is enabled.

• Like 1

For the clutch, there is always a difference between petrol & diesel which will take some time to get used to.

The diesel clutch usually feels much heavier, however, the benefit from the diesel is that you can manoeuvre much more easily by modulating the clutch pedal without the need to press the accelerator.

Edited by Gabbo
  • Like 1

To be honest I would prefer the behaviour you have now compared to the behaviour you had before for exactly the reason that Astec123 gave.

Just because you select 1st gear doesn't mean the car is not moving backwards.

I've had this same behaviour on all of my last cars.

Until the car is moving above 5 or 10kph the parking sensor information & beep is enabled.

Thats what I discovered from my findings and the user manual. However I fail to understand that how come my last octavia never did this and dealer tested few cars and mentioned this is bit strange.

Same here. 150 tdi (Amundsen)

...also in every other car ive ever been in only those with front sensors have retained the parking display whilst moving forward to a certain speed. Rears only have always cancelled as soon as taken out of reverse.

This is for recent BMW and VAG cars ive been in.

Thats what I discovered from my findings and the user manual. However I fail to understand that how come my last octavia never did this and dealer tested few cars and mentioned this is bit strange.

All of these features are configurable or can be controlled by the software/calibration flashed into each module in the car.

The change can be a updated feature introduced on the latest model year cars or perhaps the configuration of your car isn't correct (as pipsy suggested).

However, if the configuration is not correct (and front parking sensors are also configured) I would expect the dealer can find this easily because there should be a fault code that the front sensors aren't providing a signal.

Either way, I think I would want to keep the current functionality with the vehicle speed delay before the parking sensors are disabled.

• Like 1

Dunno if this helps but my VRS is a MY15 car and the rear parking sensor/screen will stay active for a few seconds after I disengage reverse gear (or engage 1st gear) so it may well be a change for MY15....

• Like 1

Dunno if this helps but my VRS is a MY15 car and the rear parking sensor/screen will stay active for a few seconds after I disengage reverse gear (or engage 1st gear) so it may well be a change for MY15....

Hi Chris,

thanks for the update. I was actually looking for some one with MY15. I understand once you start driving forward screen stays on until you hit 5-7 MPH.

Please can you do me a favour.

Please can you put the car in reverse and then neutral and then time it (when the screen goes off). My car stays on for around 8 seconds before it goes off.

I would request any member with MY15, if you could give me some numbers please.

Thanks

Hi Chris,

thanks for the update. I was actually looking for some one with MY15. I understand once you start driving forward screen stays on until you hit 5-7 MPH.

Please can you do me a favour.

Please can you put the car in reverse and then neutral and then time it (when the screen goes off). My car stays on for around 8 seconds before it goes off.

I would request any member with MY15, if you could give me some numbers please.

Thanks

I've just checked and the screen goes off when put back into neutral after around 8-10 seconds on my car

I've just checked and the screen goes off when put back into neutral after around 8-10 seconds on my car

That is so nice of you.

Thats exactly what my car does, 8-10 secs. Do you reckon its normal? My dealer wants to bring it in tomorrow to have it checked as according to his "its not normal". But now I dont trust what the dealer comes up with, there product knowledge is very poor.

Saurabh

• Like 1

I assume there's just been a software change on MY15 cars, even if it's not normal to be honest I park in a very tight work car park and the rear sensors staying on when I edge forward is useful so I don't clip anything when I pull out the space so I'll be leaving it as it is...

• Like 2

I assume there's just been a software change on MY15 cars, even if it's not normal to be honest I park in a very tight work car park and the rear sensors staying on when I edge forward is useful so I don't clip anything when I pull out the space so I'll be leaving it as it is...

That makes absolute sense. Initially I thought its a good idea too however started having double thoughts when the dealer said its not normal. I'll leave it as is too then. Now I am happy as its not just me.