Gun enthusiasts

Scribbler

Do we have any in the house?

I have just returned to shooting after about 20 years absence (plinking and pest control) I used to have a bsa meteor as a kid great starter rifle.

anyway myself and a friend have started going to the local gun club to do a bit of target shooting and I initially purchase a second hand BSA lightening XL Carbine, Which was ok for a springer. However my friend bought a Daystate Hunstman Regal (wow) and I was suitably impressed by the accuracy, low recoil and how quiet it was. Needless to say I subsequently upgraded to my own PCP (Pre charged Pneumatic ) a BSA R10 Mk2 which I am over the moon with.

Anyway im sure a few of you are thinking "that's not a proper gun" and have some hand cannon, Rim fire or sniper rifle that you would like to show off so post a pic below and a brief write about where and what you shoot etc.

I'd like to get into target shooting with an airgun.  Are PCP guns the way to go these days?

Yes I would say so, The only thing is you need to have a reliable source to fill up the Buddy Bottle / cylinder on the gun.

You can ask a gun shop to do it for you they normally charge a couple of quid. You can invest in a Stirrup Pump. These

are hard work in my experience to get the gun up to 200+ bar of pressure, good work out for the arms! But by far the best

solution is to buy a Divers Bottle and get it filled up at miners rescue. Mine has a 10 shot self loading magazine that has

bolt action mechanism. Its surprising how quickly you can get through a tin of ammo and a full bottle of air with a pcp.

My gun above is filled to 232 bar of pressure this is good for 200+ shots with 0.22 pellets after that it starts to loose accuracy

but still more accurate than a spring powered gun. Once empty you hook it up to the divers bottle (12litre) and refill it.

• Like 1

I recently upgraded from a Swish Army P92 and a FX Cyclone to a P88 and an AK5. Aside from the occasional contests to keep my skills up to date and a few rats I meet at the workshop, they're mostly locked away nowadays. 

I kinda miss the company and atmosphere of the local club to be honest. But oh well, rules are rules.

I'd like to get into target shooting with an airgun. Are PCP guns the way to go these days?

All depends on what you are doing with the gun - it is only time to time that I bother with my air rifle, usually when it is in a noise sensitive area.

I wouldn't say it is worth buying a pcp gun if you won't be using it once a week or more. Although I am sure now a days you can pick them up second hand for a good enough price.

The other reason I would choose a spring over a fancy pcp is there is less to go wrong with seals and mechanisms. I can fix the two spring air rifles I have, I wouldn't have a clue when it came to 200psi canisters!

Air rifles in general are great fun though, I think a lot of it is due to the single shot style, the patience needed to get that clear shot (if you're hunting that is). The only target shooting I do is to zero the sights :)

JRJG

Mainly shotgun shooting that I do.

On with the pigeons over standing and harvested wheat at the moment. Decoys and a hide. Crikey they are hard to hit compared to pheasants.

Would like to get some crow shooting next spring when the lambing starts, as that is some of the hardest shooting out there in terms of cunning and concealment.

I beat in the season at a few different estates and then get a beaters day (Where the beaters get to do the shooting) as well as a few 'mop up' days right at the end of the season.

Done a lot of squirrel shooting at work too (27 in total last year) as there are dozens of the buggers about stripping my freshly planted trees.

I shoot with an AYA Number 4 box lock, side by side gun.

Cracking gun, it has fired a good few thousand cartridges now anyway.

Do you go to any game fairs Scribbler?

JRJG

Thanks for all the info Scribbler and Jrjg.  Can either of you recommend a good quality spring loaded model that's worth buying?

I'd like a go at hunting but is an airgun suitable for this?  Ideally I'd like to hunt stuff for the pot so pigeons and rabbit for example.

Do you go to any game fairs Scribbler?

JRJG

No sorry, I don't know If I would fit in with the Wellington clad wax jacket brigade to be honest. Although I would like to go just to see what its like.

The extent of my hunting is a few carrier bags full of pigeons out of our factory once a year and luckily we have a friend who owns some land and he lets us

shoot the rats and rabbits that seem to have been breeding like crazy last year hundreds of them.

Mainly I target shoot at the club though and for this you can't beat the PCP accuracy wise. Another thing with the springer is that if your hunting the crack of

the spring even with a suppressor fitted sends all the bunnies running down the warren. With my PCP I can get two sat next to each other and they are

completely oblivious.

Post some pics of your guns so we can have a look, doesn't have to be your exact gun just find a stock image off google so we can see what It looks like.

Thanks for all the info Scribbler and Jrjg.  Can either of you recommend a good quality spring loaded model that's worth buying?

I'd like a go at hunting but is an airgun suitable for this?  Ideally I'd like to hunt stuff for the pot so pigeons and rabbit for example.

For hunting you want to dispatch the animal with as little suffering as possible so 0.22 calibre or 0.25 You want a rifle that's near the limit for FAC so 12ft lb of pressure. I preffer PCP as its regulated so every shots the same and quiet. This is why spring is not so good the noise will scare most stuff away, all but the stupidest pigeons and I wouldn't tackle anything larger than a Rabbit. With a PCP you can aim for and reliably hit the head, a springer at 25 yards + you will be lucky to hit anything other than the body. You can get GRT guns now which are a hybrid (gas ram technology) they are still break barrel like a springer but compress a gas inside a cylinder which fires the projectile.

Depends on what your budget is but I have used lots of guns so I can recommend a good start point.

• Like 1

I recently upgraded from a Swish Army P92 and a FX Cyclone to a P88 and an AK5. Aside from the occasional contests to keep my skills up to date and a few rats I meet at the workshop, they're mostly locked away nowadays. 

I kinda miss the company and atmosphere of the local club to be honest. But oh well, rules are rules.

FX Cyclone not very good? I like the look of them. Are the others soft air / bb type?

For hunting you want to dispatch the animal with as little suffering as possible so 0.22 calibre or 0.25 You want a rifle that's near the limit for FAC so 12ft lb of pressure. I preffer PCP as its regulated so every shots the same and quiet. This is why spring is not so good the noise will scare most stuff away, all but the stupidest pigeons and I wouldn't tackle anything larger than a Rabbit. With a PCP you can aim for and reliably hit the head, a springer at 25 yards + you will be lucky to hit anything other than the body. You can get GRT guns now which are a hybrid (gas ram technology) they are still break barrel like a springer but compress a gas inside a cylinder which fires the projectile.

Depends on what your budget is but I have used lots of guns so I can recommend a good start point.

I've checked a few websites and it looks like I'm not going to get much change out of £600 for even a gas ram rifle with a scope!

• Like 1

I used to shoot clays but now I only shoot at work. I have often thought about taking up target shooting for a giggle but I don't know of and decent ranges around here.

• Like 1

FX Cyclone not very good? I like the look of them. Are the others soft air / bb type?

Oh I'm very fond of the Cyclone, nothing wrong with it whatsoever. But why would I use a PCP when I can play with the big boys? The P88 is a rebranded Glock 17 and the AK5©, is a highly modified FN FNC. Swedish Armed Forces standard issue.

Edited by DaKKs_152

Yes, we'll slightly just getting into it. Have a few air soft bits but this is my first co2 powered .177

Live rounds wise sig 226 and G36 whilst in the states. Enjoyed it but rather expensive here.

post-15023-0-28147900-1406651300_thumb.jpg

I've checked a few websites and it looks like I'm not going to get much change out of £600 for even a gas ram rifle with a scope!

Well I would buy second hand and look at BSA lightening GRT XL its the gas ram version of what I had

and you could pic one up with a 3-9x 40 scope for £200 maybe less. New they are only £260 although that's without scope

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/252b2b9d94205c269662609/BSA+Lightning+XL+SE+GRT+-a-8-f-322+Carbine+Barrel/

Not sure what your looking at for £600 but my R10 mk2 was about that price. Lots of nice riffles can be had for sub £200.

and the good thing is unlike cars the good brands BSA, Daystate, Stayr etc. tend to hold their value and you can sell them

in a few years for nearly what you paid for them if you shop about.

Oh I'm very fond of the Cyclone, nothing wrong with it whatsoever. But why would I use a PCP when I can play with the big boys? The P88 is a rebranded Glock 17 and the AK5©, is a highly modified FN FNC. Swedish Armed Forces standard issue.

Ah sorry didn't notice you live in sweeden I guess your gun laws are a bit more relaxed than ours so you can shoot the big guns. Very nice! any pics?

I have 2 pcp's both bsa scorpions. One is a single shot .177 with a whitetail scope the other a 10 shot .22 with a more powerful accushot scope. Both have sound moderators. The .177 is better beyond 25m as it has a flatter trajectory and more penetration, the .22 better below as it has more stopping power IMO as the .177 tends to go straight through vermin at short range thereby wasting energy. One thing I'd recommend if you get a divers bottle is to make sure it's topped up before the certificated expiry date (IIRC its every 5 years) if you don't use it very often.

I used to shoot clays but now I only shoot at work. I have often thought about taking up target shooting for a giggle but I don't know of and decent ranges around here.

Like wise I've got some air guns smk19 webly nemises and some co2 6mm BB guns but quite fancy a shotgun licence for practical shotgun stuff

My "work" guns are quite nice though

Bennelli super nova shotgun

H&k g36k .556

Sig 2022 9mm

H&k aep (baton gun)

Quite fancy a spaz 12 just for practical shotgun stuff

Ah sorry didn't notice you live in sweeden I guess your gun laws are a bit more relaxed than ours so you can shoot the big guns. Very nice! any pics?

Our gun laws are pretty strict, but we are at a higher security level right now. I dont usually have my gun at home even though i'm licenced. Usually everything is locked away on base.

Don't have any pics right now, i'm at my sister house and i'm not bringing my gun anywhere near my nephew.

Like wise I've got some air guns smk19 webly nemises and some co2 6mm BB guns but quite fancy a shotgun licence for practical shotgun stuff

My "work" guns are quite nice though

Bennelli super nova shotgun

H&k g36k .556

Sig 2022 9mm

H&k aep (baton gun)

Quite fancy a spaz 12 just for practical shotgun stuff

G36k? That's the full length one isn't it? We use the 36C variant. What is the supernova used for? And I wish we could have the sigs instead of the 17, it's a rubbish pistol!

Spaz 12? Lol I only know what that is because of call of duty!

• Like 1

G36k? That's the full length one isn't it? We use the 36C variant. What is the supernova used for? And I wish we could have the sigs instead of the 17, it's a rubbish pistol!

Yes sorry typo on my behalf, we do have ks as well as 417s and AI rifles

The supernova is used for animal destruction, tyres and door hinges the latter two not particularly often but some times

To be honest we don't rate the sigs because of the two stage trigger, it doesn't help accuracy but they are built nicely

Also my mate has a magazine restricted welded stock spaz (meets the shotgun laws that way)

• Like 1

LOL I was thinking the exact same,

I'd love to see some of these guns, throw some pictures up guys. Im glad its not just me with a love of all things with a trigger. ;)

I have 2 pcp's both bsa scorpions. One is a single shot .177 with a whitetail scope the other a 10 shot .22 with a more powerful accushot scope. Both have sound moderators. The .177 is better beyond 25m as it has a flatter trajectory and more penetration, the .22 better below as it has more stopping power IMO as the .177 tends to go straight through vermin at short range thereby wasting energy. One thing I'd recommend if you get a divers bottle is to make sure it's topped up before the certificated expiry date (IIRC its every 5 years) if you don't use it very often.

Nice guns I was first going to get an ultra SE then I decided 60 shots wasn't enough so I was looking at getting scorpion with a tactical stock but then I saw my R10 at a good price (sub £600) with 2 year warranty ex demo so snapped their hand off. Would still consider getting a scorpion se as a second gun in .177 though lovely guns.

• Like 1