Fabia VRS lowering

I have recently bought a 61 plate vRS and looking to make it less "monster truck like". I am wanting to lower around about the 40mm mark, any suggestions as to which are best and also I want to stay away from the coilover route.

Also are there any step by step guide son how to lower as I can do it myself.

Many thanks

• Sponsor

If you're wanting to stay away from coilovers then it would need to be lowering springs or springs and shocks, may struggle to get a full 40mm drop on the VRS model without coilovers though.

Damian @ DPM Performance

I will have to have a closer look at what other people have done but I am really struggling to find a tutorial on how to lower the car myself.

Assuming you've got the right tools - First jack the car so all 4 wheels are off the ground 

Remove wheels

This was how i fitted my eibachs but it may not be the perfect or proper way to do it. Do this at your own risk!

Front

Using spring clamps - compress the spring until it becomes loose and can move around on the shock 

Undo the 3 ball joint bolts from the underside of wishbone

bj1_zps45b98b0e.png

Disconnect the steering arm joint 

1_zps9f0c856b.png

Disconnect the ARB drop link like so

IMG_0539_zps13716477.jpg

Unplug the ABS sensor wire and move out the way. pull the brake line out the way - it is secured the the damper with rubber grommets (can be seen in above pic) and iirc a small bracket - this is easy to do. 

Doing  the above steps allows the hub to be moved around while you are pulling the shock out from where it sits in the hub. 

At the back of the damper there is a big bolt securing the hub to the shock - this requires an 18mm socket and spline tool to undo. MAKE A NOTE ON HOW MUCH OF THE SHOCK PROTRUDES FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE HUB CLAMP then youve got a reference to the position it needs to be when you refit.

Now, its the difficult bit - 2 persons make this a lot easier. Where the hub clamps to the shock there is a gap at the back which needs opening up to allow the shock to slide out. With the correct leverage not a lot of force is needed to open it enough to free the shock. A friend pulling the shock up wile you open the hub clamp will make life easy.

Once the shock is out of the hub sleeve, its onto the top mount.

an allen key is needed to resist the shock from turning - this is the tool setup i used to undo the top bolt

IMG_0543_zps7ee6ed30.jpg

A spanner is needed to turn the socket, while reacting with the ratchet 

The shock can then be pulled from the car. 

To get the top mount off the same again needs to be done with the socket/spanner/ratchet

you can then do this

IMG_0544_zpsa12f4ba3.jpg

Now is a good time to put in replacement top mounts and bearings

Undo the spring clamps and your done. New springs on and refitting is the reverse of removal. 

The Back

This is dead easy and should take half an hour max

First, undo the lower bolt holding the shock to the rear axle. I used a jack raise the axle up so there was no weight on the bolt. 

IMG_0552_zps2ef793dd.jpg

do this on both sides then the axle will drop enough so the springs prety much fall out. 

Heres the rear spring top mount 

IMG_0555_zpsf68a854d.jpg

Refitting it the reverse of removal. 

There are many ways to do this some better than others. 

IMO - there was no problem doing it the way i have.

Also sorry about there not being step by step pictures and more detailed pics/explanations but it was a while ago i did this now and forgot to take more pictures when i was doing it - my mind was on getting the job done and not farting around.

I hope this helps a bit for you - questions will be more than welcome - a hand if really needed (and your not to far away) :)

Thanks for the 'how to' guide. It seems pretty similar to my old corsa VXR. I shall get some springs ordered and fit myself. I am going ot order the ARB and do it all at the same time.