Good Yeti alternative from VW?

kibby

Had a good look round a VW Golf SV (Sports Van in Europe) and very impressed.

It is a tad bigger overall than a Yeti and comes with a substantially bigger boot with a real  (125 not 195)

skinny spare wheel as the Yeti that doesn't take away space from the usable boot area.

It has a clever, easily adjusted 2 level floor (with the spare still in place). At position 1 it is about 3" below the

lip of the boot and at position 2 it is level with the lip. More available boot height than a Yeti and wider.

It means we can get 2 levels of bags in compared with 1 and  bits and pieces on top. (official figs are 500-590 litres

(with rear seat adjusted) and 1520 litres if rear seats folded.

No intruding wheel arches too.

Inside cabin is classy with seats larger overall than a Yeti and very comfy (SE model). Dash looks a bit more stylish

Jumbo box (arm rest/storage box) does not intrude into the rear seat footwell area like the Yeti.

Nice high seating position and more window viewing area behind the driver.

Odd that Dual climate A/C is £410 extra on all models bul not an issue with us as rarely adjust on Yeti.

A big plus a large engine choice at all trim levels including ability to add DSG to all but the lowest spec petrol.

(Take note Skoda).

SE model comes with cheaper to buy 215/55/16 tyes, 17" on the GT. 

Economy levels for all engines seems to be a lot better than Yeti equivalents (latest generation engine, Blue Motion etc)

Negatives.....Would prefer not to have an electronic handbrake. Engine power in 1.4Tsi goes from 110 to 125 to 150

as you spec up from S to SE to GT models and can't be changed but could be perceived a benefit.

Notice VW cars only come with 1 yr Roadside assistance but only costs me £20 exta to cover 2 cars anyhow.

No 4X4 options, again not affecting us but a deal breaker for some.(Not aimed at that market).

Front view, you view the headlining a bit if you have the seat adjusted fairly high (windscreen a touch more raked than a

Yeti), but probable aids economy.

We like the 1.4Tsi SE DSG at £22995 RRP and with 1 yr additional warranty at £205, 2yr (5 in total) at £490.with service plan at £288 2yrs and additional years pro-rata seems to be a very good deal. Road tax £110.

Seems like it's our next vehicle assuming the reliability holds up with the new generation everything.

Factory orders currently at 3-4 months. Test drive soon.

Edited by kibby
  • Like 2

No 4WD though, so only really a competitor to a 2WD Yeti. Shame, otherwise I might be interested. Don't be too hasty in condemning the 'electronic' handbrake. I suspect that once you were used to it then you'd wonder how you ever managed with the old-fashioned mechanical type - just a question of making the transition. I've tried something similar on a Q3 and even on a 1-hour test drive it's almost become second nature by the end. Bet that Yeti 2 has the electronic type.

The other downside of the GSV (for me) is that there are no more powerful engine options - no 211PS petrol or CR170 (or CR181 or whatever it is in the regular Golf 7) diesel.

It's exactly because it's 2WD only that it's got a better layout in the back.

The Yeti is compromised by the shell having to take a 2WD and 4WD drivetrain, so on the 2WD version you have empty space under the back.

Hence a smaller boot and less space with the spare wheel in.

I think it's also a newer car with newer tech.

People often forget the Yeti is five years old now and was actually designed using a lot of mk5 Golf stuff.

It's exactly because it's 2WD only that it's got a better layout in the back.

Agreed, though there are 4WD Golf-based derivatives like the Golf R, not that I've ever seen inside one to check out what impact inside this has.

Don't be too hasty in condemning the 'electronic' handbrake. I suspect that once you were used to it then you'd wonder how you ever managed with the old-fashioned mechanical type - just a question of making the transition.

My last car (Merc) had an electronic handbrake and while it is very easy to get used to you are relying on the car setting it properly.  Once day I came down the stairs at home to see my car rolling backwards off the drive and across the road.  Luckily there was no-one parked opposite at the time.  I took it into Merc the next day and they simply said that you shouldn't rely on the handbrake and should park in gear like the handbook says to...  I've never had a manual handbrake let me down.

As for the Golf SV.  Just a very lazily designed Golf Plus replacement and looks like one of the dullest cars I have ever seen.  Comparing it to a Yeti doesn't really make sense as apart from rough dimensions they're not competitors as the Golf SV isn't a crossover.

Cheers

Rog

No necessarily a direct competitor but provided you can forgo the 4x4 bit it is a good choice as it builds on the Yeti

spacewise in a similar vein without turning into an oversized monster. It also provides this without going into £30k

land which a lot of bigger alternatives do.

All VW cars are conservatively styled which I kind of like. Have been in cars that assume style is all weird angles

and added chrome bling that looks naff! but that's only my opinion.

A lot of the racier styling types sometimes ignore the practicalities. A lot of cars we tried maybe more stylish

but for example can't fit a 6 footer in unless you are prepared to permanently crook your neck or have unusable boots.

For us has to be practical (older generation, ease of access etc) first. Have moved away from Honda's  as they seem to

have lost the plot with styling taking priority over practicalities....can't fit into most Honda's apart from a CRV.

Edited by kibby

Agreed, though there are 4WD Golf-based derivatives like the Golf R, not that I've ever seen inside one to check out what impact inside this has.

Significant.

• Like 1

Quote from another forum backs up my assessment of that btw...

'Stopped by an Audi dealer yesterday to look at the S3,and had a look in the boot. The floor was a few inches higher than the equivalent 2WD A3 and the same space saver used in the A3/GTI/R was in there, with polystyrene spacer blocks around it to support the rigid carpet panel and house the jack, etc.'

So yes, same loss of space as on PQ35. 

Well, apart from it being .... "Just a very lazily designed Golf Plus replacement and looks like one of the dullest cars I have ever seen.".... according to rriggs opinion, at least, I thank the OP for bringing it to attention.

Might not appeal to the majority of Yeti-ists but, as noted, it might fit the bill for those of us who only have - and need - 2WD and who might appreciate the extra boot space etc.  I'll have a look at one when passing the dealer.  Thanks.  Oh, and just as a matter of opinion, I think I've probably seen "duller" looking cars over time...indeed, have probably had a few myself (I had three Maestros and a 1970 Mark VII Singer Gazelle 1500...and they could possibly be called marginally dull looking).

Edited by oldstan

Maybe the Roomster comes in different versions north of the great divide....can't see the connection with the one I'm familiar with.

Edited by oldstan

You lot really REALLY don't like this thing, do you?

I feel a bit sorry for kibby - I bet he wished he'd never mentioned it.

Sometimes it seems that if it ain't got "Yeti" on the back it's the spawn of the Devil.  (Or in Graham's case Yeti or Freelander).

Edited by oldstan
  • Like 4

You lot really REALLY don't like this thing, do you?

I feel a bit sorry for kibby - I bet he wished he'd never mentioned it.

Sometimes it seems that if it ain't got "Yeti" on the back it's the spawn of the Devil.  (Or in Graham's case Yeti or Freelander).

I wonder how his post would have been received elsewhere than in the Yeti section-model specific forums will always be populated by those who have chosen them, so neither sorry nor surprised here!

Comparing the Golf SV and the Yeti is like comparing a Ford C-Max with a Toyota RAV 4.  They're just not direct competitors. 

I said it was lazy design because it is.  VW play too much on the "it's like a Golf" marketing and simply never take a risk.  Missed opportunity again IMO.

Cheers

Rog

Comparing the Golf SV and the Yeti is like comparing a Ford C-Max with a Toyota RAV 4.  They're just not direct competitors. 

Don't agree I'm afraid. I'd say comparing a Golf SV and 2WD Yeti is perfectly valid. They're both models likely to appeal to someone looking for a relatively conservative, hatch-sized car with a somewhat elevated driving position, especially someone looking for something from the VW stable with eg DSG.

• Like 1

Raised the topic because we get quite a lot of posts along the lines of "if only the Yeti had"

Examples being, More engine choice, DSG's attached to other engines. bigger boot etc etc.

The one thing about this forum you can express a point of view generally without friction.

Sorry for any ruffled feathers, not intended. I also know it is not a direct competitor only providing something

similar, but a tad bigger in 2WD form.

Not worried about not being only a Yeti enthuasiast who can't accept other makes/models. 

If I find something better suited to my needs I'll go for it.

Just spotted tyres 215/55/16 (V rated, not sure if this is official rating) on SE (Kwikfit) average £110 for the main

brands (Michelin, Dunlop, Goodyear, Pirelli) which saves £40 a tyre on the 225/55/17 on the Yeti.

Edited by kibby
  • Like 1

Raised the topic because we get quite a lot of posts along the lines of "if only the Yeti had"

Examples being, More engine choice, DSG's attached to other engines. bigger boot etc etc.

The one thing about this forum you can express a point of view generally without friction.

Sorry for any ruffled feathers, not intended. I also know it is not a direct competitor only providing something

similar, but a tad bigger in 2WD form.

Not worried about not being only a Yeti enthuasiast who can't accept other makes/models. 

If I find something better suited to my needs I'll go for it.

Just spotted tyres 215/55/16 (V rated, not sure if this is official rating) on SE (Kwikfit) average £110 for the main

brands (Michelin, Dunlop, Goodyear, Pirelli) which saves £40 a tyre on the 225/55/17 on the Yeti.

Don't be sorry mate ...nobody else is.

I say again, I'll look at one, having had it drawn to my attention, for all the reason you've given and if it took my fancy I'd have one, irrespective of whether it can tow a tin shed or has fog light (which I've NEVER used) ....the Yeti is three and a bit years old so my spare pound notes are getting impatient and, to be honest, I think I quite fancy one....probably a 1.4 SE DSG with paint and a few odd bits and pieces.   Mmmmm - nice.

I have no issue with cars other than Yetis (I've only had mine a month and have had over 40 different cars in the last 20 years so hardly a died in the wool Yeti fan) but really don't see a good comparison between the two. More so, it's not the comparison that irks me (or the OP who is just pointing out the car) it's VW and other manus who are unoriginal and a bit lazy.

Didn't mean to detract from the points the OP was trying to make!

Cheers

Rog

Not a competitor in strict terms (but a competitor for my money) but if you are an 'oldy' that appreciates the higher

seating (both front seats height adjustable), easy to get in and out and would like a bigger boot without the need to

go a step bigger still at a reasonable premium to a Yeti, this is very worthy of consideration (obviously without the

need for a 4wd system).

The other benefits are latest generation almost everything with economy benefits, more choice engines/gearbox,

better fuel consumption, £0 to £110 road tax, more mainstream cheaper tyres.

I can live with fog lights being an option as well as parking sensors and Dual climate control as this is what

tends to happens when you go from the likes of Skoda to VW. (encourage you to add on the high margin extra's

while looking cheaper for the standard spec).

You get Adaptive Cruise Control, and City Braking (puts the brakes on in city driving if someone in front stops

suddenly) which sounds good to me. Even the Jumbo box doesn't intrude into the rear footwell.

Edited by kibby
  • Like 1

Re fog lights.

I was surprised that in SE spec it came without them whereas most Skoda's at that spec included them.

I was also disappointed to find that I could see no towing specs anywhere on the "Configurator" whereas other manufacturers do include that info. It may not be important to others but to me it is.

I do like the fact that it comes on 16" wheels!! 

Graham....

Towing info from Brochure assuming this is the info you require. (a selection of engines)

Braked 12% incline (KGS)..Trailer load limits.

manual/DSG

1.2 TSI 110PS 1300, 1.4TSI 150PS 1500, 1.6TDI 110PS 1500, 2.0TDI 150PS 1600

Unbraked

1.2TSI 110PS 660, 1.4TSI 150PS 690, 1.6TDI 110 710, 2.0TDI 150PS 730

Towbar load limit 80 all engines.

Typical that the VW Configurator and Brochure prices for options are different (not a lot but different)

...maybe done by same team as Skoda!! LOL.

Edited by kibby

Took a quick look at this to double-check that we'd made the right decision buying the Yeti a few months back.  No problems.  The wife chose the Yeti for its looks (and the driving position), and I reluctantly agreed at the time, with mixed feelings.  Having got it, I'm amazed at how good it is.

And the VW Golf SV?  Sorry - just boring.  And I say that after half a lifetime of Golf ownership!