Good Yeti alternative from VW?

kibby

BUT...... could you get 5 pallets in??....

Hmmm - I still think you might well get a sixth in there.  Slide it in between fourth and fifth, and the top one would be lifted to tuck inside the head of the hatch :wonder: . 

Recently phoned 4 VW Main Dealers and asked them to get in touch with details of any SV's  they have coming in or in their system

and suprise, suprise none have bothered to give me a ring back.

Seems like it's not only Skoda who have a patchy dealer network.

Just read about the new BMW 2 series "Active Tourer" which is also similar... Except the options cost even more. But then these are all more Scenic / CMax alternatives IMHO...

Yup and here is the comparative test of this new FWD BMW 2 series - but really only a Kia Carens copy (I kid you not) - vs the Golf SV test:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/comparison-bmw-2-series-active-tourer-vs-volkswagen-golf-sv

2013-Kia-Carens1.jpg

2014_bmw_2_series_active_tourer_overseas

kia-carens-photo-477253-s-1280x782.jpg

BMW+2+Series+Active+Tourer+Geneva+2014+P

paris-2012-kia-carens-compact-mpv-live-p

2016-bmw-2-series-active-tourer-side-vie

And the Carens came to market a LONG time before the BMW sadly...  such a blatant copy.

Anyway...  but back OT: the VW SV wins the test though to my eyes both the BMW and the SV are extremely ugly MPV things. 

• Like 2

Seems the SV has a 125 spare (a real skinny rather than just a bit skinny) compared with the Yeti's 195.

Hence you do not loose the height as per Yeti and it comes as standard. Why on earth didn't Skoda adopt

this logic on the Yeti.?? increasing the boot height by 70mm??

In simple terms the boot is about 40mm wider (wheelarch to wheelarch) 50mm minimum deeper front to back

and about 100mm higher to the parcel shelf with floor at it's lowest level.

Edited by kibby

• 3 weeks later...

I went and had a good sit in and play with an SV today. I actually really liked it. Obviously very dull on the outside, but inside I liked it. Ergonomics were excellent. Good legroom in the rear with the drivers seat all the way back. Good rear headroom too. In fact, I was able to sit in the back with the drivers seat all the way down and all the way back just fine and I'm 6'7". Much more rear legroom than in the Sharan I also had a look at.

The boot space was pretty good too considering it had a spacesaver spare in place.

I'd certainly consider one in the future. That said, it's the Golf R estate I'm more interested in.

Obviously very dull on the outside...

Yes, very plain and conservative isn't it? Not enough to put me off totally, but shame that there wasn't slightly more inspiration to the styling. Nothing too wrong with plain, but this one looks so slab-sided from pictures (not seen one in the flesh as yet).

I'd certainly consider one in the future.

Me too. What I'd want though would be (a) 4WD and ( B) a more powerful engine option - nothing too over-the-top but eg 180ish petrol or diesel. I'm not sure it will ever happen, even as an eventual evolution of the initial SV (not even sure that the SV has been designed to accept 4WD in principle?), and it does worry me slightly that so many newer cars don't seem to have a higher-powered option - is it the manufacturers trying to limit their future average CO2?

Edited by prodata

Going to jump ship and go with a Golf SV.

Will probably take the safe option of a 5 year warranty as still have niggling doubts about

Tsi and DSG longer term reliability outside the standard 3 year warranty.

Our Yeti was a hard act to follow (discounted many) but I think the SV will be a better fit for our

future requirements.

The F/L was not enough to tempt us and the Yeti 2 is too far away and could morph into a

completety different animal.

Will MISS THIS FORUM as it is the best forum I have come across in no small measure due

to the great bunch of folk who make it such a delight to visit.

Many thanks to you all for sharing and engaging...Much appreciated.

If only Skoda Customer Care was as knowledgable.

Any suggestions for a VW forum??  Polite suggestions please LOL!!!

Will pop back now and again if I can't break the habit!!

Best Wishes and long may the forum continue.

Kibby.

Edited by kibby

Any suggestions for a VW forum??

briskoda.net octavia 3 section  :thumbup: 

Same MQB platform (and identical wheelbase to Octavia 3 too), same engines, same potential problems. 

Going to jump ship and go with a Golf SV...........

......Will pop back now and again if I can't break the habit!!

Best Wishes and long may the forum continue.

Kibby.

Good wishes for you and yours and your new purchase.

I for one would be very pleased to hear of your experiences with the new VW and I'm very sure you would be welcomed back whenever you popped back.

All the best.

Edited by oldstan

Spec 1.4Tsi SE DSG (125 power)....Probably add just Parking Sensors front and rear and the usual mudflaps, mats and boot liner

+  3 yr service plan, 5 year warranty.

Feels like a good overall spec if HID lights and Fogs (options on SE)  are not an issue, compensated by

Adaptive Cruise Control including City breaking and speed limiter. Apart from larger boot, the cabin

is really nice with bags more comfort and stretch space.

Just feels a different class to the Yeti.

The GT has the missing items including Leather/Alcantara seats but didn't want the potential hassle of a large panoramic roof. 

Has lots of nice touches including self supporting bonnet, larger than Yeti seats, under seat storage and height adjustment, lumber supports, innovative larger boot, nice ICE system with DAB etc.

Will post back when we get  it and get to know it..

Edited by kibby

I see that Drive theDeal is lnocking £3.5k off the 1.4 DSG SE if bought on the PCP thingy (that I never know is a good thing or a bad thing).

Broker4cars knocks less off and Carfile don't publish their prices now.  Orange Wheels and Car Wow might be good...but, again, I think you have to register or at least get yourself on their email list, and I've chosen not do that up to now.

If I did get shot of the Yeti I would, like yourself, go for the 1.4 DSG SE with the same parking sensors, flaps and service and warraty plans.  Haven't compared that sort of spec to a similarly specced Yeti...would imagine they'd be similarish?

Spec 1.4Tsi SE DSG (125 power)...

The GT has the missing items including Leather/Alcantara seats but didn't want the potential hassle of a large panoramic roof. 

Has lots of nice touches including self supporting bonnet, larger than Yeti seats, under seat storage and height adjustment, lumber supports, innovative larger boot etc.

What do you mean by 'didn't want the potential hassle of a large panoramic roof'? Best feature IMO but its optional so you'd have to spec it in the first place to be worried any hassle with it.

I looked at both an SE and a GT SV - nice motor, very nice build and definitely better materials than the Yeti in a number of places however my Yeti has under seat storage, height adjustment and lumbar as wel as a far more flexible rear cabin arrangements hat the SV couldn't compete with (the seats only slide and recline, there no option to remove them sadly). Equipment was pretty good IMO and I liked the looks - personally I think its quite colour sensitive as to just how dull it looks as an overall design. Salesman was next to useless in terms of product knowledge but I've come to expect this from VW now. :( Good luck with the new car, I'm looking forward to a test drive next weekend. :)

Arn't most Car Salemen lacking in product knowledge!

Amazing how many I've come across have to look in the brochure or assume because

thats what they think it is, it must be right, only to be corrected which tends to upset them

no end. Upsets me when you walk in a showroom looking seriously interested with

umpteen bodies scurrying about and you are ignored or don't return a call.

The issue for me (maybe irrational) is the potential for showers of glass in a serious accident

and the potential for creaks, rattles and leaks. Also you generally loose a bit of headroom which

is an issue for me.

Edited by kibby

Sure you were looking in the right place? Golf SV seems to run at 9-10% discount on, depending on model as far as I can see.

Ah...   You are, of course, right in your observation there.

For years they've published prices openly but I was so sure that for a time, in the relatively recent past, they made you sign up to get a quote.   But, I could be mistaken.

As we all know Carfile have been going since the 'Old King' died and was, as I recall, run by the father of the current man.  I feel as though I could trust them implicitly.  But I could be wrong :-)

Thanks for putting me right there.

Edited by oldstan

The issue for me (maybe irrational) is the potential for showers of glass in a serious accident

and the potential for creaks, rattles and leaks. Also you generally loose a bit of headroom which

is an issue for me.

Ak ok, I thought you were suggesting it was standard on the GT spec cars and something you'd have to be concerned about if you went for a GT. :)

Not seen GT in the flesh, must have mis-understood Dealer as thought he said it was standard on GT,

stand corrected.

Thank you.

GT has fogs, dark glass behind B pillar, Sat nav, powered door mirrors, Park Sensors frt & rear, 17" Alloys,

Alcantara/Cloth seats and a bit of bling.

Edited by kibby

Not seen GT in the flesh, must have mis-understood Dealer as thought he said it was standard on GT,

stand corrected.

Thank you.

GT has fogs, dark glass behind B pillar, Sat nav, powered door mirrors, Park Sensors frt & rear, 17" Alloys,

Alcantara/Cloth seats and a bit of bling.

it also lots of nice touches throughout though ie the ambient cabin and footwell lighting, chrome trim around vents etc, gloss black trim panels, smarter rear tail lamp design etc - makes it feel a little further upmarket :)