Creaky Suspension driving me nuts!

Hi all,

I've come here looking for advice on this issue. As the title suggests, my front suspension is creaky. Really creaky. Even going over the smallest, gentlest hump in the road makes the suspension creak and squeal like a dog's chew toy. I get quite self concious creaking my way around, creating an iriitating racket as I pass. It has especially got worse in the warm weather we've been having, making my driving experience far from relaxing. I turn on the radio (or the excellent in built six CD changer) to escape the noise, but piling noise on top of noise doesn't solve the issue.The noise in so far I've researched could come from a number of sources, either the ARB, the mounts, the dampers, etc. Bearing in mind, the Octavia L&K has done nearly 149000 miles, and I believe none of the suspension components have been replaced recently. I've reached my tether, and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this, and what ways are there to fix the problem. As its an L&K, would it require separate dampers to standard models? This car truly 'wafts' along, and has a very soft springs. I'm no mechanic, and the idea of replacing the whole suspension unit is daunting, and will have to save up for the work to be carried out.

Thanks

I'm 99% sure the problem is your lower wishbone rubber bushes - and the final 1% could be the ARB rubber bushes.

Mine went the same way as yours - squeaking at first, and then finally a lot of knocking over bumps. I've just had the arms replaced yesterday, with Lemforder replacements - and I now have a silent, magic carpet ride again.

• Like 1

I've got similar noise problem problem but mine is my arb bushes I believe! it got so embarrassing I got under my car and sprayed them with wd40 and it sorted it for about 6 weeks so going to replace them wen I get time.

As the previous responses suggest, almost certainly lower wishbone bushes. Since the L&K has different ARB links to the vRS (which has unique to model links) I don't think it's the ARB.

Try lubricating the wishbone bushes with WD40 (or Duckoil if you prefer that), or indeed a few drops of old brake fluid.

• Like 1

I'm 99% sure the problem is your lower wishbone rubber bushes - and the final 1% could be the ARB rubber bushes.

Mine went the same way as yours - squeaking at first, and then finally a lot of knocking over bumps. I've just had the arms replaced yesterday, with Lemforder replacements - and I now have a silent, magic carpet ride again.

Hmm could be as you say...but also it could be the other way around

Generally , and I say generally most creaking is front anti roll bar as when it either dry's up from grease or the plastic sleeves start breaking up and the ARB is either grinding in the broken sleeves or the worn bushes are not supporting the ARB tight enough. This noise is amplified through the car and can be quite loud in some cases.

to OP

Best bet is get someone to bounce the car up and down and listen or jack car up and inspect the ARB for broken sleeves.

That would be my first check

Then yes other parts could effect noise like wishbone bushes , suspension top mounts.

If is a case of elimination.

Replacing suspension is pretty simple on these cars and not a major job TBH and if you have not done this or do not know when the suspension was changed then  a number of your suspension component to do with a refresh anyway.

• 5 years later...
On 29/07/2014 at 17:16, octestatlad said:

Hi all,

I've come here looking for advice on this issue. As the title suggests, my front suspension is creaky. Really creaky. Even going over the smallest, gentlest hump in the road makes the suspension creak and squeal like a dog's chew toy. I get quite self concious creaking my way around, creating an iriitating racket as I pass. It has especially got worse in the warm weather we've been having, making my driving experience far from relaxing. I turn on the radio (or the excellent in built six CD changer) to escape the noise, but piling noise on top of noise doesn't solve the issue.The noise in so far I've researched could come from a number of sources, either the ARB, the mounts, the dampers, etc. Bearing in mind, the Octavia L&K has done nearly 149000 miles, and I believe none of the suspension components have been replaced recently. I've reached my tether, and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this, and what ways are there to fix the problem. As its an L&K, would it require separate dampers to standard models? This car truly 'wafts' along, and has a very soft springs. I'm no mechanic, and the idea of replacing the whole suspension unit is daunting, and will have to save up for the work to be carried out.

Thanks

Hi I have replaced the ARBs and still have the creak ,so I had the wishbones and bottom ball joints replaced as well but it still creaks , I absolutely love the car but it is driving me crazy.

'02 TDI estate with 146k here and have been inclined to creaking for the last year.  ( nothing to suggest,  just posting as I cant figure out how to follow the thread otherwise )

6 minutes ago, olddog said:

'02 TDI estate with 146k here and have been inclined to creaking for the last year.  ( nothing to suggest,  just posting as I cant figure out how to follow the thread otherwise )

It’s driving me nuts

I dont doubt it.  FWIW ( and a kind of double negative ... ) I few years ago I replaced the ARB bushings due to 'clunking' ( note not 'creaking' ).  'Clunking' was cured, so I'm inclined to think creaking probably not due to ARB bushings.  I'm on original ( i.e. 18 year old ) struts etc etc - what chance thats implicated ?

On 13/07/2020 at 19:21, Milk said:

It’s driving me nuts

Which model octavia do you own?, when you replaced the roll bars, did they have plastic sleeves on or not?, also what diameter bushes did you fit to the clamps?.

I’m not sure if they had plastic sleeves or not as I didn’t fit them myself, but today I loosened the bolts and sprayed them with copper grease which seems to have stopped the creaking, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the reply Mike.

Using Copper grease on them will only really render a temporary cure as it will actually cause the bar to wear the bush quicker, better to use a lithium based grease.

The creaking is normally caused by the plastic sleeve being clamped by the bush, but being allowed to move on the rollbar itself. The cure in that stuation is to break off the sleeve and fit a smaller roll bar bush, hence my questions on roll bar size and what actual model of octavia you have as each are different.