Boot opening when reverse gear selected

Strange one here.

For the last 2 weeks when I sometimes engage reverse gear the boot pops open on my 58 plate Superb Elegance. This is only the first stage obviously. Probably happening 80% of the time.

Has anyone ever seen this happen on their car? I am assuming its an electrical fault when the reversing lights come on but some advice would be appreciated.

Usually i get the 11 year to get out and shut it and park by reversing in when on my own but its getting a little tiring now!

Hi,

All the wires to the boot lid (reverse lights, boot release, rear fogs etc.) go through the hollow l/h boot lid support. 

Every time the saloon boot is opened these are flexed, probably too much, the design is poor.

Over time the insulation on a few wires will break and later, eventually, the wire itself.

You have two wires that are now shorting out.

There are 10 wires in this piece of loom, they can be cut out and replaced. It won't go away by itself, unfortunately. A Briskoda member has done a guide with pictures, haven't got the link atm. All the internal trims come off the hatch and boot for access. Then crimp or solder new wires in place, space is a bit tight in there.

Your boot release will stop working completely when that wire breaks. There is a description of how to open the boot in an emergency in the manual, but, you have to get in to the back of the lock via the rear seats after folding them down. Best get it fixed before then, and/or familiarise yourself with it while the boot still opens as it's easier to find the 'access slit' shown in the book when it's still working.

HTH.

Edited by CombatWombat