Osram Xenarc Nightbreaker Unlimited Xenon (D1S) bulbs

muddyboots

Afternoon all...

Back in 2011 there was some mention of their predecessor (Xenarc Silverstar) in this thread, but this sounds like a newer model that claims "up to 70% more light" than a standard D1S.

Certainly not cheap (about £70/bulb), but I like the idea of the additional range when on full beam during winter nights on rural roads.

Has anyone tried them ?

Osram data here

However, if you compare the specs of the "Xenarc Nightbreaker Unlimited" with the "Xenarc Original", the data sheets state exactly the same luminous flux, lifetime and colour temperatures for both models...

I wonder if that's a mistake on the website ?

Does anyone know what make of D1S bulb Skoda fit as standard to the Yeti ?

In case anyone is interested, I contacted Osram to find out how the uprated bulb could be up to 70% brighter, when luminous flux, lifetime and colour are same as their OE version.

Reply:

The parameters such as light output are controlled by the ECE regulations, so although we can bias the output to the top of the specification, we still have to comply with the standard.

The increased beam performance of the Night Breaker Unlimited is achieved by special controls on the arc that generates the light.

The actual increase in illumination is dependent on the headlight, but can be up to 70% more light on the road and up to 20 metre longer beam.

So it sounds more better focussing is what makes the difference, and that is dependent on the actual headlight.

Lot of money to find out how well they perform on a Yeti...especially as I still haven't driven in the dark with the OE ones yet

• 2 months later...

Well, I took the plunge and have just bought a pair of these. Will hopefully get them fitted in next few days, to see how much improvement they give.

I bought them from Powerbulbs.

They are offering 20% off (if you buy 2 or more bulbs) at the moment, so were the cheapest I could find for a pair (from a reputable seller - too much risk of Chinese fakes via Ebay IMHO)

Plus you can get 10% cashback via Quidco.

Not many reviews of them about yet, so I know it's a bit of a risk whether they offer much improvement or not.

But this review is encouraging at least:

http://www.r32oc.com/topic/90762-review-of-osram-xenarc-night-breaker-unlimited-d2s-xenon-lamps/

And to answer my original post - the OE bulbs fitted in my Yeti are Osram Xenarcs.

Looking at the Osram link in your first post, the standard xenarcs have a 4 year guarantee, the xenarc nightbreakers appear to not to have this guarantee.

Looking at the Osram link in your first post, the standard xenarcs have a 4 year guarantee, the xenarc nightbreakers appear to not to have this guarantee.

Lifespan data is the same though, Tc value of 3000 hours.

I bought them from Powerbulbs.

They are offering 20% off (if you buy 2 or more bulbs) at the moment, so were the cheapest I could find for a pair (from a reputable seller - too much risk of Chinese fakes via Ebay IMHO)

Plus you can get 10% cashback via Quidco.

Just looked in the box, there's a leaflet with a 10% discount code for future orders through Powerbulbs: LOYALTYPB

Might not work in conjunction with other discounts, but you never know. Seems rude not to share it ;)

• Like 2

Fitted them today...

Will see how they perform over next few days when I drive in darkness. From what I've read elsewhere, it may take a good few hours of use for them to settle at the right colour temp / brightness.

So , muddyboots, any first impressions on the Xenarcs? As you can tell I'm getting itchy fingers but would love to hear your initial experience with them before ordering...

Well....they are brighter than the OE bulbs.

Unfortunately, as it was 3 or 4 days between driving in the dark with old and new bulbs, it's difficult to quantify by how much...and I haven't got any means of taking any meaningful before/after photos.

What I do notice is improved illumination of the verges, the nearside especially.

Illumination of the road on dipped beam is brighter, although because HIDs cut off the light beam so abruptly, there's no real additional range (no bulb would change that).

Colour looks same as it did previously.

• 1 year later...