insurance renewal

Now I had a big heavy slate fall off my roof and hit my car in the winter storms.... this cost £1500 to repair, I was dreading renewal time, as I knew they would sting me, as its classed as a fault accident..... surely enough my insurance has gone up from £500 to £1000 (aproximations) , damn, I dont make enough money as a driving instructor to (part time) to justify that, I would LOOSE money overall :( I thought I would have to give it up, and take out a "normal" modified insurance premium, as this would be much cheaper, seeing as there are only 2 companies I know of that will insure my car and circumstances, and only one that will let me mod it :(

BUT JOY! llyods latchford have come up trumps again (like they did with my eunos classic car insurance for £18 a month!) and found ANOTHER company that will insure me :) cost? £500! halof the price! wow.

I have just been checking all the forms, and under mods it says "roll bars" - now I only have the H&R RARB.... so I rang them uo, and said, "does the term roll bars mean I can put a front one on at no extra cost?" I'll check he says....

a few minutes later... ' do you mean the roll bars that go on underneath the vehical?' yes - I say , ' certainly then, no extra cost, you can fit the front one too '

:o can't catch my breath , seems this new company is even more mod friendly than the old one! :)

next thing for "phantom" is an H&R FRONT anti roll bar :)

Shark.

• Like 2

I have my car with Highway - organised through CKI on here.

They were very friendly on mods also, the above shows that it is worth asking the question as most companies seem to put a blanket cost against lowering up to 50mm or lowering more than 50mm.  No interested in whether that is springs only, full suspension kit or coilovers.

Same for Uprated Front Brakes (can be any)

Intake was only an admin charge previously with Admiral.

Take care with roll bars, myself and another member on here found that people sometimes tick the roll cage box and things become very expensive.  Try uprated sway bars if you have this issue.

Apart from loony power, modified insurance I found was not the minefield I had expected.

Spark.

yeah, I have specific needs, it need to be commute for the ambulance service and business insurance for them, it also needs to be driving school insurance, and modified.... very few companies cater for what I want, with the driving tuition side, most wont touch the car as its group 29 insurance, the ones that will wont toch me because I use it mostly from commuting to the ambulance job and rarely for tuition, and the remainders wont let me modify! I'm pretty chuffed I have got the policy I want :)

• Like 1

yeah, I have specific needs, it need to be commute for the ambulance service and business insurance for them, it also needs to be driving school insurance, and modified.... very few companies cater for what I want, with the driving tuition side, most wont touch the car as its group 29 insurance, the ones that will wont toch me because I use it mostly from commuting to the ambulance job and rarely for tuition, and the remainders wont let me modify! I'm pretty chuffed I have got the policy I want :)

Dave, it is a miracle you get cover, and these people haven't seen how you drive on track!!!!!

No, my point was that people should do what you did and interrogate the insurers more.  Something like the ARB thing above removes an additional cost you would otherwise have to consider alongside, purchase and fitting.

I think it's a great price all things considered.

• Like 1

Dave, it is a miracle you get cover, and these people haven't seen how you drive on track!!!!!

No, my point was that people should do what you did and interrogate the insurers more.  Something like the ARB thing above removes an additional cost you would otherwise have to consider alongside, purchase and fitting.

I think it's a great price all things considered.

indeed, when the broker checked, the insurer said "the ones that go under the car , right?!" lol.... could have been a "roll bar" rally style! pmsl....

I was fair chuffed when I insured the vrs. The Leon I had before was 11 hundred for the year. The vrs was 560 unmodified - not bad for a 23yo. I was dreading adding the modifications thinking I'd be declined insurance. I added exhaust, lowering springs, 10-25percent power increase and the vinyl wrap - price increase was 56quid! This was with elephant. There is a satisfaction driving around all kosher :)

• Like 1

I must be doing something wrong......... £700 for my last renewal! 25 y/o and 3 years no claims (only first got a policy in my name when I bought my MK1 VRS)

OK granted that the modifications have pumped it up by a little, but minus them its still around the £600 mark.

It is crazy how prices vary so much throughout the country :-(. This is the cheapest car insurance I have ever had and it's the most expensive/fastest car I've run. Last year I was paying £360 for a 1.4 diesel...

I'm 31 with 10 years no claims. Probably cheaper because I'm over 30 maybe :-)

adresses (postcode) make more of a difference than people think though... for example Allys postcode may be a high risk area... mine is a high premium because of the specifics I need it to cover (any driver for tuition, business use for ambulance service , mods ect ect )

I recon if I was just a normal commute and nothing else I could get it down to about £300... but then I have this £1500 claim hanging overmy head!

• Like 1

From what I've read, any incident reported gets onto the insurance database and risks/premiums are revised instantly for that postcode.

So if your neighbour has his expensive car nicked, you will pay for it.

Edited by xman

My Insurance Premiums must be going up weekly if that is how it works.

This area would be 1000 % increased risk from claims over the past few years.

They did put £20 on my vRS this year due to my fault claim,

but i decided that i would just accept the increase, since the new Premium of £192 was not really to much, 

and since it gives me Paired NCD on another 2 cars..

george

it is crazy how premiums vary, imho it shouldnt matter where you live, it costs the same to repair/replace the car whatever happens, wherever it is

we paid 370 for 2 cars protected ncd last month and i have a few blemishes on my career

it should be based purely on the car and driver, its nobody's fault if some thieving scroat lives near them or there's a high number of uninsured drivers, so long as you abide by the law and play by the rules why should you get punished

i'm lucky with what i pay listening to others yet it still winds me up

it is crazy how premiums vary, imho it shouldnt matter where you live, it costs the same to repair/replace the car whatever happens, wherever it is

we paid 370 for 2 cars protected ncd last month and i have a few blemishes on my career

it should be based purely on the car and driver, its nobody's fault if some thieving scroat lives near them or there's a high number of uninsured drivers, so long as you abide by the law and play by the rules why should you get punished

i'm lucky with what i pay listening to others yet it still winds me up

when I moved and changed from CA13 (lakes) to CA14 (Workington) even though I'm still in a quiet village (no crime) my insurance went up 20% ! :o not fair indeed!

In Europe CAR is insured, not DRIVER. Mind you, premiums are even higher than here...

UK has (went down recently) one of the lowest car insurance premiums in EU and it will be going down still.

Post Code based premiums have their justification. If you live in an area heaving with low lives then it is much more likely that say your car parked on the street will be run into by local joyriders compared to working families neighborhood cul-de-sac.

Insurance companies utilize very sophisticated statistical mathematics models to influence premiums, no "licked finger in the air" forecasting ;):D

I contest that though... I bet you couldnt even find my little village in the alkes, NO lowlifes ect , NO crime reported on the police site for years now, yet I'm classed as being in the ****ty town on the coast, where I wouldn't even park my car, justr because I fall in to the same postcode....

This w=one will have you in stiches.

Skoda lowering kit suspension change with Admiral.

Me - "I would like to declare the installation of the Suspension lowering kit from Skoda"

Admiral - "Is this suspension modification?"

Me - "Yes, it is Suspension lowering kit from Skoda"

Admiral - "More or less than 5cm lowered?"

Me - "Less, only 2cm"

Admiral - "OK Sir, there will be a charge and increase in your premium"

Me - "How come, I spoke to Admiral few weeks ago and I was told that this will not be the case"

Admiral - "We have no record of that phone call Sir"

Me - "This is hardly acceptable"

Then follows lots of waffling

Me - "So what is this increase then?"

Admiral - "£17.85 Sir where £17.10 is the admin charge"

Now I loose my plot and go on a rant

Me - "So effectively, since this phone all has been going of for no longer than 3 mins you are charging me circa £340/hr here"

Admiral - "Errrm, that indeed does not sound reasonable... BUT it is in our terms and conditions!" like she won a lottery there!

Me - "Is this compliant with Car Insurance Industry Code of Practice you are bound by?"

Admiral - "Errrm, I do not know that Sir..." 

Me - "OK, fine then, please get this change registered on my policy but I'd like to write a letter to you and complain about this practice"

Silence on the phone lasting half a second.

Admiral - "In this instance Sir I would be able to waive this charge but the remaining increase in your premium would have to be still charged... 17.85 take away 17.10 is ... £0.75" 

I start laughing

Admiral - "I think we will not charge 75p either in this instance Sir. I will however make a note that any further modifications to your policy will incur this admin charge in the future" 

I keep laughing softly

Admiral - "Is there anything else I could help with today Sir?"

Me - "Thank you for your help, good bye."

In fact she was really helpful as I never raised my voice and always stayed polite. End result is that I paid zilch :D.

I will still do my research into this as I think it it ridiculous practice with those admin fees. especially that the only only thing they do is tick a box on the electronic system, no papers, nothing posted, 20 secs of their time...

• Like 1