Av MPG Greenline II :(

According to MaxiDot...

1st 3500 miles: Av 58.3

2nd 3500 miles: Av 61.1

3rd 3500 miles: Av 61.3

Big difference from basic Greenline II spec is the carriage of a F/S spare wheel together with the factory fitted automatic climate control.

However, the 4 door VW Polo the Fabia replaced, which also carried a F/S spare and had auto climate control with a 1.4 TDI 80bhp engine, achieved Av 68 MPG on the same road/daily commute. (Standard model Polo - NOT Blue Motion).

At 10.5k on the clock I recon the Fabia engine should be loose enough to be giving  better MPG than I'm getting currently. I'd hoped to get at least as good an MPG to the standard Polo it replaced, but sadly the Fabia is not even close to that.

Underwhelmed...

tyre pressures? Also which tyres are you running? I know with the Citigo's a few of them came with different sets of tyres, eg. some were EcoContact 2's while other cars had different sets.

Is it possible you are driving it like a PD diesel?

When I got my Greenline II Fabia (with spare wheel and climatronic) it averaged high 60's until the engine had done around 5-6k miles.

Then it averaged 72mpg with 78mpg on runs keeping to 62mph.

That's real fill to fill calculations, not relying on the display which was optimistic claiming 80mpg+.

The PD has a nice bit of torque lower down but the CR engine suffers if you use too little revs and try to make progress.

I found I could get the fuel economy much worse if I didn't change down gear and get the turbo spinning to make progress.

Under about 2,000rpm any load on the engine seems to drop fuel economy quite a bit.

In short, they need to be driven a different way to maximise economy.  More like a petrol.

• Like 1

yep, keep revs up to improve mpg, very counter intuitive

I think part of the issue is below 1800-2000 rpm the engine produces more soot as not enough air due to turbo not spinning up to full speed, and as a result you find more regens which hurt the mpg

mine on motorway I am in mid to high 70s at 60-65mph

if I have aircon on that drops to 58-62mpg, quite a hit on mpg for aircon

mine came with Dunlop sport01's which if you look are "F" on the new tyre markings for economy/mpg,

also the tyres are narrower (185/60R15) compare to normal fabia (195/55R15) and as such need a higher pressure, mine are at 2.8bar / 40psi all round. a drop of 4-5psi can adversely affect mpg

Mine is approaching 55,000m and generally does 74 mpg or so. I am running the tyres at 41-42psi. The best I have seen is 94.2mpg average. Just back from a big trip. Friday, end of school term trip to north wales in slow traffic and 70-80mph in between, ac on max cold. Drive up there of mountain roads, etc. return journey much better and cruised at 60mph. Overall average was around 68mpg and return journey was giving 80mpg. Car was also fully loaded up.

I was very happy that when I renewed the tax it will have cost dvla to send it out due nil rate ved.

I have spoken to a friend who works for vag in engine development/research and he was explaining how use of the turbo reduces back pressure and helps the engine reduce fuel use. Goes against everything I thought I knew but dinky engines and dinky turbos are different I guess.

Next week I am fitting michelin energy saver pluses and they have a better energy rating than the dunlop sports so I am hoping to crack the 100mpg....how the hell did that bloke do 127mpg?

In summary, a cracking little car. Carries a dinghy, easy to park, estate swallows everything I throw at it, has cruise, is air conditioned and is reasonably cheap to run even with a main dealer....helps to off set the cost of the range rover!

I'm getting a 'Real World' average of 66.8mpg, taken over the last year (my baby is 1 year old on Saturday! :) ) the best I've seen is 70.5mpg (62mph on the M4 3 day's a week covering a 126 mile round trip) the worst 58mpg over the Christmas period doing lots of short journeys!

I've recently been getting High 60's (66 to 69mpg) and that's with the Air-Con (standard, not Climate) on constantly!!

I'm just happy with anything over 60mpg as my previous Car (2002 1.4 Civic) returned on average 42mpg.

I found it quite funny that the DVLA sent me, 1st a letter telling me to get a new Road Tax, then 2nd (after I ordered online) a piece of paper with 'NIL' on it to put in the window... Daft... must have cost them about £1.20 in postage, plus the Paper, Ink and envelopes.... times that by everyone who has a £0 VED vehicle and it mounts up!!

AKGqNIc.jpg

Still that's another £164 per year I don't have to spend either!! :)

Rab, yes as the guys are saying, it's a completely different driving technique that's needed to the standard 1422cc 80ps Polo or other Fabia's with that engine. Many folk change up into higher gears too early with this 1.2 TDI 3 cylinder engine. Avoid using 4th in towns and only use 5th gear when above 60 mph or more. It's a genuine overdrive and you won't always need to use it or be able to use it without the engine labouring a bit. You have a much higher final drive ratio than on the Polo. By avoiding changing up too early the engine isn't labouring and using more fuel that it needs. They are sensitive to when you change gear and many folk do still change up too early. Rev her gently to higher revs than you normally do before you change up into the next gear. Yes, I know. It sounds wrong, but it works. I know from experience. Ignore any dash lights telling you to change up early. You will notice an improvement if you practice your driving technique.

• Like 1

What are you best tank ranges ? Think my best 600 iirc

I usually fill up on about 550miles (580miles was my latest) but that's on one Full Segment plus the Red Segment on the dial... my trip computer tells me that's about 150miles on the range left.

So I reckon I'd get 700miles if I got down to fumes!!

bkszGxN.jpg

fuel gauge is definitely non linear

from full to first segment disappearing is about 1/3 of the tank, when you get to half you have used about 2/3 and half down disappears at increasing speed the near to the bottom you get

seems standard on all skoda's, citigo is worst I think

having said that I have done 30 miles with 0 range left, must of been pretty empty as it took 49ltrs to fill it up

What are you best tank ranges ? Think my best 600 iirc

Around 650-680 most of the time.

If it was a good eco tank I could just touch 700 but that was running it a little low.

The quoted capacity is 45 litres, but you can get a few more in the pipe.

I can get nearly 130 miles worth in the Pipe!...

Or at least that's what it feels like when I fill up to the brim (my OCD makes me get the pump to a whole number in £'s) and I do my usual commute to and from work (130ish mile round trip) and the needle doesn't even budge!

This is why I fill up when it gets to one segment above the Red, just makes sure I can get too and from work and fill up near home where its about 5p/ltr cheaper!! God forbid I have to fill up at a motorway services! at well over £1.45/ltr

Edited by Simoneale1973

I got 70-80mpg (indicated) on my greenline courtesy car a while back. I'd read about how to drive them on here previously so can vouch for the technique...basically I'd almost liken it to driving a petrol engined car economically. Light on the throttle, keep the revs up but don't go mad and coast as much as possible.

Definately ignore the dash shift lights.

You can also wind the windows down, listen to the engine and pretend you're on canal boat relaxing.

I say this in total jest, but It always makes me smile though when I see a greenline.............. They do have such skinny little tyres!!!!!!!!!

you made me think of the little red riding hood scene with the wolf in the bed

oh greenline, you do have skinny tyres

all the better for reducing rolling resistance  and improving mpg :)

oh greenline, you pump your tyres up more

all the better for reducing rolling resistance and improving mpg :)

• Like 2

you made me think of the little red riding hood scene with the wolf in the bed

oh greenline, you do have skinny tyres

all the better for reducing rolling resistance  and improving mpg :)

oh greenline, you pump your tyres up more

all the better for reducing rolling resistance and improving mpg :)

I do not know whether things have got better in the last few years but I remeber such articles as below...

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-Auto-Bild-Eco-Tyre-Test.htm

2010 Auto Bild Eco Tyre Test

autobild-logo.gif

With fuel prices sky high, "Eco Tyres" (or ultra low rolling resistance tyres) are a hot topic. Traditionally eco tyres have been just like normal tyres only with a harder rubber compound. While this is an effective way to save fuel, the harder the tyres compound the less grip it produces meaning people were having to consider whether the risk of low grip tyres was worth the savings in fuel.

This month Autobild have tested 5 of the latest eco tyres to see if the new breed of fuel saving tyres were any better. Unfortunately their conclusion isn't good, summarising with "the greater the fuel saving, the worse the wet weather performance."

To rate the tyres Autobild looked at the tyres wet grip, dry grip and potential fuel savings over 35,000kms. To confirm the "the more fuel saved the worse the wet grip is" rule the Michelin Energy Saver offered the highest fuel savings (217euros) but the worst wet grip. The only tyre to buck the trend was the Pirelli Cinturato P7 which managed to balance grip and economy, winning the test overall.

Here are the full results:

tPirelli_Cinturato_P7.jpg 1st: Pirelli CINTURATO P7

Total: 9 / Dry: 5 / Wet: 4

Positive: Impressive all-rounder with satisfactory savings. Harmonious driving characteristics with stable cornering and short braking distances on wet and dry roads. Good ride comfort and a low rolling noise.

Negative: None mentioned.

tTURANZA_ER300_ECOPIA.jpg 2nd: Bridgestone Turanza ER300 Ecopia

Total: 8 / Dry: 4 / Wet: 4

Positive: Dynamic sporty handling with short braking distances on dry and wet roads, large safety reserves with a low rolling noise and aquaplaning.

Negative: Limited fuel saving potential.

tNokian_V.jpg 3rd: Nokian V

Total: 7 / Dry: 4 / Wet: 3

Positive: Balanced safe handling characteristics on wet and dry roads, high safety reserves in standing water, short braking distances in the wet, satisfying fuel saving potential.

Negative: Slightly reduced ride comfort.

tgoodyear_efficientgrip.jpg 4th: Goodyear EfficientGrip

Total: 6 / Dry: 2 / Wet: 4

Positive: Low rolling resistance, high fuel-saving potential, short braking distances on dry roads, good ride comfort.

Negative: Limited cornering on wet and dry roads and long wet stopping distance.

tenergy_saver.jpg 5th: Michelin Energy Saver

Total: 6 / Dry: 1 / Wet: 5

Positive: Low rolling resistance, high fuel-saving potential, dynamic driving characteristics on dry roads.

Negative: Extended stopping distances and understeer on a wet road surface, reduced aquaplaning safety reserves.

Edited by lol-lol

Good conclusion for in the dry, but the opposite can be true on in the wet and cold.

Enough grip and traction, how a vehicle is used and  for the conditions can be enough.

Greenlines in ditches or breakers yards is not a common site, but cars with wider and low profile rubber are.

george

could it be us GLII drivers are more sedate and do not push the cars (or tyres) to the limits of grip as it would ruin our mpg figures :p  :p :p  :p  

that being said, the new tyre marking scheme does make it simpler to compare wet and dry grip performance

the new Dunlop BlueResponses I have on the front apparently have more wet grip than the standard Dunlop sport01's that came off and well as being a "B" for economy as opposed to the "F" for sport01's

modern compounds have made a massive improvement the last few years I think

• Like 1

Am I the only one who now has the deadly known disease "MPG Itis"

I'm obsessed, it rules my life, so much so I'm trying to convince the wife to wear less, all in aid of saving weight, not what you lot are prob thinking!!!! Lol

nah, I have it as well,

68mpg on way back from derby to kent today, with aircon , 1.5 hours of crawling due to accident on m1, so not to bad

best I have had is 92.3mpg kent to brum once

if you really want to save weight, leave the wife at home :) :)

• Like 1

It's an obvious conclusion, less rubber on the road, less grip availiable, simples!

Interesting that I have a non greenline, but can still hit 70+ MPG.

Actually not the case although commonly thought so.

The Coefficient of Friction is depended on the two materials and varies with the temperature of both those materials and the key to grip.

The key on the road and on the track is to have tyres that are optimal for the condtions.

The new Tyre labelling is helpful in this area of economy and grip.  I would not buy tyres that are less than B rates in both wet grip and efficiency and hence use the new Nexen N'FERA, cheap and good.

Interesting video Octy laping similar lap taps to R8 in the wet........

http://youtu.be/s_abW86x9Fc

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Close to losing the plot now...

Have tried to adjust my driving 'style' - not throwing it into a higher gear at the earliest opportunity, keeping the rpm between 2/2.5k whatever the gear and only using 5th on the m/w when my speed is 60+ and I'm still only getting average low 60's mpg!

To top it all, I've been in a dealer courtesy car for the past couple of days whilst mine is in getting work done under warranty, and the standard Fabia hatch 1.6 TDI, (which had only 15 miles on the clock when I got it), is getting better mpg figures on the same drive than my Greenline II. (which now boasts 14.5k on the clock!).

I simply don't get why my mpg is so cr@p !