Urgent help required. Timing chain issues, please read!

This fault affects 2.0TSI and 1.8TSI engines across the whole VAG range.

Interesting. Looking at the pinned thread that we spoke in, it looks to be mostly 2009-2010 version... I wonder whether they've upgraded/changed the chain belt in the latest TSI engines?

With those upgrades I think you have 2 hope's ... no hope and Bob Hope.

Possibly, although they make absolutely no difference and have no impact on the timing chain or tensioner. It'll be hard for them to prove otherwise if it gets that far.

Read this morning Skoda will help with timing chain/tensioner failure on vehicles upto 5 year's old. Also read that these vehicles must have full dealer service history.

Where did you read this please?

Read this morning Skoda will help with timing chain/tensioner failure on vehicles upto 5 year's old. Also read that these vehicles must have full dealer service history.

Not sure whether that's correct. Mines just been sorted under the warranty and it's only had 1 skoda stamp out of 5 and they had no problem covering it. Dealer history isn't really important, unless you're out of warranty and after a good will gesture.

As long as your car has been serviced to the correct standards using genuine parts, you'll be ok

Yours must be one of the very last 1.8 pre fl then as engines changed at the same time as the fl.

You mean one of the first? Anyway, according to Skoda, ALL mk2 1.8's are chain driven: it's only the 2.0 which changed around the facelift.

Interestingly, from speaking to the parts guy at one of my local dealer recently, the only chain/tensioner issue which Skoda are actively aware of is in the 1.2! Seems they've been failing quite a bit by the sounds of it.

Edited by blackspaven

Not sure whether that's correct. Mines just been sorted under the warranty and it's only had 1 skoda stamp out of 5 and they had no problem covering it. Dealer history isn't really important, unless you're out of warranty and after a good will gesture.

As long as your car has been serviced to the correct standards using genuine parts, you'll be ok

Yours sorted because ....as you say it's currently under extended warranty.

You mean one of the first? Anyway, according to Skoda, ALL mk2 1.8's are chain driven: it's only the 2.0 which changed around the facelift.

Interestingly, from speaking to the parts guy at one of my local dealer recently, the only chain/tensioner issue which Skoda are actively aware of is in the 1.2! Seems they've been failing quite a bit by the sounds of it.

No as in one of the last pre face lifts as I was led to believe that the 1.8 also swapped from belt to chain at the FL. There are some pre FL vRS with the newer engines.

The 1.8 TSI engine has always been chain driven in pre facelift & facelift  models,its only the 2.0t fsi engine that had a timing belt, the facelift & the pre facelift ltd editions had the chain driven TSI engine fitted. 

• 3 months later...

Just had my engine replaced in my 10 plate octavia vrs with only 41k on clock. Cam chain tensioner failed taking out the engine, Skoda uk replaced the engine under good will and only charged me 50% of the labour costs £324 in total. I've asked Skoda if have a new engine number but they've told me the engine number is the same as it's a direct replacement. Would this be correct?