Air Con leak

Hi guys,

I have a leak in my air conditioning system on my Octavia L&K 2.0 TDI.

It's been detected at the white plastic "bung/plug" on the right hand side of the air con rad / condenser.

Is it possible to get a replacement bung/plug for this? I'm having a real hard time even finding out what it's called not to mind find a replacement.

Thanks in advance

post-66418-0-63795100-1406818186_thumb.jpg

As far I know, you can, but not 100 percent sure.

One thing I do know is that your condenser looks battered, a bit like mine befor I had it replaced.

You might get away with removing it, putting some plumbers tape around the threads and screwing back in.

Yeah that's what my air con guy told me.

Unfortunately we could not get it to budge, so with a little persuasion using a heat gun we got it out. Turns out it had been put in there with some sort of bondfix/putty by the previous owner - so the bung now definitely needs replacing.

From my research - that is actually the receiver/drier??

My one was leaking from there and I couldn't  move it. Skoda didn't have any plugs and their parts sheet for my age and model showed a different type of  condenser with no plug.

I was told the condenser was a "denso" type so I emailed Denso who denied ever supplying Skoda with AC parts. 

I ended up fitting a cheap replacement as the cooling fins were starting to rot.

My one was leaking from there and I couldn't  move it. Skoda didn't have any plugs and their parts sheet for my age and model showed a different type of  condenser with no plug.

I was told the condenser was a "denso" type so I emailed Denso who denied ever supplying Skoda with AC parts. 

I ended up fitting a cheap replacement as the cooling fins were starting to rot.

You fitted a cheap replacement condenser?

Isn't the drier just bolted on to the condenser - like a seperate pipe - which contains that plastic bung which is leaking?

I was told the condenser was a "denso" type so I emailed Denso who denied ever supplying Skoda with AC parts.

to rot.

Liers they are. They do provide VAG with HVAC systems. As they one of the biggest manufacturers of these systems.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

...Isn't the drier just bolted on to the condenser - like a seperate pipe...

There are two types fitted to the Mk2. Some are a separate pipe and some are in integral part of the condenser.

The 'separate pipe' type have two screws on the bottom and are replaced. Just to add to the confusion, some have a 'bung' permanently fitted to the top which should never be removed.

The 'integral part' ones are permanently welded to the condenser and have 'bung' (and sometimes a circlip) on the top. You remove the bung to replace the desiccant insert inside.

There are two types fitted to the Mk2. Some are a separate pipe and some are in integral part of the condenser.

The 'separate pipe' type have two screws on the bottom and are replaced. Just to add to the confusion, some have a 'bung' permanently fitted to the top which should never be removed.

The 'integral part' ones are permanently welded to the condenser and have 'bung' (and sometimes a circlip) on the top. You remove the bung to replace the desiccant insert inside.

God DAMN!!! I honestly have no idea then whether or not mine is the seperate or integral.

May as well just replace the condenser as the replacements all come 'with dryer'

Thanks.

It would appear so.

In that case you, would normally just buy a drier kit. Undo the plug and hook out the desiccant insert. Use the parts in the kit to seal the drier.

Make sure the condenser hasn't been replaced with an aftermarket one, or you may find the kit doesn't work.

If the drier has been damaged, you will have to replace the condenser/drier.

In that case you, would normally just buy a drier kit. Undo the plug and hook out the desiccant insert. Use the parts in the kit to seal the drier.

Make sure the condenser hasn't been replaced with an aftermarket one, or you may find the kit doesn't work.

If the drier has been damaged, you will have to replace the condenser/drier.

Ok thanks - now here comes the million dollar question - where would i find the drier kit?

I've phoned my main dealer - they claim to know nothing about a kit - they can only provide an actual drier.

Ok thanks - now here comes the million dollar question - where would i find the drier kit?

I've phoned my main dealer - they claim to know nothing about a kit - they can only provide an actual drier.

Do you have the part numbers from the condenser?

Do you know if it's the original one?

The kit usually looks like this

desiccate.jpg

Do you have the part numbers from the condenser?

Do you know if it's the original one?

The kit usually looks like this

desiccate.jpg

Thanks for that.

I actually got it sorted. Got a spare bung/cap cover from a breakers yard - had to cut it as it had a longer piece with a mesh gauze which wasn't in the bung i took out.

Used some plumbers tape around the threading and put it into the top of the receiver/drier.

Got my AC guy to pressure test the system - and whatdya know - no leak any more.

Finally enjoying a nice cool car.

Thanks for all of the replies and help guys.