Timing belt replacement

Just got my timing belt done at my local garage, they had quoted me €350 all in, genuine Skoda parts before I got it done but when I went to pick it up this evening it was €490.. reason being that there was a part which they reckoned needed to be done that didn't come with the kit - the Belt Damper... :devil:

they said the damper was an additional €120 +vat from the stealers but it didn't come with the kit and that it should be done each change as they've seen them go in the past on other models..

anyone know does the damper really need to be changed each time the timing belt is done (are they on the same service interval)? and if so why the hell don't Skoda supply it as part of the kit..

ripping at the moment as that 140 quid is money I didn't have to spare

I'd also be pretty blinking miffed at them carrying out work you've not authorized. Whenever I've had something done at a garage, they say 'we'll do x and it will cost about y'. If when they get into the job they find there's more involved, I'd expect them to call you and say 'real sorry but we've found that you're also going to need this which means cost is now gonna be around z - are we ok to go ahead?' - not just do the damn thing and then add 140 to the bill...

The Garage I was dealing with ordered the kit themselves from Skoda - I don't know what part number it was.. it was for a AUQ 1.8T engine code

I'm gonna call my local Skoda parts store today just to see how much a kit is with\without the tensioner as €140 seems to be very excessive

Genuine tensioner and roll are made by NTN  and Gates belt,buy them on aftermarket and much much cheaper

Gates kits came with NTN tensioner and roll ,and gates belt of course

this is from a passat,but still applies

7610_x800.jpg