Trip to R-Tech

At long last, I made it to R-Tech in Hinckley today to get my car mapped. I'd been waiting for this day for about 2 months, but it was well worth the wait, even though my car still has an issue to be sorted out. I can't thank Niki, Ben and Marcus enough for their work and I will return later on in the year to free up the power that is crying to be let loose.

The guys found the usual split pipe or two following a smoke test to check for leaks. And then it was on to checking for fault codes, which I had several, a couple known and one unknown. It turns out that the cam timing is slightly off, which is badly affecting ignition and top end power.

On just actuator pressure with the N75 unplugged, it made base figures of 217.3bhp and 228.73lbft. I came away with detuned figures of 223.2bhp and 265.39lbft and a huge smile on my face. Bigger numbers were seen but Niki backed it off to keep things safe, even though I won't be revving above 5000rpm until I've got the cam timing and map sorted out.

Anyway, I am glad that I made the 280-mile round trip for mapping and thoroughly recommend R-Tech. Even better was that the computer was reading just over 44mpg for the day's antics, including dyno time.

• Like 3

Sounds good mate and glad it wqs worth the drive, hopefully you can get the others bits sorted soon. I must admit i hope to be having stage 2 installed once the exhaust is in stock but i firmly beleive they will find problems with my car when mapping lol

I'll certainly be heading that way once I've got all the hardware in place, I keep hearing raving reviews about r-tech!

I've been keeping an eye on your threads and been eagerly awaiting how you got on. I know figures mean nothing apart from bragging rights but how does it feel on the road?

Cheers,

Cal

Edited by OctyCal

Ive heard too many good things about these blokes my wallet is getting afraid! Just one question though. Did they tell you how its possible your cam timing is out? Have you had a new belt fitted?

Great news :-) I had my stage 2 done at Rtech too, mine made 237hp, 270tq, but my cam timing is off too. I'd be grateful if you could tell me where you get your cam timing sorted, cheers :-)

For what R-Tech charge for a top quality custom map, as well as fault-finding and numerous cups of tea and coffee, it is a serious bargain. Just make sure you take some biscuits too!

I find the cam timing thing a bit strange, as I've not touched the belt in my ownership and the fault (a 16395 code) only popped in recent months after I fitted the fuel pump, oil and filter, fuel filter, plugs and all the other bits and bobs. I've not been around the cam belt area. However, I trust Niki 100% that the cam timing is out. Also, there was an ex-VW tech there yesterday, whose name I didn't catch, on a social visit and he confirmed exactly the same thing regarding setting the cam timing correctly, as it's so easy to get wrong, especially on Audi TTs where there is less room in the engine bay.

What they explained to me went a bit over my head and I'd not looked into the subject of the timing belt before I went over to Hinckley, but I'll try and describe it here. From what I understand, the exhaust cam pulley isn't keyed like some engines but is marked. When you stick the belt on, the tensioner is unloaded and held in place with a pin. When you pull the pin out to tension the belt, the timing can shift, so it is critical that this accounted for when the belt is initially located. Also, the timing marks never line up, which can be quite strange for someone who'd not done one before.

Azzy, the aforementioned ex-VW tech is hopefully setting up nearby to R-Tech, so what I plan to do is to make the same journey in October to Hinckley, have the belt and water pump done properly first thing in the morning and then Niki can finish off the map in the afternoon. Because I'm so far away, I don't want to risk having it done incorrectly local to me or even making a hash of it myself. I need to get it right first time! It will be worth dropping Ben at R-Tech an email to express your interest if you want to go this route too, but at least you are in the same part of the country as them, unlike myself!

Anyway, a picture and a scan of the traces:

SDC10373-vi.jpg

IMG_20140801_0002-vi.jpg

Mid-range and boost are good, but top-end power is down. The missus is going to drive it this morning. She will **** her knickers I think compared to before...